Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation XLT

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:47 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good to hear was an ok fix. I agree that the 90s mustang with a 6 in it shouldn't be getting that bad of mpg, I also dislike most of that year. I am a foxbody man, I love the look and the ability to modify them easily, I don't like the later 90s that has the holes in the hood and the slotted tail lights. the newer SN95 bodies are nice though.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Alright it's been a long time since I posted on my thread but I was super busy this last year at school and had some unexpected turns happen with what I was doing...

I'm still on track for my degree though and it's not too far away!

Anyways, I've had more time to start working on my truck since it's summer break now. I've been working a lot more at my job, but I still have more time to throw in to work on things in my truck. I'll probably post pictures tomorrow of the work I did.

I recently got a kit on ebay for a bronco overhead console kit, dual power visors, and an auto dimming rear view mirror! Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the install or before pictures, but I'll post up what it looks like now. Even though the Bronco overhead consoles aren't much different from the explorer ones (the one I previously installed), I like having the bronco one so much better. Plus that auto dimming rear view mirror is fantastic to have! It's amazing how much of a difference that mirror makes when driving at night when people behind you have their brights on!

A few other things I've done were reupholster the front headliner so my entire ceiling is now reupholstered and looking snazzy. Some of you may have seen that thread I had about my clutch bushings too... well I did that and after driving the Bronco for 7 years.. the clutch has never felt better! I didn't think one small nylon bushing could make such a huge difference.

This thread is getting ready to be called operation Eddie Bauer because some of the work I have planned this week and the work I have just done is surpassing the XLT options! I never thought this day would come! Anyways, it's 11:36 here and I worked all day so I'm probably should get some sleep because I work tomorrow afternoon too..

Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Good work! One question though, did you put in the mexi dingle ***** when you did your headliner??

Old 06-29-2013, 07:41 AM
bigzirb
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got done reading through your entire thread. You have done some really great work. Looking forward to the updates on what else you did and where you are going from here.
It will be a while until I get to interior work on my Bronco as I want to get it driving first. After reading that the headliner in the top cut the noise level so much I may have to start looking for one to modify for my 78. Keep up the great work.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Wow thanks for reading bigzirb! Yeah I was surprised that the rear headliner would cut down so much noise. It took me a while to get to doing interior work, but my truck hasn't really had many issues running so I got a head start there!

Haha and no Dylan, I forgot to put those dingle ***** in! Maybe next time I do another headliner I won't forget!

Well here is the "new" bronco console in with dual visors and auto dimming rear view mirror!

Here's another shot

Both visors have these fancy mirrors and the dual visor part is nice!

Here is the rear view mirror! Like I said, that dimming feature is super awesome. It works way better than I thought it would.

Here's a comparison for what it used to look like. It's the picture I had at the beggining of the thread.. not a very good picture but you get the idea!

The headliner had a bit of scratches and some small holes. Also I had to use some weatherstripping on the side of that explorer console to get rid of some gaps.

I had to reuse the computer in the explorer console though because the temperature was about 40 degrees off with the bronco computer so I did a little rewiring, but it looks a lot better I think.

You can see some spots in my new headliner where I should have probably sprayed a little more adhesive, but its not too bad. I would spray a little bit at a time then press it on, but there are some small gaps where I missed because I didn't fold the headliner back enough when spraying. I'm getting a better hang at it though!

I just got my "new"er door panels in today so I need to clean those up and put them in! I think I'll wait to install them though until I get replacement door locks. I want to redo all the locks because when I bought my truck, the previous owners lost the original set of keys and only had spares.. the spares are starting to get a little annoying to open the door locks and also start the ignition, so I want to replace everything and get keys with the Ford stamp on them! Does anyone know where I can get a set of the door and ignition locks together? I assume a Ford Deal would probably have a set for that... I just hope it's not too expensive!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:48 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
that looks really good! Pretty professional, well done.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:15 AM
Andrew James
Senior User
Nice thread, like the effort you are putting out. A thirdgen Firebird or Camaro is fun. I love my 90 model Bird. Make sure you get a V8 car, and a five speed. A 305 tune port five speed is a fast fun ride. Mine has 3:42 gears and posi rear, had a tune port 305 but I swapped it out for a Vortec block 350 and swapped the tune port over. All you gotta change is fuel injectors, knock sensor and have a prom burned.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:33 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks Dylan and Andrew! Yeah I'm still wanting a 3rd gen camaro, but unfortunately it's probably going to have to wait until I'm done with my degree. I've kinda been looking at them but it wouldn't be the best financial decision to get one until I'm done with college. I think the one I get will be in pretty rough shape too because I kinda want it as a project so I can make it 100% mine. I do want a 5 speed v8 one though when I do get it.

I don't think any Ford dealers parts places are open tomorrow so I may have to wait on getting those lock sets unless O'reillys carries them! I will have more work tomorrow on my Bronco though! This may be a little... extreme.. but I am thinking of painting back the arrows on my window switches and the "L"s back on the door lock switches. Yeah I don't know if it will hold up but I'm going to test it out. All the little details start to add up quick and I think having new looking switches would be nice. I don't really want to spend 20$ or more per switch either if I don't have to.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:12 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Thanks Dylan and Andrew! Yeah I'm still wanting a 3rd gen camaro, but unfortunately it's probably going to have to wait until I'm done with my degree. I've kinda been looking at them but it wouldn't be the best financial decision to get one until I'm done with college. I think the one I get will be in pretty rough shape too because I kinda want it as a project so I can make it 100% mine. I do want a 5 speed v8 one though when I do get it.

I don't think any Ford dealers parts places are open tomorrow so I may have to wait on getting those lock sets unless O'reillys carries them! I will have more work tomorrow on my Bronco though! This may be a little... extreme.. but I am thinking of painting back the arrows on my window switches and the "L"s back on the door lock switches. Yeah I don't know if it will hold up but I'm going to test it out. All the little details start to add up quick and I think having new looking switches would be nice. I don't really want to spend 20$ or more per switch either if I don't have to.
A coat of clear over the painted arrows should help them hold up better than without. If you are able to get clear on it.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Yeah I bought some satin clear coat that I will spray over it. It's all spray paint I'm using, but I've had good luck with it so far on interior stuff.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:47 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Ah that's good. I tried using a clear coat once, I don't think that it was made what I used it for though, it was a clear glaze so i don't think it was ment for intakes and Trac bars.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Hmm well I may not try to paint the switches.. the tape I'm trying to use does not leave a clear line for the arrows.. it looks kinda blurry and well.. I think it's a little too much work for it to not look perfect.

I may just buy replacement switches at O'Reillys. I think they are like $10. That's cheaper than I thought.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:20 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts
Cool Bronco! I like what you've been doing to it.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Bubba Jones
Fleet Mechanic
Thank you!

I just recently bought a Bulldog Security keyless entry system. I was going to install it yesterday but then got the idea to use the "trunk" button to roll down my rear window! I like to think I cam up with that idea.. but I did see some other videos of people having that option after I looked it up to see if others did it.

I really wanted the OEM style remote for the door locks, but trying to get that to work seems highly improbable with the cost and availability.. so I went with an aftermarket one.. I think I'm going to try and take apart a stock Ford remote and use the housing for the bulldog remote though. If I can get that to work, I'll be happy. I don't think wiring this up will be too difficult either. I'm sure I've done worse.

Anyways, I bought new door locks and an ignition lock on eBay. It turned out there was a set that would work for my 96. Once I get those in and installed, I'm going to put in my new door panels! However, I need to find the Eddie Bauer wood grain door panel trim... I've had a difficult time locating it! I already have the dash trim waiting to be put in, but it would look weird mixed with the XLT trim.

So much to do and I'm always working! Why can't people just pay me to work on my truck?!!?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:08 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones
Thank you!

I just recently bought a Bulldog Security keyless entry system. I was going to install it yesterday but then got the idea to use the "trunk" button to roll down my rear window! I like to think I cam up with that idea.. but I did see some other videos of people having that option after I looked it up to see if others did it.

I really wanted the OEM style remote for the door locks, but trying to get that to work seems highly improbable with the cost and availability.. so I went with an aftermarket one.. I think I'm going to try and take apart a stock Ford remote and use the housing for the bulldog remote though. If I can get that to work, I'll be happy. I don't think wiring this up will be too difficult either. I'm sure I've done worse.

Anyways, I bought new door locks and an ignition lock on eBay. It turned out there was a set that would work for my 96. Once I get those in and installed, I'm going to put in my new door panels! However, I need to find the Eddie Bauer wood grain door panel trim... I've had a difficult time locating it! I already have the dash trim waiting to be put in, but it would look weird mixed with the XLT trim.

So much to do and I'm always working! Why can't people just pay me to work on my truck?!!?
If people paid me to work on my vehicles I'd be rich by now...

Quick Reply: Operation XLT