1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

For you Illinois guys, travel advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
For you Illinois guys, travel advise

I'll be heading to KY in mid September in the F-2. I'll be leaving from just north of Milwaukee and want to know the best route around Chicago. Normally if I was traveling in my daily driver it wouldn't be a problem, I'd just take the interstates but the F-2's stock drive train doesn't lend itself to interstate freeway driving and I know I'd be eaten alive in Chicago traffic. I need a route that would be friendly to the F-2's maximum speed of 45-50 mph speed.

Also, to be honest, I need a route that takes me through areas that are safe enough so if I suffer problems I don't have to worry about the neighborhood. I will traveling with my wife so her safety is of the utmost importance to me. I was thinking a route west of I-294.

That's for any suggestions.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Maybe you need to think about installing a gun rack in the back window and a 45 under the seat! Beside's you never know You may need a rifle if you spot any wild Boars in the Wilds of Kentucky.. You could throw it on the spit for one of the dinners?
With the Gun rack in the back window your truck should fit right in down there.

Sorry, just being a Smart ___ since I can't offer any real advise on your question, but it is a very valid concern about the route and routes neighborhoods? Driving through the wrong neighborhood in any vehicle can be a scary thing, but like you said at 50 mph tops your not going to evade anyone.
I would personally be more worried about getting run over being on the wrong highway going "too Slow" People are A Holes on the road most of the time.
I wish everyone driving there trucks to truckstock a safe and enjoyable trip, although I'm sure we will all be hearing of the adventures.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadsen
Maybe you need to think about installing a gun rack in the back window and a 45 under the seat!
No, No, No guns in Chicago. Those people have crazy gun restrictions. That is why the city is so safe.

Yeah, I realize you made the statement in jest.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:03 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
[QUOTE=raytasch;12126076]No, No, No guns in Chicago. Those people have crazy gun restrictions. That is why the city is so safe.

Double post .. sorry

Old 08-02-2012, 10:05 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by raytasch
No, No, No guns in Chicago. Those people have crazy gun restrictions. That is why the city is so safe.

Yeah, I realize you made the statement in jest.
oh, I should have known. just another ignorant redneck hahaha.
hey isnt Obama from Chicago, oh boy.... going to crawl back in that hole i just dug.... at least I have a weapons stash in that hole.. lol

Sorry Bob, go ahead and install that gun rack ( leave the guns at home) and instead rip that pitch fork out of your inlaws hands and throw that on the rack

Edit: oops sorry about the double post, hard to type all this on a dumbphone!

Last edited by jmadsen; 08-02-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: oops
Old 08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Bob, I'd suggest IL 53. Not too far west but it is multi-lane much of the way. For part of the way they call I-290 as both interstate and IL-53, but it's up north where traffic isn't so bad. As usual, there are multiple "IL 53" paths, the one up north is referred to as Rohlwing Road. If you can do 50, I think you'll be fine on that ~10 mile section of I-290. Most of 53 is 35 - 40 mph speed limit, and it's as close to a arterial as it gets around there. But there are plenty of stoplights (also lots of gas stations, food stops, stores, etc.).

Last year I tried to swing around further to the west and what I found was there was just as many cars, but the roads weren't enough to handle it, so it was actually worse. You'd have to go to Iowa to really get around!

It runs more or less straight south thru the whitebread suburbs, no issues with safety. It will not be fast, but I'm assuming you want to avoid the 8-lane interstates and toll roads? I'd be real tempted to recommend late-night or real early morning thru this area, but I think visibility is more important. Rush hour is 6am to 9am, you won't need to worry about speed those times.

I'd take it all the way south to near where it hits I-55, then head east and drive thru the forest preserves -- check the maps, you'll see what I mean.

My family lives at 53 and IL 56, Butterfield Road, also some at IL 64 and 53, so if you get in a jam or get lost, they can help (a little -- all women).

Old 08-02-2012, 10:48 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Thanks Ross. I would like to leave like 3-4 in the morning but I doubt I can get my wife moving that early. She does get up every morning, around 4:30-5:00 for her school bus route, but when she doesn't have to get up early it's hard to get her moving. She really values sleep.

I want to make this a somewhat easy pace trip, enjoying sites as we go along, stopping at interesting places along the way but I also have to try to keep going so I can make it down there hopefully by early Friday afternoon, or earlier if possible.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jmadsen
oh, I should have known. just another ignorant redneck hahaha.
hey isnt Obama from Chicago, oh boy.... going to crawl back in that hole i just dug.... at least I have a weapons stash in that hole.. lol

Sorry Bob, go ahead and install that gun rack ( leave the guns at home) and instead rip that pitch fork out of your inlaws hands and throw that on the rack

Edit: oops sorry about the double post, hard to type all this on a dumbphone!
NOTE to myself: Remove politcal bumper stickers from back bumper

Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 465 Likes on 301 Posts
You may want to get rid of the Chick-Fil-A wrappers behind the seat as well. Chicago don't want those types in their city.

Have fun on your trip, we just got back from a trip to Nashville and Cincinnati. I always like the drive through KY, kinda miss the open farmland and trees.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
You may want to get rid of the Chick-Fil-A wrappers behind the seat as well. Chicago don't want those types in their city.
LOL Charlie... that is funny stuff!

Old 08-02-2012, 08:38 PM
CHUCK48-50
Tuned
Received 74 Likes on 27 Posts
Hey Bob,
My travel advise is to change out that ring & pinion for one of my 4.11 set ups! With the 4.86 rear in it, you are going to make a really long trip even longer, and your wife will never want to ride in that truck again!
Chuck

Old 08-02-2012, 09:46 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Bob,
I second the IL-53 suggestion. Also, I would HIGHLY recommend staying off I-65 in Indiana (if you are heading that way). Those interstate drivers on 65 push 80 mph too much. Also the road is garbage and traffic/construction in Louisville sticks. Just a suggestion. I personally will be going the backway (US31) to Indy and cutting over towards Cincy on slower roads. My 54 has a 223 with 3.92 which in a pinch can push 78 but I hate to torture the old gal too much.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It would be cool if you can find a period correct camper shell to put on the back. That way you and wife can snuggle up on the side of the road instead of paying for hotel room. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:14 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bob, have you given any thought to taking the Lake Express ferry to Muskegon, MI or the SS Badger Ludington, MI?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Bob, have you given any thought to taking the Lake Express ferry to Muskegon, MI or the SS Badger Ludington, MI?
Yes, we did but cost was nuts and didn't
save much time, in fact when figuring in loading & unloading it took more time.

Quick Reply: For you Illinois guys, travel advise