1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

For you Illinois guys, travel advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
I-355 is a very nice toll road. Very light traffic and would work well for a stock truck.

I live in Charleston which is about an hour south of Champaign. I have not been on a brick road here in central Illinois, but I have only lived here for the past 7 years.
I-355 from I-88 (East-West Tollroad) to Schaumburg is absolutely a nightmare anywhere around rush hours and at noon, lots of commuters. North and south of those limits it is lighter, especially to the south.

What I don't get about Illinois interstates is that they all have speed limits 10 mph lower than I'd expect, and everyone goes 10 mph faster anyway. But there are more troopers handing out tickets than anywhere I've seen.

It's worth mentioning to check the IL Dept Of Tranportation websites for construction projects; there is currently one on IL-53 near Glen Ellyn that really jams things up. There are lots of alternatives if you plan them in advance.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:02 PM
LMS Residential
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As if you need another suggestion (further west but hardly any traffic at all). If you can get to WI-120S (closer to Lake Geneva iirc) it will become IL-47S as you cross over into IL. Once on 47 you have a good 150 or so miles of 45 -55 mph country road with more than a few quaint small towns along the way. I have no idea where youre going to in KY but you could pick up 74E off 47 but thats a lot of interstate, just suggesting the 47S portion based on your desire for scenery, safety and absolutely no traffic jams.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Man, you guys were really typing away tonight. I really do appreciate all the suggestions and I'm taking notes and looking at Google maps. I'm also trying to find a few interesting places to stop on the way. We have never done anything like this before so I will try to make it interesting. I am on a bit of a time restraint. My wife wants to drive bus Monday and Tuesday of that week. She even wanted to drive her morning routes on Wednesday but wouldn't get home before 9 am. I told her we're leaving no later than 7 am Wednesday but now after reading the posts here I'm thinking maybe 5 or 6, at the latest.

On the way back I'm not going to worry too much about time but she's planning to be back for Thursday routes. I told her we might not be back until that weekend, she didn't seem to happy.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
My wife just informed me she is only planning to take a total of 5 days off so it doesn't affect her attendence raise next year. If she takes more than 5 days of prearranged vacation she won't her 9¢/hr raise. We might just go broke is she doesn't make an extra $97.20 next year.

All I know is I plan to leave home Wednesday morning, drive for 2 1/2 days then leave Monday morning and drive for about 3+ days. I guess I'll have a poor pissed off wife when we get home

Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
We could take up a collection, Bob?

There are some nice places all around Chicago, but they'll slow you down substantially, and you'd want your stuff in the bed secured. I'm not talking about downtown Chicago, I'm sure you know what's down there. I'd stop for lunch or a mid-morning break in one of the forest preserves in the western/southern suburbs. Not sure what kind of attractions you'd be interested in?

Old 08-04-2012, 12:32 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I don't want to go too far off my route to see things, especially on the way down. If something just happens to be nearby by I'd like to stop.

I've been checking on the Food Network's Diner, Drive-ins and Dives trying to figure out if one of the places they visited is on my way. I like eating at places other than MacDonalds and any other chain joint I have at home.

I think once we get down to the southern parts of the drive the natural scenery will fill must of the bill very nicely. I've been in TN and KY a couple of times but it's been ages, about 30 years ago and only in small parts in NW KY. My wife had never been anywhere other than Pawpaw, IL in her life until we got married. We've been out west to CA, MT,NE, ND,SD, MT, WY and to the east to IN, OH,PA. Neither of us have ever been to the SE although I was in NC a couple of years ago for work but the inside of plant and a hotel room in NC looks the same as a plant and hotel room in WI. When I travel for work, which is seldom thank God, I work 10+ hour days and don't get a chance to explore, just work eat and sleep.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by homade
Yea Doc, I know but the most direct route with the least interstate would be to leave early and take I94 south to Ill. then 41 south to the Skyway to Gary, In. and jump on 41 again to 52 to I65 south to I465 around Indy to 31 south to 7 south at Columbus, In. to Madison,In. take 421 to Frankfort,Ky pick up 127 south to Danville, Ky. take 150 to Mt. Vernon,take 25 south to London Ky. then 80 east to Hazard Ky. area. I know from the Ill. state line to Gary In. would be ok if it's before the rush hour and around Indy wouldn't be that bad around to 31 south, the rest would be all country road driving, just my 2 cents worth, Garry
That would work. Not a bad route at all. The Hal Rogers Parkway (highway 80) between London and Hazard is pretty wide open with big long up and down grades as you cross over the hills. Bob, you need to look at this route. It's definitely a possibility. It would keep you out of the traffic around Lexington.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Bob, I am going to throw this out FWIW. The wife and I have traveled backroads (shunpiking) quite a bit since retirement. In fact we did it while we were still both working. We like to roll along and stop whenever we want, look at what we want, search out interesting places to eat, talk with interesting people, etc. What ever time you plan for travel, considering increasing that time by about 50%. It just works out that way. We could just never make time on back roads.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:42 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the input. I'm going to have to print out all this information and sit down and try to map it all out.

I've always told people that traveling is cheap, money wise. You can go cross country for a few bucks by eating hot dogs and staying in state parks. What isn't cheap is time. If you're really frugal you probably can go from one side of the country to the other for less than $1000 but it's the time you don't usually have to spend. I am self employed and it seems like if I have the time I don't have the money and even when I don't have the time I don't have the money. With work and family obligations there never seems to be enough time. I told my wife the one benefit of being self employed is being able to take more than a week to do something but that can't always be worked out either.

With this trip she wants to minimize the amount of time she is away from work. Come on, she's a school bus driver, not a brain surgeon. If she doesn't show up for work for a week or so no one is going to die. She comes from a farm family, never did anything but work. I suppose I have a dream wife, she likes to work until she's ready to fall down and doesn't like to spend a penny. It's really kind of boring though.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 AM
james rich
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hi bob like i said be for no easy way to do it. just stay on 294 take it easy you have oasis to stop (restroom or brake down) plus a wide shoulder to stop.around o-hare will have a friend on stand by to help you the farther south you go i will come and get you. don't stop at the toll booths pay on line later.294 to Cicero ave (RT50) south your back on 35-40 mph streets till out of town.plenty of places to stop eat but no famous TV places no attractions to stop at.plus your truck will look good our driveway. Jim