1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1997-99 donor explorer for '51 F1

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 05:57 PM
Jaybird51
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997-99 donor explorer for '51 F1

Now that I looking for a specific type 8.8 rear axle out of an 1997-01 Explorer, I wondering if there are any other known usable parts that my '51 F1 rebuild would benefit from. Perhaps the AC system, PS, brake system components, alternator, etc. I'm not afraid of or inexperienced with modifying and fabricating. This all, of course, would be in addition to the 351W I am already rebuilding. Just wondering if any F1 builders have been down this path and could comment. BTW, I'm still working on the picture sharing thing.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Jaybird51
New User
1951 F1 restoration/Build project pictures

Hope this works. Here is the link to pictures of Jaybird51's 1951 F1 project truck.
Pictures by Jaybird51 - Photobucket

Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome Jaybird, looks like a great project. I have a 52 that I put a 2000 Explorer 8.8 in with disc brakes. The only other Explorer parts that I have are the seats. Let us know if you do use other stuff, I am interested in the AC conversion if you do it. I am not wild about Vintage air and the like that put the condenser and the dryer in the same box to save room. Here in Houston they just don't cut it. An Explorer would have a good AC since it had much more to cool...
Good luck, and the link did work. Cheers!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Jaybird51
New User
Thanks for the reply;
I'm thinking if I get a donor Explorer I would like to use as much off of it as possible. Even if I found the smallest body size Explorer's AC, it would still turn an F1 into a meat locker. I agree with the notion of not going bankrupt rebuilding vehicles with after market fit to build expensive goodies. maybe I will look at a smaller Ford econobox for a better AC fit. Either way I intend on installing dash and center counsil AC difusers. I have a few questions if you don't mind.
What brand Mustang-II IFS did you use?
What year Explorer 8.8 axle was installed.
Where did the rear frame gas tank come from, or did you fab it?
I looked at your album pictures, but could not determine engine or trans.
Your build is very much parallel with what I have planed and in the works.
I realy got a kick out of the picture showing chassis turn on it's side to make the welding easier. You are a few months ahead of my current build schedule, but i would imagine that we will be sharing experiences.
Jaybird51

Old 08-10-2012, 02:56 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Just Subscribing - I am wanting to do the same eventually

I am just subscribing to this thread. Looking at your photos Jaybird51...not sure why you would want to use the Explorer interior with the convertible interior space that you currently have. Just kidding....anyway, I just bought a 1952 F2 from a friend and plan to do a similar conversion.

I am a late model Mustang man, so I am planning to go the Explorer rear as well because I am familiar and I can also use similar wheels to my 'stangs. I will also be doing a Mustang II IFS. This is all eventually though as I am only planning on accumulating parts now.

Question for anyone on the Ford Explorer Rear: I found a rear from a local yard that is still in the vehicle. It is a 2000 3.73 LS (which is the ratio that I prefer for a cruiser). What components should I ask to be part of the deal?

I am thinking:
-Rear from Disc to Disc including brakes
-Brake tube/hose brackets
-calipers
-sway bar/stabilizer????
-leaf springs????

I hate to stockpile this, and forget to ask for a piece that will be useful in the end. I would look for a full Explorer for the seats and to make sure I get it all, but I only need the rear and my wife would kill me if I had a junk Explorer sitting around...even if I have convinced myself that I can make money scrappin' it.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Things I think of:
The lower spring plates, u-bolts if possible. These axle tubes are 3.25" diameter.
I would get the e-brake bracket on the outside drivers side frame about where the back of the door opening is.
Sway bar and links FOR SURE.
I don't know if the upper shock mounts are removeable, but if they are, get them. There is a pinion snubber shock mount too. on the axle and on the frame.
If u need to buy new leaf spring perches, Curries enterprises sells the 3.25"
correct ones.
I didn't use the leaf springs, I thought I was going to use the originals at first, and didn't. I have the spring setup from an '89 dodge dakota. I had to install add-a-leafs to stiffen it up a bit.
On an F2 (mines an F3, the same width) you may need spacers for the wheels. I did, but I am using F1 fenders on my F3 bed. Hope that helps.
If I think of more I will add to the list.

edit: somebody else used the explorer springs but I don't know who.
The sway bar mounts up like it was made for our trucks.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I don't know what your plans are for an engine, but the explorer 5.0 fits really nice. The explorers had the shortest front engine accessory of any 5.0 motors of that era. and the EFI setup is quite compatible with the EFI swap info using the EEC IV MAF ''92-'93 Mustang setup.
I you are just collecting parts, it's something to look into.
If you want anymore info, let me know. I can help a little or find the info you want. I have been researching this stuff for a good year now, or longer.

edit: also the power brake unit/master cylinder/ and pedal assembly that I have seen in the explorers, is a good possibility as a donor. I don't have one yet, but will be getting it soon.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:21 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Jeff, good point on the Explorer 5.0. They have the GT40p heads and the equivalent to a 93 Cobra intake. Depending on what is desired a cam change could get respectable power with the Mustang A9L computer.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by REDHTGT
Jeff, good point on the Explorer 5.0. They have the GT40p heads and the equivalent to a 93 Cobra intake. Depending on what is desired a cam change could get respectable power with the Mustang A9L computer.
Correct me if i am wrong. My '96 Explorer 5.0 has the GT40 heads '97- '01 had the P's they have a different angle on the spark plugs, and many say that standard headers for a 5.0 won't fit, but alot of guys have said that the angle vs. header problem is not a big deal to overcome. I guess you have to take the headers loose to change a plug or two. With the way headers always seem to develop a gasket leak, it wouldn't be a big deal.
A9L for the manual tranny, A9P for an AOD.
I like what I got going on so far!

Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Jaybird, The Explorer rear end that I used came from a 2000. It is a 373 gear with disc brakes. The gas tank came from CPP, the MII from TCI through Speedway. The engine and trans was from the PO, a Chevy 350 with a TH350. I have since changed the trans to a 700r4 so that I could have overdrive. If it hadn't already had the 350 I would have used a 302 with an AOD. I hung the frame from my A frame so that it was easier to get to all sides. It would have been easier with a rotisserie and if I do another truck or car I will make one.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
From where the thermostat machine surface-to the front of the fan is only 8 inches. Thats not much.
it leaves plenty of room for the stock fanblade or electric fan.
even if you were planning to use a carb instead of EFI, the front bracketry is very space saving.

I can't wait to hear this thing fire up! But it takes time, so....on to the transmission rebuild...

Old 08-10-2012, 05:51 PM
Jaybird51
New User
REDHTGT,
It sounds as if you are working the same build plan i trying myself. I have found it very helpfull to take along a digital camera and a tape measure on my bone yard trips. If I strip individual parts out of donor vehicles, I usually take pictures and measurements before doing so. This way you can reference back to your notes as to how the donor parts were design in their original state. Especially with the rear axle swaps. Example: Prior to taking a rear axle out of a donor, try using something like the drivers side hub flange as a measurement reference point for other relative chassis tie-in areas. Pictures to. Then when you, months later, go to install the rear axle on your F1 chassis you will have some design geometry that will allow you to maintain most of the original axle design ride performance. I guess that changes the old adage to; measure four times, take a 1000 pictures and install once. Good luck with your adventure. As I get more donor like info, I will share.
Jaybird51

Old 08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Correct me if i am wrong. My '96 Explorer 5.0 has the GT40 heads '97- '01 had the P's they have a different angle on the spark plugs, and many say that standard headers for a 5.0 won't fit, but alot of guys have said that the angle vs. header problem is not a big deal to overcome. I guess you have to take the headers loose to change a plug or two. With the way headers always seem to develop a gasket leak, it wouldn't be a big deal.
Beautiful, Jeff and Nicolle!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Jeff, that is a great set-up. You are correct with the P heads. They had a revised combustion chamber design that made the plugs perpendicular to the head instead of angled. There is one brand of header that will fit, but it is obscure..maybe JBA? Who knows if any will work in the truck chassis.... The year engine that you have is the easiest parts....it is nearly the 93 Cobra engine with a truck cam.
Also you are correct on the ecms. The A9L is for manuals and the A9P is automatic. Be careful if you interchange...if I can remember properly the fuel pump or ground is a different pin on the ECM. Again...nice job with the engine!

Jaybird,
That is great advice! I love to figure things out on junk cars.. The problem with me is that there are no u pull its near me...I think it is something that wonderful NY makes difficult or illegal to run. Maybe more reasons to buy a donor That is a great build that you have going! I will keep watching to see where it goes....and will probably follow many pointers.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Thanks guys,
I will not pretend I know-it-all, because I don't! Everyday is a learning experience. I have had some great help here with my project and will not take full credit on my own.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
This place is an invaluable asset for sure.

Quick Reply: 1997-99 donor explorer for '51 F1