Indiana Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Indiana's August 2012 BS about all the flies, drought and heat...WAIT...can it get any HOTTER???????

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:03 AM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Morning Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well...just enjoying a cup of tea and getting stuff done before heading to the shop to drop off the Ex...this will be the first time in a LOOONG time that the Ex has had to go to the shop...hopefully he can find out what's up with the speedo...

Ben,
I'm on the fence between an Elantra and a Jeep Wrangler (I know they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT vehicles)...the Wrangler gives me 4x4 capability which we've always had at least one vehicle in our stable with 4wd for a LOOONG time...so that is a major plus in my eyes for deer hunting/snow/etc.

The Elantra...well that is a consideration because we don't need a really big vehicle since this will be my back and forth to work/airport car...but I still need something to haul deer home with...and the mini van we have has a 2" receiver on it that my hitch-haul fits into and I'd still use the hitch-haul on the Wrangler too...the Elantra has a lot of appeal for the much higher mpg's and it does have an incredibly large interior cabin for a small car for when we're on the road sightseeing...decisions...decisions...I'll have to check out insurance and tags on both of them and that may help sway me one way or another...oh...one thing I heard on the Wranglers is that the only A/C is up front...which with a 4 door cabin...may pose an issue...but hey almost all passenger vehicles only have A/C up front...so that isn't going to be a major deciding factor.

Have a great Monday and week everyone!

Joe.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 AM
KingBigJoe
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Man... that is a lot to ponder through. Personaly I'd go for the Jeep. But, at least I don't have that problem since I have two choices to choose from for winter driving .

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM
BIGKEN
Received 7,065 Likes on 4,165 Posts
Good morning Indiana...back to the grind!!!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,139 Likes on 1,684 Posts
Good Monday morning everyone, lets make the best of it.....

Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 221 Likes on 180 Posts
Good morning Indiana, hope the weekend went well!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 AM
cowboywanabe
Posting Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning Indiana! It's Monday, might as well make the best of it.

Originally Posted by nebo
Since this a Ford forum, maybe we should discuss that by pm though as to not clutter these pages with nonsense.

If it weren't for the nonsense, there wouldn't be anything on here.

I tried to talk the wife into a 4dr Wrangler last year. But she wanted something a little more luxury oriented. We had a 2000 Wrangler Sahara... that was a fun vehicle. It was a little cramped when both girls were in car seats. Didn't get great MPG's, I think around 20 tops on the highway.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,946 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by X_Hemi_Guy
Morning Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well...just enjoying a cup of tea and getting stuff done before heading to the shop to drop off the Ex...this will be the first time in a LOOONG time that the Ex has had to go to the shop...hopefully he can find out what's up with the speedo...

Ben,
I'm on the fence between an Elantra and a Jeep Wrangler (I know they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT vehicles)...the Wrangler gives me 4x4 capability which we've always had at least one vehicle in our stable with 4wd for a LOOONG time...so that is a major plus in my eyes for deer hunting/snow/etc.

The Elantra...well that is a consideration because we don't need a really big vehicle since this will be my back and forth to work/airport car...but I still need something to haul deer home with...and the mini van we have has a 2" receiver on it that my hitch-haul fits into and I'd still use the hitch-haul on the Wrangler too...the Elantra has a lot of appeal for the much higher mpg's and it does have an incredibly large interior cabin for a small car for when we're on the road sightseeing...decisions...decisions...I'll have to check out insurance and tags on both of them and that may help sway me one way or another...oh...one thing I heard on the Wranglers is that the only A/C is up front...which with a 4 door cabin...may pose an issue...but hey almost all passenger vehicles only have A/C up front...so that isn't going to be a major deciding factor.

Have a great Monday and week everyone!

Joe.
Howdy Joe...

This is Easy ..... Yea,,,sure is.....Buy Both

Old 08-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Good morning.......

Howdy to all Ye Fine Indiana Folks......

Have a Great Navy Day.

Tip for the Day:
ONLY Use distilled water for your battery!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:04 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
Afternoon Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well I drove the Ex over to the auto shop this morning...they were still on vacation...I must have mis-understood the owner...not surprising...LOL

So Tracey and I went up to see the coach again...got to un-set it up (i.e. pull in the slides, lift the levelers, etc)...got to fire up that 350Cat diesel...

Took it for a nice test drive...it drives very nice...a little bit touchy on the air brakes at first...but that was easily learned...

Turning wasn't too bad either for a 40' long 104" wide vehicle!...the part that is nice is that this chassis has a 60° cut on the front wheels...so turning isn't as bad as you would think...the trick is to actually get into the intersection and THEN start turning since the steer wheels are actually under or slightly behind where the driver is actually sitting versus on a typical car/truck/van where the steer wheels are actually in FRONT of the driver...it wasn't that bad at all...did some local road driving and then the interstate...pretty comfortable...and the acceleration is pretty good too for such a large and heavy vehicle...

The Allison 6sp trans does a wonderful job with gear management for engine braking so you really don't need to touch the brakes much at all...

We spent some time after the test drive going back through the coach and sat down with the owner and discussed pricing...I felt he had it listed at a pretty fair price but it was still higher than I had wanted to pay...so we talked price for a bit and in the end I came up about $8K over my bottom where I wanted to be (to just under my "top") and he came down $12K off of where he was listed...so I feel we both got a decent deal and both seemed to walk away happy...

What is really nice about this coach is that they have done a lot of the things I would have done anyway and now I don't have to pay to have them done!

He even through in the blue ox car hitch and brake buddy system...if I had to buy those new...I'd have to drop close to $5K on those combined...he had no use for them so he let them go with the coach...

So...now I just have work out the paperwork/contract and work out when to take ownership...he'll have to obtain the title from his bank and that may take a week or so...but we'll have the signed contract in the interim.

I'll have to call my insurance man to have it added to my policy as well as get ready to bend over to title it.

So...while I'm not "officially" a Class-A diesel pusher motor home owner...I think we're 99% of the way there...we'll finalize it here in a couple of hours.

Tracey and I hope to take a trip down to the Smokies in the fall...an adult get away...should be nice.

Have a great one!

Joe.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Afternoon Indiana and all of our IN friends!

Well I drove the Ex over to the auto shop this morning...they were still on vacation...I must have mis-understood the owner...not surprising...LOL

So Tracey and I went up to see the coach again...got to un-set it up (i.e. pull in the slides, lift the levelers, etc)...got to fire up that 350Cat diesel...

Took it for a nice test drive...it drives very nice...a little bit touchy on the air brakes at first...but that was easily learned...

Turning wasn't too bad either for a 40' long 104" wide vehicle!...the part that is nice is that this chassis has a 60° cut on the front wheels...so turning isn't as bad as you would think...the trick is to actually get into the intersection and THEN start turning since the steer wheels are actually under or slightly behind where the driver is actually sitting versus on a typical car/truck/van where the steer wheels are actually in FRONT of the driver...it wasn't that bad at all...did some local road driving and then the interstate...pretty comfortable...and the acceleration is pretty good too for such a large and heavy vehicle...

The Allison 6sp trans does a wonderful job with gear management for engine braking so you really don't need to touch the brakes much at all...

We spent some time after the test drive going back through the coach and sat down with the owner and discussed pricing...I felt he had it listed at a pretty fair price but it was still higher than I had wanted to pay...so we talked price for a bit and in the end I came up about $8K over my bottom where I wanted to be (to just under my "top") and he came down $12K off of where he was listed...so I feel we both got a decent deal and both seemed to walk away happy...

What is really nice about this coach is that they have done a lot of the things I would have done anyway and now I don't have to pay to have them done!

He even through in the blue ox car hitch and brake buddy system...if I had to buy those new...I'd have to drop close to $5K on those combined...he had no use for them so he let them go with the coach...

So...now I just have work out the paperwork/contract and work out when to take ownership...he'll have to obtain the title from his bank and that may take a week or so...but we'll have the signed contract in the interim.

I'll have to call my insurance man to have it added to my policy as well as get ready to bend over to title it.

So...while I'm not "officially" a Class-A diesel pusher motor home owner...I think we're 99% of the way there...we'll finalize it here in a couple of hours.

Tracey and I hope to take a trip down to the Smokies in the fall...an adult get away...should be nice.

Have a great one!

Joe.
Before you do the Title / DMV stuff.......Stop at the drug store........
Yep.....2 things.....
A) Vasoline
b) Valum

Old 08-13-2012, 05:23 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts

any bites on the Ex yet?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Joe.......
Steve wants to buy your Ex.....

Old 08-13-2012, 05:31 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Joe.......
Steve wants to buy your Ex.....
I wish, but my heart belongs to Blue!

Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by sddesigns
I wish, but my heart belongs to Blue!
Awwww......"My Truck Named Blue"

....Should be a song.......

Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 PM
X_Hemi_Guy
Hotshot
I've had 2 calls on the Ex...only talked to one of them and sent him some pictures...we'll see where it goes.

I am going to place an ad in our local paper for 39 days for $41...we'll see if that turns up any leads.

I haven't put it on Craigslist yet...been thinking about it though as well.

Roy,

I'm spending my kids inheritance on the coach...I certainly can't afford another Ex!...LOL

Joe.

Quick Reply: Indiana's August 2012 BS about all the flies, drought and heat...WAIT...can it get any HOTTER???????