Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM
oilersfan_39
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering question

Hey guys first post here but here's the question
I bought a 1995 f150 few weeks ago and to pass inspection I needed some
Work done. So I got, 4in bds lift with full leafs in the back, steerin box, wheel bearings, new ball joints (all 4) and new 33x12.5 duratrac tires mounted on steel wheels 15x8 and a few other things that don't matter for steering and front end.

Anyways my steering is all over the road even after an alignment and balance of my tires. My question is a steering stablizer would Obviously help this but should I be all over the road running this current set up?

Also what stabilizer is best and should I go to the extent of having a dubble? I don't like the looks of them but how good do the singles work for bump steer

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You need to find the exact cause of its "steering is all over the road" and do what is necessary to correct it, do it right rather then install a stabilizer to mask it. One won't correct for "bump steer" if that is whats going on.

Alignment might not be done right, might need correct some steering geometry due to the lift kit or might be caused by combination of both.

What does this "lift" consist of exactly, complete kit? anything done with the south end of the radius arms? Done to maintain a workable caster angle? How about TTB pivot points? anything done with those to maintain a workable camber setting?

Both those areas addressed correctly when the lift was installed? or just stuffed in a couple of over sized coils up front to create the "lift" called it "good"? Then maybe used maximum degree of correction adjusting camber/caster bushings to try correct for those angles on the alignment rack? well best they could that is with what they had to work with?

Find the problem and fix it so it right first, then if you wish to install a stabilizer go for it but don't rely on one to correct for a bad condition.

33ies really ain't big enough tires to require one but hey if its something you want, you like the idea of having one on there? not a thing wrong with putting one on no but fix it so it runs down the road right without one first.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM
oilersfan_39
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply I agree
That the problem should be corrected, I was wondering of maybe not having the stabilizer was the problem.
I do not have new radius arms the kit includes two front Pro-Ride Coil Springs, then adds a new pitman arm for steering correction, heavy duty radius arm drop brackets, and axle pivot relocation brackets.
The kit number is:
Base Kit Id 501H
But I added full leaf packs insted of blocks. I could also add anti-sway bar drop bracket to the kit would this help? Or do you think I should return the truck to the shop thr installed it and tell them something is wrong
Thanks for all the advice

Old 08-04-2012, 08:51 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oilersfan_39
Thanks for your reply I agree
That the problem should be corrected, I was wondering of maybe not having the stabilizer was the problem.
I do not have new radius arms the kit includes two front Pro-Ride Coil Springs, then adds a new pitman arm for steering correction, heavy duty radius arm drop brackets, and axle pivot relocation brackets.
The kit number is:
Base Kit Id 501H
But I added full leaf packs insted of blocks. I could also add anti-sway bar drop bracket to the kit would this help? Or do you think I should return the truck to the shop thr installed it and tell them something is wrong
Thanks for all the advice
If you had the lift installed and the full kit then yes I would start there, they should make sure everything is right and tight. Explain the problem and that you had an alignment done, if they did it so much the better you won't/can't end up with the two places blaming the other for problems.

And don't let them try and tell you "it just needs a steering stabilizer now nature of the beast", that's total crap and just might be a sign they have no idea what they are doing.

And make sure you don't have a crack in the frame anywhere, especially up around where the steering box bolts on but not limited to just there. Broke missing rivets/bolts, cracked engine cross member etc etc.