1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow/Haul when not towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tow/Haul when not towing?

Does anyone else use the Tow/Haul mode in town and stop & go traffic even though your not towing? Could it hurt anything other than mileage? It saves a lot of braking in heavy traffic and is much more positive shifting with lower speeds and stop lights.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyday I go down the mountain I use it in place of riding my brakes. Saves a lot of rotor warping and hot brakes.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:41 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree we have some massive hills and I'd hate to ruin my new brakes so I use it on the big hills to slow down

Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM
JKBrad
Received 801 Likes on 586 Posts
I use it everyday in traffic and in the hills. I prefer tow/haul mode to the default mode.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Baja Daze
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use it regularly. Mostly in traffic and anytime I'm not on the highway. As mentioned above, it saves a lot on braking, and acceleration is much more enjoyable since it holds gears longer (where it should be, in my opinion.) I can't stand how the new tranny programming upshifts so early. I mean 6th gear at 40 mph?????....that's way too early.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
V10ZILLA
Senior User
I believe that there was a post on here about this same issue. I am unable to find it. There is a gentleman on here whos name is mark. In his discriptures it states that he was/is a certified ford transmission mechanic for 20 years or so.

If I remember correctly (I am getting older so things are fuzzy now and then), He said to leave it on dont mess with it, that is what its designed for.

I would prefer to have a warped brake rotor than to have a warped trans for playing with it all the time. Just my opinion.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:53 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 983 Posts
That Mark KNOWS what he is talking about!!! He helped Ford design these tranny's for a long time!! I too run tow/Haul most of the time I am running in town.... esp on downshifts. If traffic is slow I run it too. Keeps my diesel happier!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I leave mine in M in traffic. It allows me to start/stop in second and I don't have switch gears.

I drop it in T/H on the hills, let the trans/engine slow the truck down...

Old 08-03-2012, 03:03 PM
KES08
Senior User
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Mark said in a post just recently that you can go in and out of tow/haul as often as you want. It is just like a tune for the shifting pattern of the truck, it does not hurt the tranny to go in and out of it frequently.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
Would this be like driving with OD off in town and OD on for hwy??

Old 08-03-2012, 06:47 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
Not really - the TorqShift transmission is totally different than the 4r100 in older trucks, much more advanced than just turning OD on and off. It's talks a lot w/ the PCM and activating the tow/haul feature changes the shift points as well as activating engine braking.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Originally Posted by V10ZILLA
I believe that there was a post on here about this same issue. I am unable to find it. There is a gentleman on here whos name is mark. In his discriptures it states that he was/is a certified ford transmission mechanic for 20 years or so.
I was never a mechanic at all, except on my own vehicles. I was a Ford automatic transmission engineer for 19 years.

Originally Posted by V10ZILLA
If I remember correctly (I am getting older so things are fuzzy now and then), He said to leave it on dont mess with it, that is what its designed for.

I would prefer to have a warped brake rotor than to have a warped trans for playing with it all the time. Just my opinion.
I said to use or not use tow/haul as you prefer. That is for towing or not towing, you won't hurt anything either way.

Originally Posted by KES08
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Mark said in a post just recently that you can go in and out of tow/haul as often as you want. It is just like a tune for the shifting pattern of the truck, it does not hurt the tranny to go in and out of it frequently.
Yes, you are correct.

Originally Posted by VONxRUBENxLA
No, it's totally different. OD OFF prevents the trans from shifting to overdrive gear. Tow/haul does not prevent overdrive. It changes the shift pattern to make all the upshifts at a higher speed and also provides automatic downshifts with engine braking. OD OFF doesn't do that.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever it does - it is a GREAT tranny that i personally LOVE that it gets into taller gears quickly when possible...
and can use tow haul just for slowing down rather than wearing out my non warranted brakes faster - the 5er does that enough already !!!

all three of my Ex's would be in lower gears at high rpms while on this long 30 and 40 mph 2 lane to the highway from the house.. In the early mornings I wanted quiet on the ride into work - not high rpms and straining engine

So I used to speed up to 42 mph and let off so it WOULD upshift and be quiet for a while until the next rise

the new tranny is the best so far... let's me do what I want to do WHEN I want to do it!
(at least to a point of not lugging or over reving !)

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 AM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User
I'm running an 08 f-550 service truck and I'm wondering if there is a way to always have tow/haul on by default instead of having it turn off every time I shut the truck off.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM
maverick22
Elder User
Originally Posted by fordmudrunner2020
I'm running an 08 f-550 service truck and I'm wondering if there is a way to always have tow/haul on by default instead of having it turn off every time I shut the truck off.
You can, but it takes some work... https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ml#post2210897

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul when not towing?