Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Aerostar
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM
New User

brokenjack is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bottom Radiator hose connector leak

I've noticed a spring of coolant shooting out of a connector that I'm assuming is connected to the bottom radiator hose via a smaller hose. Is there a hose that splits off the bottom radiator hose that is smaller. The leak is not coming from the hose, but the connector it's hooked to. Is this a replaceable part? What is it for?
Thanks for any help

97' aerostar
3.0 V6 with AC
Old 07-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Elder User

Jose A. is starting off with a positive reputation.

do you mean a metal line with a hex fitting that is connected to the radiator side tank above the large hose at the bottom battery side of radiator? if yes, that is for cooling the transmission fluid, but no coolant runs through those two steel lines, only transmission fluid is circulated through the radiator by the top and bottom steel lines.

if not that, do you mean the coolant expansion-recovery tank located under the battery that has a smaller hose connected to the radiator filler neck?

otherwise, as far as I know, there are only two radiator hoses from engine to radiator, top and bottom. unless you mean the Heater hoses on top of the engine which form a "Y" split.

a possibility is that someone installed a coolant Heater in that hose. A picture would be great.

1984 Jaguar XJ-6 4.2L RWD (owned since 1990)
1965 Jaguar S type 3.8L RWD (owned since 2004)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:12 PM
New User

It's not the recovery tank hose. It is a rubber hose leading to the connection, and it leads back toward the bottom of the car. I'll get a snapshot of it when I get a chance.
Thank you
Old 07-27-2012, 06:15 PM
New User

Pictures of the connector

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Elder User

unless I'm wrong, it looks like a heater hose or thermostat connection at a water pump nipple, also looks like it has been leaking rusty water for a while; I would drain the radiator and back flush it clean including the engine, with Prestone Super Flush, but that's another matter.

I will look at mine tomorrow to get a better perspective, unless someone else knows exactly what that connection is.

The good news: you have a G3 Alternator.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:28 PM
New User

Actually that rust was from a previous cooling system issue. It has been flushed, but I think the heater core is pretty corroded. Not sure I want to tackle that yet. Doing searches for lower radiator hose, the pictures always show a smaller hose split off from the main hose.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:24 AM
Postmaster

xlt4wd90 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
That particular hose looks like a heater return line. The other small hose goes up to the Y splitter that routes hot water to the front and rear heaters.

It's possible that the hose simply wore out and started leaking. That usually happens right at where the hose clamp grabs is. It may be a specially formed hose, with its own Y combiner for the front and rear heaters. If that's the case, the other ends have those cursed slip-fittings with the plastic barbed clips that are nearly impossible to remove without breaking them.

If it's just leaking at where it's clamped on the water pump nipple, I would just cut off a short section of that hose, including the leaky part, and get a new section of hose and a fitting to couple it to the other end of the piece that you cut off.

But looking at how rusty the cooling system was, it could be that the nipple itself is rusted away and leaking. In that case, you may need to get a new water pump. I've had to do that before, as I did not have any means of replacing one of those pressed-in nipples.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Elder User

I just looked at my Aerostar: a 1997 4.0 liter Extended Window van; Yours is a 3.0.

that connector shown in your picture is not in my engine, zero, nada. I looked everywhere with a bright lamp, no wonder I couldn't figure it out.

does your van have air conditioning? Is it a Cargo van?

what your second picture looks like, is that the Temp Sender for the Dash Gauge is mounted to that part where the hose is leaking, that's the only similarity I can see. (the temp sender). the Temp Sender in my engine is mounted further back, not where yours is.

But repairing the leaking hose is easy: loosen the clamp, remove the hose by twisting it left to right, (you might have to tear it off if it glued itself to the nipple);

do as xlt4wd90 said, cut an inch or more from the hose and reinstall it on the nipple; (short of replacing the entire hose which might be the better way to go). Using some type of sealer on the nipple would help eliminate any future leakage. I use Indian Shellac when replacing coolant hoses.

PERMATEX 20539 INDIAN HEAD GASKET SEALER $2.95 BUY ONLINE

get it at any autoparts store and while you're there, you might as well get a new hose. Napa or Autozone should have the new hose.

clean the nipple with sandpaper or sacrifice your wife's emery nail file if no sandpaper,

apply a thin coat of Indian Shellac to both the nipple and the inside of the hose, (just to the first inch or so of the hose's inside wall, easy does it), do not overtighten the hose clamp at the nipple, just tighten enough so that the rubber is not deformed by overtightening. Let dry before running engine and then run engine and observe for any leaking, tighten a little more if it leaks.

Piece of cake and celebrate!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Elder User

krankshaft is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just happened upon this post by chance.

I had this same issue with my 1996 3.0 Aero years ago the smaller hose on that fitting isn't a return for the heater core it goes to a molded T in the lower radiator hose.

I believe it to be a coolant bypass so coolant can circulate through the block when the thermostat is closed but that's just a theory.

Just like yours the fitting that threads into the block had rusted through and had pinhole leak in it right at the hose barb.

When I went to the Ford dealer it didn't show up on any of their parts diagrams and I ended up making my own fitting out of a brass 3/8" Tee from Home Depot and a 3/8" threaded hose nipple from Dorman that I bought at the auto parts store.

Check out this thread I posted with pics.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/41...-3-0-aero.html

Be sure to use RTV on the threads so you don't have any leaks.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Elder User

krankshaft is starting off with a positive reputation.
Feeling defeated all over again after reading this thread . I decided to browse Ford's online parts catalog myself determined not to stop until I found this stupid part in a diagram.

I was able to finally find the part number for it!! This fitting is exclusive to the 1995-1997 3.0 Aeros. The 4.0s of the aforementioned model years don't have it the temp sender on the 4.0 is threaded directly into the intake and the lower radiator hose doesn't have a T in it.

Elbow F77Z-18599-AA

Found it at Fordpartsgiant.com

To get to it:

Group : Engine

Subgroup: 3.0L

Part Type: Cylinder Block External Parts

It's diagram number 18599.

Click the get info button to see it in the parts diagram. It's identifiable because the single wire dash coolant temp sensor screws into the top of it.

The part is mis categorized as being part of the cylinder block when in actuality it threads into the intake manifold. It should have been in either the parts diagram with the radiator and coolant hoses or in the intake manifold diagram but it wasn't. Which is why I was never able to find it.

With that part number your dealer should be able to set you up entering that number into E-bay brings up a bunch of sellers selling them as well.

It does feel good to finally have a part number for that elusive part .
Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
New User

Krankshaft you da man

Thank you thank you!
You nailed it. I'll get the part. Yep pinhole leak on the fitting itself.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Elder User

yeahh! Krankshaft gets a Positively Positive! I looked with two lamps looking for that fitting in my 1997 4.0, nada. Yes, in my engine the sender is at the intake next to the Coolant Temp Sensor (funny, just like in my 1992 Aerostar 3.0).

and what's more curious, both of my Jaguars have that coolant bypass system.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM