Print Wikipost

Dual Wheel Tire inflators (DUAL)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink Dual Wheel Tire inflators (DUAL)

I believe I asked this question before but now really need to go to a dual tire hose system on my truck-I am needing to adjust the air pressure on my rear tires more often now, I have the factory Ford/Alcoa wheels and center caps-I am concerned about the aftermarket hoses and brackets fitting with these caps-I think I can cut a notch from the caps for the brackets though.
Anyone running these? brand? Thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We think alike Rick. I have been eye balling the Crossfire 80 psi dual inflation system. I can't get my fat hand thru the wheel to inflate the inboard tire. I didn't consider the center cap issue. I'll do some more research...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:21 PM
mtdigger
Senior User
Will be following this post...I replaced my factory 99 alcoa wheels with plain steel with simulators, the rv sites seem to have some nice systems, still have the factory rims if you guys need spares, I just hated the way they looked

Old 07-31-2012, 03:03 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Subscribed.

Also, a related question I've been meaning to ask - on the rears of the duallies, the inside wheels are stamped steel even though the outers are the aluminums. Any particular reason for that other than cost? If one had six aluminum wheels, could one run a pair on each side in the back?

Old 07-31-2012, 03:12 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MTalley
Subscribed.

Also, a related question I've been meaning to ask - on the rears of the duallies, the inside wheels are stamped steel even though the outers are the aluminums. Any particular reason for that other than cost? If one had six aluminum wheels, could one run a pair on each side in the back?
The rear wheels are only for the rear and the front are only for the front. If you put the aluminum wheel on the inside of the duals, the not so shiny part will show through the holes of the outside tire. These wheels are only polished on the side that shows.

I think I said this right.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Franko72
We think alike Rick. I have been eye balling the Crossfire 80 psi dual inflation system. I can't get my fat hand thru the wheel to inflate the inboard tire. I didn't consider the center cap issue. I'll do some more research...
Frank I don't know if I had told you that I had spent part of my career as a fleet mechanic and I used this and works great Part # G260 [G260] - $22.66 : PrierTireSupply.com, Setting the standard for service!
Part # AC25 [AC25] - $10.47 : PrierTireSupply.com, Setting the standard for service! for checking and filling tires that way you don't have to get your hands in there. But it also depends on what type of stems are installed on your rims. These are the stems I use. Ford Valve Stems : PrierTireSupply.com, Setting the standard for service! I am very funny about what stems I use on any and all vehicles I drive. Because when I did work as a fleet mechanic I seen any and all kinds of problems with valve stems and balancer systems. And balancers seem to be hard on valve stems and stem leaks. With that said if one leaks they both leak. NOT a good thing. Just something to think about. I myself would never use that set up. Better to run with one tire that is low than both going FLAT. And I have had that happen more than a hand full of times. But some guys swear by them. Six and one half dozon of the other.

Originally Posted by mtdigger
Will be following this post...I replaced my factory 99 alcoa wheels with plain steel with simulators, the rv sites seem to have some nice systems, still have the factory rims if you guys need spares, I just hated the way they looked
Hello Digger I am in need of a back up factory 99 alcoa. I have one rim that was cracked was welded before I bought the truck. I'll PM you on this.

Also incase you guys didn't know Alcoa made them but they are stamped with Ford part # and Alcoa had a recall on the ones with Alcoa # but not the Ford ones. Ford would only replace them when they were under factory warranty.

Well I have done alot of reseach on this matter. Alcoa has a very good website with a lot of info.
1: Alcoa Wheels North America: Literature: Technical Service: Dual Rear Wheel Mounting Instructions & Fitment Check
2: recall Alcoa Wheels North America: Literature: Technical Service: Product Recalls
3: No WELDING http://alcoa.com/alcoawheels/catalog...ting_Wheel.pdf

Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

I think there is a system on the market that has a guage built in so you can look at it anytime and see your pressure, also think there is a one way valve in the system foe each tire that prevents a complete "flat-out" (both tires going flat) I've seen this stuff on motorhomes...must be available somewhere........

Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by Supercab
I think there is a system on the market that has a guage built in so you can look at it anytime and see your pressure, also think there is a one way valve in the system foe each tire that prevents a complete "flat-out" (both tires going flat) I've seen this stuff on motorhomes...must be available somewhere........
Here is the Crossfire system that I was referring to. http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/index.shtml

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe I asked this question before but now really need to go to a dual tire hose system on my truck-I am needing to adjust the air pressure on my rear tires more often now, I have the factory Ford/Alcoa wheels and center caps-I am concerned about the aftermarket hoses and brackets fitting with these caps-I think I can cut a notch from the caps for the brackets though.
Anyone running these? brand? Thanks!
I am using something like this:
Wheel Masters: Dual Tire Inflation Systems

I am not sure of the brand as it came with the vehicle when I bought it.
Seems to work good for me. The outer tire has an easy to reach metal valve stem while the inner tire has a stainless steel braided hose extension that attaches to a bracket. The bracket is pop riveted to the hub cap/cover. Looks like a good connection.

I don't have a good photo but you might be able to see what I talking about in this pic....

Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Wink

Here is the Crossfire system that I was referring to. http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires/index.shtml
Frank, I took a look at those last night-ARE they saying $75.00 PER SIDE or PER KIT for 2 sides? looks like they have a guage in the system and also some type of valve to help equalize the pressure-but I'm still concerned about say getting a huge hole in 1 tire and the other tire being deflated to try & compensate.....may be I'm missing something....

Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Frank, I took a look at those last night-ARE they saying $75.00 PER SIDE or PER KIT for 2 sides? looks like they have a guage in the system and also some type of valve to help equalize the pressure-but I'm still concerned about say getting a huge hole in 1 tire and the other tire being deflated to try & compensate.....may be I'm missing something....
It's $75 per wheel I'll keep searching the rv forums and see what others are using.

Crossfire employs a safety feature that automatically isolates the "good" tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the "good" tire.

In slow leak situations, the valve isolates both tires after a pressure drop of approximately 10 P.S.I.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:18 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's $75 per wheel I'll keep searching the rv forums and see what others are using.

Crossfire employs a safety feature that automatically isolates the "good" tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the "good" tire.

In slow leak situations, the valve isolates both tires after a pressure drop of approximately 10 P.S.I.
Thanks for posting this info Frank. A system like this make me rethink my thoughts on these systems. But back in the day they didn't have these kind of features or technology. But at that cost??

Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 PM
landmobile
Senior User
We have been running crossfires on 3 fire trucks for several years. Don't remember what they cost, but so far no problems.

The visual check on pressure is quick and can be done by anyone. That's a nice feature when you're dealing with a fleet of trucks that might have many different drivers.