Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

August Chat/All Topic Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 01:18 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
August Chat/All Topic Thread

Guess since I'm here and no one else has done it yet....

It's August boys & squirrels, if you didn't need a reminding. Only supposed to get up to 108F at the fort today. Working nights this week is a blessing in it's self. I was going to spend some time this week figure out why I keep blowing a 10amp fuse that powers the gauge cluster (has something to do with the steering column). It only pops every so often when shifting into/out of drive; so I'm thinking a wire is contacting something near the ignition switch/column shifter. But as hot as it is out there, I don't want to be out there until I have to be.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll be on mid shift for August as well. About bloody time.

The main harness in the steering column is a bear to check. It's thick, inflexible and has about a gazillion wires in it. I believe I'd start that search in the vicinity of where the tilt mechanism is for the column. It's the most opportune place for a "pinch" to happen.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:03 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Really, a Bronco's fan? Didn't see that one coming.
Originally Posted by cookie88
The main harness in the steering column is a bear to check. It's thick, inflexible and has about a gazillion wires in it. I believe I'd start that search in the vicinity of where the tilt mechanism is for the column. It's the most opportune place for a "pinch" to happen.
This didn't happen until after someone took a screwdriver to my ignition switch last year. Hopefully it will be obvious when we open the column...but most of my projects never go that well.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Lived in Denver from 77-85. Learned football watching the broncos. My other favorite teams are whoever beats the steelers, cowboys and patriots.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:10 PM
jgoodman6891
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That comment about chevy & dodge diesels running stacks.... after it was said I got to noticing that they were the only ones around here like that. The ones running down I40 with stacks were dodges.

Just got back in from tarping a chicken coop.... ya its going to be hot & muggy today since we got a small sprinkle a little while ago.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:35 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
To our friends in the greater LR area& north central Arkansas, I seen on the radar this morning (0500 CST) that y'all were getting some decent rain. Good Job! Now share with the rest of us.
Originally Posted by cookie88
My other favorite teams are whoever beats the steelers, cowboys and patriots.
Something else we can agree on...though I have no ill will toward the Steelers. The "dislike" for the Cowboys goes back to the Aikman days, I'm convinced most of the cheer-leading squad had more brains than him. Add that's before the concussions. The Pats, well when I was working in Missouri my boss and a couple of our dispatchers/crew callers were Pats fans...that's all I ever heard was "how great the Pats are". My dis-like of the Pats has been compounded because my sister and her husband have converted my son to a Pats fan...not cool.
Originally Posted by jgoodman6891
That comment about chevy & dodge diesels running stacks.... after it was said I got to noticing that they were the only ones around here like that. The ones running down I40 with stacks were dodges.
Oh I know of a Ford SuperDuty or two with stacks So I can't pass judgement that is only a "Dodge thing". But I have no use for them, the plastic/fiberglass front shell of the 5th wheel wouldn't like that much heat getting dumped on it when pulling Frog Bayou hill on I540 headed north. And that's when the Pavement Princess earns her keep....pulling the camper at highway speeds.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
It rained hard for a few minutes, but did stay overcast with sprinkles until around noon. A little less than half an inch total. It did bring the humidity back to the normally oppressive state.

I might have started a trend down this way. Since I've put my stacks on I've found 3 other Fords and 3 Dodges sporting them in the local area. I've yet to see a dmax stacked.... at least in person.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:02 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
That's because D-max owners are sensible, mature people who would never bend noise and emissions laws with something like stacks.
Heck, I bet they even run mufflers on their Harley's.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM
tojoski
Posting Guru
It's raining now because I shelled out $200 for a gas water pump to wet down my dirt pad where the shops gonna go.. I put several thousand gallons on it and 2 days later we get a good rain... so you're welcome.

Originally Posted by Old_Crow
That's because D-max owners are sensible, mature people who would never bend noise and emissions laws with something like stacks.
Sensible, mature... hmm... not what I'd say...

Lets just say there's probably a few D-max's at Chik-fil-A today.. just sayin

Old 08-03-2012, 04:11 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Now that's some funny stuff right there boys & squirrels!
Originally Posted by tojoski
It's raining now because I shelled out $200 for a gas water pump to wet down my dirt pad where the shops gonna go.. I put several thousand gallons on it and 2 days later we get a good rain... so you're welcome.
And most of central Arkansas thanks you. Now ship that bad boy up here. Last night, sitting on the Ark River bridge...enjoying the breeze while waiting for the span to "time out" and lower; watched quite a light show in Oklahoma from a Thunderstorm. Did it rain here? Nope

Among the little projects the boy and I have been working this week, we think we've figured out what's causing the fuse for the gauge cluster to pop. Now we're just trying to figure out how to get the upper cover of the steering column off...

Old 08-04-2012, 04:46 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by tojoski

Lets just say there's probably a few D-max's at Chik-fil-A today.. just sayin
My great-grandfathers(one of whom died at Andersonville), my grandfather, my father, myself and 2 of my sons served our country in time of war to defend the right of that idiot to shoot himself in the foot.

In addition, I was defending my family's right to never eat there again.

Who the heck ever thought that a piece of chicken with a pickle slice and no condiments on a biscuit was proper breakfast fare? Gimme a big ol' omelet with grits, hash browns and a side of biscuits and gravy. That's the way a biscuit was meant to be eaten.

Duramax's, PowerStrokes, Cummins...they're all noisy and they all stink.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:08 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Who the heck ever thought that a piece of chicken with a pickle slice and no condiments on a biscuit was proper breakfast fare? Gimme a big ol' omelet with grits, hash browns and a side of biscuits and gravy. That's the way a biscuit was meant to be eaten.
Yeah, I never could understand what McD was thinking a couple of years ago when they started offering a chicken biscuit for breakfast. I used to eat a big ole plate of food like that...then my growth stopped the upward movement and started going horizontal.
Duramax's, PowerStrokes, Cummins...they're all noisy and they all stink.
My truck doesn't stink, especially when it's burning B20. I can't help the noise part...it's a trade off for all the power.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 AM
gatormccluskey
Posting Guru
Good Sunday morning from Mississippi. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I am looking for a F-650

Old 08-05-2012, 09:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Originally Posted by gatormccluskey
I am looking for a F-650
Aren't we all? I'll take one of those 6 door supercrewzers while you're at it.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Buddy of mine just bought a '51 cab over. He's going to put the body on a 70's Dodge duelly chassis he has and we get to do the body and paint on it. Ought to be an interesting project.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 08-06-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added pic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: August Chat/All Topic Thread