Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise -poosible push rod issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:19 AM
TruckDoggy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine noise -poosible push rod issue?

Hello, I have a problem with my 96 F150 w/ 5.0 engine. I've been having an issue with a noise coming from the engine once it has warmed up. It almost sounds like a Diesel engien at times with the knocking. It really sounds the worst right after I change my oil, which I have just done. Again, it only happens once the engine reaches normal operating temperature. At first, I thought it might be the oil pump itself, where I thought that the top most part of the engine is starving for oil. However, the oil pressure seems to be within the normal range, as well as overall engine temperature. The more I thought about it, as well as what I've read elsewhere on another forum, is that bad push rods will make a knocking noise once the engine has warmed up, so this seems to make sense if this in fact the problem. Also, I should point out that the engine oil level is correct, as I always ensure this with each and every oil change that I do. Just wanted to mention that so I don't get any comments about the correct amount of oil. Anyway, if it is the rods that need changed, what am I looking at as far as a.) Difficulty in the job itself, b.) The best parts to get, c.) Other items that I should change (rocker arms, valves, etc.). If there is something else that I should check out, I am open to suggestions there. Thanks for any information you might have.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:12 AM
79highboy150
Junior User
i have never heard of the pushrod making the noise, but the lifters on the other hand...to me there is no really good brand, cause at one point or another they all break but I am a fan of lunati. They make cams, lifters, rods, rockers, etc. The job itself isnt hard. just time consuming....drain coolant, take off intake, valve covers, rockers, push rods, then the lifters....usually need a good magnetic tip or a small pick to pull the lifters out.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lifters normally make noise when it's first started, because they've bled down the oil that's in them, until there's enough oil circulated into them to pump them back up.

Are you sure it's a top end noise?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:41 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Valvetrain sounds more like a tick than a knock. Can you tell what area the noise is coming from?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 AM
TruckDoggy
New User
The noise seems to originate from the bottom-most part of the engine, around oil pan level to be precise. One other thought was that it was a main bearing, but then I would hear that as soon as I started up the engine, and not only when it reaches operating temp. It just seems strange that it is really loud after doing an oil change, but after it is driven for awhile it seems to die down. Also, if I rev up the engine, the noise will go away once it reaches idle again, but then make noise after a minute or so of continuous idling.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 AM
TruckDoggy
New User
Just wanted to add that the engine has roughly 129,000 miles on it, as an FYI. I have the necessary Ford service manuals and access to AllData for any repairs needed, so if I end up changing any rods, lifters, etc., I should be alright with any specs needed to complete the job. I just want to identify the root cause so I can take care of this soon.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
What brand oil filter do you use?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
And what weight oil?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
My 93 5.0 did the same thing when it needed rod bearings. I caught it in time and was able to drop the pan and install new bearings before any damage was done to the crank.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:15 AM
TruckDoggy
New User
I originally thought about the bearings myself, but you would think that I would hear that upon starting and not after warming up. That's where the sound seems to be coming from, so that is possibly it. It is just strange that it occurs when it does though.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
If you don't have an oil pressure gauge, it may be worth putting one on, even for short term testing. Mine was bouncing all over the place before I replaced the bearings.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:39 PM
TruckDoggy
New User
Will do regarding the oil pressure gauge. The more I think about it I believe that I am probably on the right track regarding the connector rod bearings as the prime suspect for the noise. Hopefully I did not let it go too long and damage the crankshaft. It lloks like in order to remove the oil pan I need to hoist up the engine and remove the air plenum, is this correct? I lent my shop crane to someone just recently thinking that I wouldn't need it anytime soon, but I guess I may have to get it back from him soon.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Bob Gervais
Posting Guru
You're correct about raising the engine. I didn't use a hoist to do mine. Took off the upper plenum, jacked it up by the crank pulley, and pulled the oil pan. I did the oil pump and pickup screen at the same time, since I was that far in.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
Back in the day I bought a granada with a I6 in it. The PO said the motor was bad,rod knock supposedly. So I went to swap motors and found a big crack in the torque plate. It was towards the center where it bolts to the crank.mite be worth lookin' at.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
rloomis482
New User
Hello Guys, Before starting another post seen this one...

Hearing the same noise from my Stock 93 F-150 XLT 5.0. A4OD, 2WD X-Cab SB.

I am working on a u-Tube Video/Sound clip to share it. (Needs the Pan Gasket anyway to resolve a 1qt+/Week leek! But never ran low enough to cause this issue)

Started noticing it during warm up cycle 9mo.1yr ago. Only 6-7,000 miles ago.
(started stopped, started stopped, then nothing after warm-ups) and now after warm its continuous but much fainter than during warm up cycles.

(TruckDoggy)
Did we resolve this thread and solve the noise? What all was done?

----- ----- -----

***(Bob Gervais) stated it is rod noise from worn connector bearings?***

What causes this in low mile engines (Only 115k) on mine?
Damaged oil pump maybe?

What did you do for the job? Just the connector bearings, oil pump, pan gasket?

Oh if you do see this reply, can anyone tell me where I should hook up an Oil Pressure Gauge to test mine.

My Service Manuals seem to be MIA?

Quick Reply: Engine noise -poosible push rod issue?