Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
New User

NWWADD is starting off with a positive reputation.
TRANS TEMP.....

When I pull the temp at times gets as high as 220. I do have a $5000.00 Trans. I do not allow the temp to get any higher (Royal Purple Trans Fluid).

I have 2 additional trans B&M coolers and the temp just goes up and up.

Any ideas on what I can do to get the temp down? I also have a ex large tran pan.

side note: I have the BANKS 6gun kit installed with 4" exhaust. I normally have the 6Gun set at 3 or 4 while pulling.

If someone with help is willing to talk I would like to talk. Typing sucks on my phone lol. My # is 360- Nine nine one-35 eight eight.

Thank you, Dan. Again thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
How many coolers do you have all together? And what year is your Excursion?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-31-2012, 09:36 PM
New User

NWWADD is starting off with a positive reputation.
2001 7.3. 2 B&M coolers in-line with the Radiator cooler, I believe.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Senior User

mrad is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Dan ,
I recently installed a 26 row 6.0l cooler and replaced the by-pass tube at the same time time. My temps have dropped about 25-30 degreses on average pulling my 10,000 lb TT.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Senior User

TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.TXSailor has a good reputation on FTE.
I installed a 26 row 6.0 cooler on my 7.3 and don't see anywhere those temps when I tow my 8,000 AirStream in the Texas Heat. Typically , it might hit 205 on a really ot day and a steep climb but most of the time it's about 190.

I'd check the flow rate as you may have a partial blockage somewhere .....

D
Old 08-01-2012, 01:36 PM
Junior User

Swagtastic is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSailor View Post
I installed a 26 row 6.0 cooler on my 7.3 and don't see anywhere those temps when I tow my 8,000 AirStream in the Texas Heat. Typically , it might hit 205 on a really ot day and a steep climb but most of the time it's about 190.

I'd check the flow rate as you may have a partial blockage somewhere .....

D
My thoughts exactly
2000 Limited, 6.8L V10, 4X4. Pro Comp 22210 front leafsprings & Rancho 9000's, 4 inch tapered lift block, Monroe Reflex rear shocks, Mile Marker manual locking hubs, Roof Clearance lights, 55 watt driving lights (soon to be 100 watt) Helwig rear sway bar.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:36 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
My thought is that 3 coolers though excessive is making things harder than they need to be....

As myself and others have done, get a 26-row 6.0 transcooler, drop it in, mod the lines and be done.

My trans stays remarkably cool during the hottest of Texas summers and really keeps the trans cooler when I tow.

I also noticed that you have a Banks tuner, I would highly recommend not towing in the higher settings as it's a great way to burn up your motor and trans. I would also highly recommend another chip aside from banks.

There are better chips out there that do a better job of tuning the engine and trans....

Gearhead Automotive Performance

Chips - Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke

http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWWADD View Post
2001 7.3. 2 B&M coolers in-line with the Radiator cooler, I believe.
That might be too much restriction, which will cause the bypass to open. That will keep most of the fluid from going to the coolers.

You should run a flow test.

You need two containers, each about a gallon is fine.

Have a helper to start/stop the engine.

Remove the cooler line where it attaches to the rear of the transmission. Point the line into one of the containers. Have your helper start the engine. Once the flow is steady (just a few seconds) move the line to the second container for exactly 15 seconds then put the line back in the first container and shut the engine off.

If there is at least a quart in the second container it passes. If fluid comes spraying out of the transmission end it fails - the bypass is open. Now you would have to determine if it is a stuck bypass or a restricted cooler circuit. A little drip from the trans end is normal.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 PM