Sponsored by: DP Tuner

P0231 no fuel to bowl?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Florida Native 72
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0231 no fuel to bowl?

I drove 350 miles to Dallas and truck ran perfect. I shut it off and parked it for an hour or so and started back up fine and got a half mile down the road and started running rough and no power. I pulled off the road and truck died. I drained the fuel bowl and a little came out but cycled the key and nothing. Felt the fuel pump and there was nothing? I replaced the pump 20000 miles ago. I also checked the fuses and the fuel reset switch and all was good. Could it be a bad pump or something else?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robby, The only time I have got that code, although it wasn't on the superduty it was the fuel pump. But just to make sure unplug the fuel bowl heater, replace the fuse for the fuel pump, and you could try swapping the relay with the PCM relay as well.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Florida Native 72
Freshman User
I replaced the fuel pump with a $580 ford oe and changed the cps. We got it going again and drove about 50 miles and now its doing the same thing again. Any other suggestions?

Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Ouch, that sucks...Did you have voltage at the pump before replacing? Do you have it now?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Florida Native 72
Freshman User
Does anyone know of any good repair shops in the Dallas denton area? I give up!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Is the fuel pump not pumping fuel again?

I keep thinking UVCH after hearing it chugg on the phone, but this P0231 code is throwing me for a loop. If the fuel pump is giving you issues again, then pulling the VC's is a waste of time right now UNLESS there is some connection with the UVCH and the fuel pump giving up
If we can't diagnose this I'll be heading to Dallas with a rental trailer to come rescue you. HOWEVER, we still need to get this issue figured out and get your truck running.

Has the IDM code ever reappear?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I recall someone posting about an issue with the connector/wiring, in the frame, leading to the fuel pump. Follow the wires forward from the fuel pump to the connector/plug. Pull it apart and see if the pins are corroded or wiring has a break at that point. If so, you may be able to cut the connector out and "hard wire" it. It is worth looking into.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Florida Native 72
Freshman User
The fuel pump is running..I let the truck cool down and started it and it idled smoothly. The new ford fuel pump came with new wire and plug.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by mueckster
I recall someone posting about an issue with the connector/wiring, in the frame, leading to the fuel pump. Follow the wires forward from the fuel pump to the connector/plug. Pull it apart and see if the pins are corroded or wiring has a break at that point. If so, you may be able to cut the connector out and "hard wire" it. It is worth looking into.
We will be looking at that. Thanks Roland.

Originally Posted by Florida Native 72
The fuel pump is running..I let the truck cool down and started it and it idled smoothly. The new ford fuel pump came with new wire and plug.
Point it south and drop the hammer.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 AM
DieselDowdy
Senior User
check the inertia swicth under the passenger side kick panel press untill it clicks far shot but maybe ....there are only so many causes for this code check all fuel pump relays and fuses realted to that circut also jsut for giggles how much fuel do you have in your tank when this is happening if its around 1/4 to 1/2 try this as its free and see if it makes a difference pull the feed line off the pump and blew some air threw it untill u hear bubbles in tank .....keep us updated

Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Brandon, Robbly left the truck at a diesel shop in Dallas. He is getting fuel now but after it warms up it starts running on one bank. We are thinking UVCH issues now
We will be driving it (or towing it) back on sat.
If the shop does not fix the UVCH I will be doing the .50 cent mod and the intank mods when he gets the truck back.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:24 PM
DieselDowdy
Senior User
If it was the harness it would set code to see. The thing is your gonna need a scanner capable of acceasing the IDM. All of the injector codes are store in the IDM if there is a problem under those valve covers the idm will store a code or two. So basically truck needs a scanner that can access the idm and preform a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test to properly diagnose the problem .

Old 07-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by DieselDowdy
If it was the harness it would set code to see. The thing is your gonna need a scanner capable of acceasing the IDM. All of the injector codes are store in the IDM if there is a problem under those valve covers the idm will store a code or two. So basically truck needs a scanner that can access the idm and preform a buzz test and a cylinder contribution test to properly diagnose the problem .
We checked the truck with my AE last week and no codes came up, but a week before that he did get a UVCH code ( I don't recall the code #) Buzz test was good, contribution test was good as well.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM
DieselDowdy
Senior User
When the truck warms up and starts running rough what are the sounds like and feelings ? When a PSD starves for fuel it will being to cackle ( injector knock ) loudly like a 6.0. Also is the CES light on when this is happening . I kinda get the felling this is more of a fuel supply issue rather than injection issue ? Please be as specific as possible with discription of conditions note any lamps that may be displayed also what is level of fuel in tank at the
Oment the truck runs rough this is very important thing to notice ?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:11 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Originally Posted by DieselDowdy
When the truck warms up and starts running rough what are the sounds like and feelings ? When a PSD starves for fuel it will being to cackle ( injector knock ) loudly like a 6.0. Also is the CES light on when this is happening . I kinda get the felling this is more of a fuel supply issue rather than injection issue ? Please be as specific as possible with discription of conditions note any lamps that may be displayed also what is level of fuel in tank at the
Oment the truck runs rough this is very important thing to notice ?
I'll have to let Robby chime in on that, I was 5 hrs away trying to help him on the phone. I'm sure he'll have more details.

Quick Reply: P0231 no fuel to bowl?