Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Senior User

djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.
Drive My Car

Just bought a 2001 F-350 7.3 4WD DRW and have spent a fair amount of money to make it driveable (replaced the fuel tank, sender, fuel pump, cleaned the fuel lines, cleaned the fuel bowl, and installed the hutch mod to hopefully make sure the fuel contamInation problem never gets to and past the fuel pump).

I have also changed much of the fluids on the truck.

Before i spend more money on this truck, I'd appreciate the feedback of an experienced local 7.3 owner on whether this truck has power typical of these trucks.

Although I have little-no experience with diesel trucks like the one I now own, the truck seems to lack power. The mechanic I took the truck to says the truck is fine.

Anyone in the San Fernando Valley area willing to go on a 2 - 5 minute test drive?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:26 AM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Well, your location says "/Ventura, CA"

I live in Ventura. If you cant get here I can meet you where ever you are. I'm off tomorrow.
- Trey PAA Member #110
2002 F250 XLT CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 7.3L
My How-To Video Library
SoCal Chapter Member (Join us HERE)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior User

djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.djed has a very good reputation on FTE.
Trey,

I may have to run to San Diego tomorrow. I'll know this afternoon and will let you know. Thank you.

We split time between Ventura and Studio City, but are mostly in Studio City, where we are now.

I'll take you up on your offer the next time I drive up (if you are available).

David
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM
9 ECHO 1

A/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputationA/Ox4 has a superb reputation
Hope to see you tomorrow. I'll let you putt around in my truck too so you can feel what its like. If I like you I might even take it out of the valet 15mph tune
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
I'm in Reseda.

As far as experience, I've been using my 2000 (see my sig file) as my daily driver since mid-2004.

I have some open time tomorrow if you're in the area.

Also, you can take mine for a spin as a comparison. It's bone stock, power-wise.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Senior User

On my way to Ventura now.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
9 ECHO 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by djed View Post
On my way to Ventura now.
I've give you a ring.
- Trey PAA Member #110
My How-To Video Library
Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 PM
9 ECHO 1

Hope I was able to help you out. Glad to have Pops input too. We took the same symptoms and went the opposite directions. I liked hearing other ideas.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
And.......

What came of David's problem?

What did you conclude?

Definitely down in power?

Pop
Old 08-03-2012, 06:17 PM
9 ECHO 1

Seems right on with normal pedal but on grades and WOT the truck will down shift but no power gain.

Based on everything I saw I think injector prongs are leaking into the combustion chamber, causing The white smoke symptom and the injectors to only partially fire causeing the low power on power symptom.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Senior User

Trey/Pops,

Thank you both very much for the feedback and guidance.

Seems like my next step is to find someone that has an AE scanner to test compression and then possibly run a compression test.

David
Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Too old to be too smart

Hmmmm.... I wonder if HPOP pressure is down.

Pop
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Senior User

Please translate "WOT".
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Too old to be too smart

Wide Open Throttle

Pop
Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 AM
9 ECHO 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/Ox4 View Post
Seems right on with normal pedal but on grades and WOT the truck will down shift but no power gain.

Based on everything I saw I think injector prongs are leaking into the combustion chamber, causing The white smoke symptom and the injectors to only partially fire causeing the low power on power symptom.
Prongs should say orings
Old 08-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter