Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:12 PM
Sdean
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carburetor suggestions

Have a 95 300, removed the efi and shopping for a carb now. Looking for a 4 barrel. Any suggestions?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:12 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdean
Any suggestions?
Stop being a backwards luddite and keep the EFI system. The speed density system is pretty bomb proof and Ford spent millions figuring out how to optimize fuel delivery and ignition for that combustion chamber style. If you swap to carb you'll wind up being less aggressive on timing and less precise on mixture and you're gonna lose a few ft*lb of torque across the board swapping to a carb.

If you're going to throw a big cam at it then sure, swap to a carb, pretty much any four barrel will be too much unless you do head work to take advantage of the cam.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 962 Likes on 762 Posts
This motor makes 150hp and swapping a carb intake on it won't change that, ever wonder why Ford put a 1bbl carb on these things?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:04 AM
Sdean
New User
I'm sorry, maybe I should have said that I AM going to put a carburetor on my truck. If you don't have a suggestion for a carb don't bother leaving useless comments. I grew up with carbs and will die with carbs. Just looking for some feedback, I already know what I need, just putting my feelers out.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not to be rude, but you're not going to get a lot of help here. Not many people in this section bother building 4.9/300s, and even fewer go backwards by getting rid of the EFI system, losing power and making their truck worthless by turning the engine bay into a cobbled mess.

You will get much better help at the FordSix or Inliners forum, since they almost exclusively deal with the older carb'd iterations of these engines.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:16 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
There is an inline six forum further down the main here too: Ford Inline Six, 200, 250, 4.9L / 300 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 04-14-2016, 04:28 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Not to jump on the bandwagon but why would you go back to a carb? The center cylinders run rich while the ones on fhe end run leaner. I have driven both carb'd and FI'd 300 and the FI engine run much better.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Not to jump on the bandwagon but why would you go back to a carb? The center cylinders run rich while the ones on fhe end run leaner. I have driven both carb'd and FI'd 300 and the FI engine run much better.
Familiarity, ease of tuning for engine performance mods.

But for the cost of the carb, manifold and everything else, he could have converted to the Mustang mass-air system.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:17 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
I'll stay off the carb vs EFI debate. If the OP wants a carb. let them do it. The Inline Six forum down the page has some good info. AbandonedBronco has a carbed six with a lot of experience. They can help out.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 AM
BocceMon
Senior User
I totally understand. I miss the simplicity of carburetors, condensers and points, yada yada. I'm 69 years old and old fashioned like most folks my age. However, I have found that working with these new "confound" engines is a challenge and educational experience, plus the simple fact that they are WAY more reliable. Come into the 21st century...I did, kicking and screaming but I did. BTW, I kinda' like an engine that will tell me what is ailing it. Amazing thing!

Old 04-15-2016, 10:07 AM
Benchwarmers6
Senior User
I'm on the fence. For something I drive every day and have to get to work and back in I have kind of gotten use to the having a car that starts on cold mornings, warms up fast, heats up the seats for me, A/C always works and that I dont smell like exhaust when I get out of. But for a toy??? When I pull the 4 banger out of my 93 Mustang to put the 351w in it, there will be a big carburetor sitting on top of it because I would rather be at the track playing rather than hunting down little efi issues or dyno tuning something. Carburetors when tuned right are pretty hard to beat.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:35 AM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Benchwarmers6
I'm on the fence. For something I drive every day and have to get to work and back in I have kind of gotten use to the having a car that starts on cold mornings, warms up fast, heats up the seats for me, A/C always works and that I dont smell like exhaust when I get out of. But for a toy??? When I pull the 4 banger out of my 93 Mustang to put the 351w in it, there will be a big carburetor sitting on top of it because I would rather be at the track playing rather than hunting down little efi issues or dyno tuning something. Carburetors when tuned right are pretty hard to beat.
I can tell you from experience that performance engines with carbs require a lot more fiddling than EFI engines do.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:30 PM
The_Drew
Senior User
The bullnose forum might be of help too

Old 04-15-2016, 12:48 PM
Benchwarmers6
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
I can tell you from experience that performance engines with carbs require a lot more fiddling than EFI engines do.
And I can tell you from experience that EFI engines will eat you out of house and home and cause my wife to get a lot more pissed at me than a carburated one and I enjoy being able to tune at the track having fun rather than having to take it to someone that has the ability to tweak the computer every time I want to do anything. A EFI engine that is tuned perfect and every sensor is working great is a beautiful thing, but for a budget minded hot rodder you will NEVER convince me that EFI is a better choice. I can put a carbd motor in a mustang for virtually nothing compared to the cost of EFI.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Benchwarmers6
And I can tell you from experience that EFI engines will eat you out of house and home and cause my wife to get a lot more pissed at me than a carburated one and I enjoy being able to tune at the track having fun rather than having to take it to someone that has the ability to tweak the computer every time I want to do anything. A EFI engine that is tuned perfect and every sensor is working great is a beautiful thing, but for a budget minded hot rodder you will NEVER convince me that EFI is a better choice. I can put a carbd motor in a mustang for virtually nothing compared to the cost of EFI.
Maybe in 1998 you'd be right. Not anymore.

$250 for a Moates QuarterHorse and the free TunerPro software will let you tune any and every single parameter on the '89-95 Mustang ECUs. A set of $80 42-lb/hr injectors, and a $25 Ford slot MAF in a 4" housing will support in excess of 500 RWHP if you want to go fast.

You don't need to take it to someone to change things, when A. A properly setup mass-air system will adapt to most common changes you make and B. Taking 20 minutes to learn the software will let you tune the engine yourself with a laptop or tablet.

Quick Reply: Carburetor suggestions