1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for input on a 51 F1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:10 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for input on a 51 F1 Build

Hello, I have just joined this forum, but have been a Ford guy since I could drive (Own 3 Late model Mustangs currently). Anyway, I have just purchased a 1951 Ford F1 from a friend to add to my collection. I have been cruising many F1 sites to learn as much as I can about these cool vehicles and wanted to get some opinions on my initial build plan.

The truck already has a drive train from a '79 Lincoln Versailles already...a 135HP 351W and C4 Auto....Huge power!!!

Anyway, my plans:

Frame-off and box the frame
Mustang II IFS - Disk Brakes
8.8 rear with a 4-link
18" wheels (possibly late model Mustang)
408 Stroker (based on 351W)- possible Fuel Injected with Mustang Fuel tank and pump, Accel DFS
5 speed transmission (still need to decide on this)

As you can see, I am a mechanical guy...I will do all the body work, but nothing special

Any thoughts? Is this a poor start? Should I consider other options?

Does anyone know what manual transmission would be the best for this truck and a 351W? I am familiar with my t-5's and Tremec TKO, but not sure that either is the proper tranny.

Thanks in advance, I realize this is all personal taste....but I like to get opinions of those of you who have been there and done that.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, how about some pictures? We think better with them! Well, actually I'm a stock guy, in fact took out a 302 to put a Y-block back in, so I can't help much. Be patient, others will be along. I can speak for others when I say we'd like to see what you got.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:26 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
That sounds like quite the truck project. Based on your description, I would think you would want at a minimum the TKO 5 speed. As long as you keep your engine build within accepted torque parameters of your trans choice, it should work no differently than it would in your Mustangs.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
That's quite a heavy list of mods with some conflicting with others. Typical of newbes wanting to throw everything at a build. I always recommend sitting down with pen and paper an without any preconceived list of mods for the sake of mods or because of what the magazines show or people tell you is "cool" or must haves.
Instead make a list of all the things you want your truck to be "when it grows up". use functions rather than mods: Daily driver; trailered drag racer; serious competitive show truck; "lawn ornament" (local fun only shows); work truck (type of work, and loads carried and/or towed); long distance cruiser with all the modern comforts; etc.. You may see it as having multiple functions, then you should give them an order by importance. Next make a list of what would make the truck suitable for your purpose. Finally make a budget of time and money that you want to invest. One truism: whatever your most generous and/or optimistic budget, it will actually take 3 times as long and cost 4 times as much as you budgeted.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 PM
1950 79 ford
Freshman User
I agree with AXracer make a list of what you will use the truck for and that will help you see what you really need to plan on doing.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE! Ambitious plan...but I like it except for 18 inch wheels! IMHO, these old trucks look better with stock or near stock looking wheels and tires. As others have said, figure out what you want the truck to do and what you want to use it for and that will help sort out your plans.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 AM
52flathead
New User
Welcome to the site. AXracer has hit a home run. I have been building hot rods for more than 60 yrs. Clearly define what your goal is , like the old saying " measure twice cut once "
Lots of luck on your project
Chris

Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 AM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by REDHTGT
...a 135HP 351W and C4 Auto....Huge power!

Yes, Ford really did themselves proud on that. Almost 1 horsepower for every 2.5 cubic inches.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Thanks guys...Awesome community

Thanks everyone...I can tell that this build will be a fun one. This is a great community already. OK...so that is what I am trying to do here..measure up what a good plan is. So I will tell you a little about my other vehicles and what I want to do here...

I want a driver that is comfortable and will turn heads (and has 400-500HP). I know I need to change the suspension and brakes for this. I am comfortable with the small block, but only have experience with the 5.0 liter (and stroker versions). I have considered building a big block, but that gets into big bucks and outside my knowledge (but I could figure it out).

I guess I just wanted to test the waters to make sure that someone wouldn't say....why are you using a small block, the big block is the way to go, or why an 8.8 rear...the XXXX is a direct bolt in, better and easier.

Again, thanks guys. This is an awesome board!

Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by REDHTGT
I guess I just wanted to test the waters to make sure that someone wouldn't say....why are you using a small block, the big block is the way to go, or why an 8.8 rear...the XXXX is a direct bolt in, better and easier.

Again, thanks guys. This is an awesome board!
This is a great community and you will find very few people who question why you are doing a build your way (unless it's something REALLY out there).

Now, where are your pics???

Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 PM
REDHTGT
New User
Here is a picture of the 51 F1 as purchased. The seller named her Agatha....we will see if the name sticks. I will get better pictures later.

Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

That's a nice truck.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:07 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
That front bumper is interesting. It's not stock, and i don't know what it's from, but it seems to work.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:16 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello, and another welcome. I think you have a good start there. I'd be inclined to drive it around for a few months while you put together the plan.

Dan

Old 07-31-2012, 01:55 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like a 52 to me. What is the fourth character in the serial number (VIN)? Is it a 1 or a 2? 1 is a 51, 2 is a 52.

The hood, hood moldings and the hood latch panel (with the FORD letters) is what makes it a 52. Also, is there a serial tag (VIN tag) affixed in the upper right hand corner of the cowl inside the engine compartment? 52s didn't have this tag, while 51s did.

Quick Reply: Looking for input on a 51 F1 Build