Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Junior User

cassenbl is starting off with a positive reputation.
rust - fluid film vs ?

Just bought 2004 Ex that came from Minnesota. Frame rusty with some flaking but not severe (think metal under is solid). Seems allot of members here swear by Fluid Film for frame rust. Others have used chain saw oil and other rust converters. What has everyone found to work the best? I live on gravel roads and question these and dust collection.
Your thoughts?
Ben
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior User

Red97350 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I too am curious as I am in a very similar boat. I was thinking Ziebart, but I think that would be pricey.

Red
Old 07-31-2012, 09:03 PM
Junior User

Sarasota is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same situation here. I elected to go with Black Star in aerosol form. I think I'm going to go with a gallon next and apply with a bug sprayer. Black star seems to be working well and living up to claims.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Posting Guru

tdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to alltdappleman is a name known to all
I wanted the most protection I could get living at the coast. I cleaned the bottom with a strong degreaser and pressure washer and after it dried applied Rust Reformer. Has held up for over 3 years and the only area where surface rust is present is where the lift arms touch the frames for rotates, etc.

RustOleum.com
ASE Certified Technician www.coastalfastlube.com
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Senior User

grishw1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasota View Post
Same situation here. I elected to go with Black Star in aerosol form. I think I'm going to go with a gallon next and apply with a bug sprayer. Black star seems to be working well and living up to claims.
I've got blackstar under my truck and its worked great. Very easy to work with. Tried the bug sprayer as an application medium and it was kinda messy. You need a tip that allows it to come out very fine and the one I used was more like a stream, so it didn't work. I rolled and brushed mine on. Will buy the spray cans next time for the hard to reach areas.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior User

Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.
I just bought some Corroseal and so far it's looking pretty good. It only cost $52 for a gallon. I slopped it on with a brush and when it dried it was smooth, no brush marks at all. Another cool thing is that it dries clear over a painted surface.
Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint
Old 08-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Freshman User

Der ABT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Been looking into this as well. Had been looking at rust bullet but now i see there are alot more options
Old 08-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Junior User

Thanks everyone. Now I have lots of options.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Junior User

Decided to go with Corroseal. I am no where an expert here but what I am finding it seems rust converters that work are basically tanic acid to neutralize the rust and a polymer to seal the metal after the acid converts it. As long as it has these two ingredients, they are basically the same. I went to a few marine sites (boats in ocean water would be exposed to more salt than my truck) and corroseal has very good feed back. Yes it would be better to sand blast down and then seal but I do not want to do a body off restoration. I am going to hammer loose rust off with hammer and wire brush, then pressure wash, let dry and then spray on with Wagner paint sprayer. We will see how it goes. Ordered Corroseal online from Home Depot 1 gallon shipped to me for $57.21.
Ben
Old 08-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Senior User

grishw1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd2 View Post
I just bought some Corroseal and so far it's looking pretty good. It only cost $52 for a gallon. I slopped it on with a brush and when it dried it was smooth, no brush marks at all. Another cool thing is that it dries clear over a painted surface.
Corroseal Rust Converter | Metal Primer | Rust Paint
I liked the blackstar because it goes on a milky white and dries matte black which for me was great because I'm putting it underneath my truck and wanted it black.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Senior User

Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.Shepherd2 has a good reputation on FTE.
The Corroseal does the same thing. Goes on white, turns purple, then black. Must be a similiar formula.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Freshman User

outofcontrolreb is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used Blackstar on mine and it holding up
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs