Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Clueless spectator!

akamacgyver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.akamacgyver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fan clutch removal, a new trick!

Hey guys,

I had my welder with me today, and I was going to make a gizmo to hold the water pump pulley in order to unscrew the fan clutch. I had the motor out, so it was easy to get a good look at it and realized that this would work great.

Name:  0805121256.jpeg
Views: 2100
Size:  215.9 KB

Just take a large open end wrench, I used a 7/8 but any wrench with a long enough handle to hit the crank pulley will do. Place it on the back side of the water pump pulley, over one of the protruding bolts that mount the pulley, and rotate the pulley until the wrench contacts the crank pulley. It gives you a super solid lock on the water pump pulley and you have both hands free to work with. Mine came off easily with nowhere near enough force applied to do any damage to the threads on the bolt, and it was locktited on.

Remember, reverse thread, or in this case righty loosey leftie tighty!

Good luck,

Mac.

Remember, none of us knows more than all of us!
93 F-250 2WD E40D Bone stock except for a Banks Sidewinder, exhaust and gauges.
94 F-250 S-cab 4WD IDIT E40D SAS w/ shackle reversal & 3" rear blocks, Glowshift gauges, Coolant filter, Trans cooler t-stat.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Posting Guru

RacinNdrummin is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
*like*... Thats a better way than most...

2013 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost CC 6.5'bed
Old 08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
A Half a meatball....

Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.Aune163rd has a very good reputation on FTE.
Reps sent for taht one, that is genius...however would it still work on the V-Belt system? I saw your motor is serp belt....I prefer the Serp belt myself.
Quintin Aune BigBs'r #21 & Off. Slackmaster #31
1984 F250 6.9l N/A 212,000 miles Wrecked 26 Oct 11
1990 F-350 7.3l IDI ZF-5(sold)
2000 F-250 6.8l Triton V10 209k miles
2006 F-250 5.4l Triton V8 129k Loaded XL
Old 08-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Clueless spectator!

akamacgyver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.akamacgyver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
would it still work on the V-Belt system?
I'm not entirely sure, I have never played with the v-belt system, but one would think so, The pump is the same, so the bolts for the pulley would still be there, and we know the crank pulley will still be there! A different wrench might be in order, but it still should work. If anyone with a v-belt system tries it let us know. I want to add, be aware of how much torque you are putting on your pump if you try this, I know for sure that mine came off with slow even force that was nowhere near what it would take to crack the cast pump housing, but physics dictate that when push comes to shove, something has got to give, and the cast pump is the weakest link in this chain. I guess what I am saying, is that if you need to lay across your motor to get a foot on your wrench to get the fan clutch off, that might be too much on your pump!

94 F-250 S-cab 4WD IDIT E40D SAS w/ shackle reversal & 3" rear blocks, Glowshift gauges, Coolant filter, Trans cooler t-stat.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Senior User

Mikey Oldaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
so the easiest that mine has ever come off was with everything on still and i made sure that the belts were good and tight as if i was planning on running the motor that moment so that nothing is slipping and i just used a pair of big pliers on mine and it took not much force for it to come off lol idk just a thought to keep in mind and the pump didnt move anywhere it might work on serp also but i havent had a serp in a while
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Clueless spectator!

Mikey, that is not really an option on the serp belt, I think because of the opposing directions of the belts and the much larger amount of surface area a v-belt contacts coupled with the fact that you can "over tighten" a v-belt, which is not an option with a serp belt unless you use a clamp or something, which would not be good for the belt. I know that on both my trucks, the pulley starts slipping long before the fan clutch could possibly break loose. Another thing to keep in mind is that you say, " i just used a pair of big pliers on mine and it took not much force for it to come off" It should be tightened pretty snug and have lock tight on it. These motors stop very suddenly when shut off. If that fan clutch is loose, it could wind up in your radiator!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:51 AM
Posting Guru

Ford4Life7.3 has a good reputation on FTE.Ford4Life7.3 has a good reputation on FTE.Ford4Life7.3 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akamacgyver View Post
Mikey, that is not really an option on the serp belt, I think because of the opposing directions of the belts and the much larger amount of surface area a v-belt contacts coupled with the fact that you can "over tighten" a v-belt, which is not an option with a serp belt unless you use a clamp or something, which would not be good for the belt. I know that on both my trucks, the pulley starts slipping long before the fan clutch could possibly break loose. Another thing to keep in mind is that you say, " i just used a pair of big pliers on mine and it took not much force for it to come off" It should be tightened pretty snug and have lock tight on it. These motors stop very suddenly when shut off. If that fan clutch is loose, it could wind up in your radiator!
Thats what mine did. Turned it off and CLUNK SLAM BANG. Bye bye radiator and shroud lol
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM
The Dr. will see you now!

Christof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud ofChristof13T has much to be proud of
christof13t
Removed and reinstalled one today while swapping water pumps using a 1" ratchet strap to hold the pulley in place. Wrapped the pulley completely with the ratchet strap and looped it around the crank pulley. Few good clicks and it didnt budge while i removed the clutch/ reinstalled. The pulley on this truck sweeps too far back to get a wrench in there, the tightness of a brand new belt wasnt enough to hold it.

The old pump was missing the passenger's side far corner mounting bolt. Wasnt leaking too much from there before so i was hoping it would hold again... no such luck. So off to lowes in the morning to get a bolt.
Chris-PAA#130
Motorbug:2000 F350 Lariat CC,LB,6x6 7.3DIT,4" Turbo-Back, IH Bellowed Uppies, RiffRaff FRx&AIH Delete, Hutch/Harpoon,6637, 05-07facelift, dual cowl induction hood, Glowshift Max Tow gauges, antique BullyDog 1 Toon chip, 10k, Air Lift on rear axle, All the hitches!
420k & counting AE Total Ford Enhanced Bundle
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Elder User

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
reviving an old thread

So i got my AC charged and the mechanic thinks i need a new fan clutch. I'm having trouble reading up on how this fan clutch works and why i need it. My fan spins at the rate of my RPM's, and can anyone explain why a clutch needs to engage? Sorry for the dumb question, and will replacing it help cool my AC condenser like my mechanic claims?
1988 Ford E250 Club Wagon | 7.3 IDI + Hypermax Van Turbo Kit | C6+GVOD w/ MaxOD Deep Sump & Electric Temp Probe | Wrapped Pipes & Turbo w/ Auber Instrument EGT/Boost Gauge | 4" Dia. Alum Driveshaft | 4.10 Gears | 32-gal Custom Alum fuel tank w/ Centroid sending unit | NAPA Coolant Filter | Michelin LRR 16" treads | Chrome Warn Winch Bumper | 115W PV Array | Brass Heatercore shutoff valves | Aftermarket Steering Stabilizer | Synthetic Lube all-around.
1998 Jetta TDI.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Diesel Junkie

FORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud ofFORDF250HDXLT has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
So i got my AC charged and the mechanic thinks i need a new fan clutch. I'm having trouble reading up on how this fan clutch works and why i need it. My fan spins at the rate of my RPM's, and can anyone explain why a clutch needs to engage? Sorry for the dumb question, and will replacing it help cool my AC condenser like my mechanic claims?
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/84...ml#post7461511
♠ Log Truck: '93 F-Super Duty (F450) XLT 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 5:13, Dually, 16' Dump & Auto Crane ♠
♠ Chip Truck: '93 F250HD XLT 4x4 1st Gen Navistar 444ci IDI Diesel w/ Intercooled 2nd Gen Banks Sidewinder Turbo, E40D, 3.55, Dually, 9' Dump, & Plow ♠

Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Postmaster

'94IDITurbo7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eric Steller
Mac, genius on the wrench trick.

F250, thanks for that cool link!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_Eater View Post
Myth: An IDI is slow going up hills.
Fact: It's slow going down the hills as well.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Posting Guru

Ford F834 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the tip... That is ~slick!!! Off-topic but related... What do you all use on that big nut? The tool sells on eBay for like 80$-90$, does everyone here own one of those or is there another tool that works? Anyone know what size that is? The fan clutch tools they sell at the local parts houses all look too small..,
Old 04-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Elder User

kobaltblue is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I use a strap wrench, Its a chain oil filter wrench adjusts to any size and has nice gripper teeth.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 AM
Elder User

genscripter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the link. that helps a lot for testing--i'm pretty sure my fan clutch fails #2, because from memory, i know there is no viscous drag when I was replacing belts on the ol' van. I'm resigned to replacing the clutch regardless. Is there a thread that explains the operation of the fan clutch? It'd be great to see an animation or video of how it works.
1988 Ford E250 Club Wagon | 7.3 IDI + Hypermax Van Turbo Kit | C6+GVOD w/ MaxOD Deep Sump & Electric Temp Probe | Wrapped Pipes & Turbo w/ Auber Instrument EGT/Boost Gauge | 4" Dia. Alum Driveshaft | 4.10 Gears | 32-gal Custom Alum fuel tank w/ Centroid sending unit | NAPA Coolant Filter | Michelin LRR 16" treads | Chrome Warn Winch Bumper | 115W PV Array | Brass Heatercore shutoff valves | Aftermarket Steering Stabilizer | Synthetic Lube all-around.
1998 Jetta TDI.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Senior User

Dark Horse is starting off with a positive reputation.
It has been a while so I am not sure of the size it is either a 50 or 55 mm open end wrench. I will double check when I get a chance. (I didn't by the wrenches I already had them from another job.)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L)