Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

How about an aluminum F150?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 AM
chris95eddie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes that will so cool!!!!!!! fuel economy is a mast have to day!!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:35 AM
chris95eddie
New User
Also diesel engine is something that the f150 series needs

Old 08-16-2012, 05:30 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chris95eddie
Also diesel engine is something that the f150 series needs
Ford talked about making an optional diesel engine starting in 2009 but it never happened.

I think Ford making truck panels out of lighter weight material is inevitable.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Parts Jimmy
Senior User
I have been selling Ford Parts for 25 years. The intrusion of Chinese replacement parts into the marketplace has been pushed for years by your insurance companies. Ford Motor Company makes a decent profit on OE replacement parts. The Ford dealers on the other-hand barely get by when being forced to compete for sales to collision shops. It will be interesting how the Chinese manufacturers and insurance companies that mandate collision shops to use those low quality parts react to aluminum replacement parts.

700 lbs of weight reduction is huge. This will defiantly help fuel millage. How about a F100 based on the Euro Ranger using aluminum panels with Ecoboost and Duratorque for power? Can you say midsized truck that gets 30+ mpg? I would spring for a new truck if that is possible.

I am all for aluminum! Bring it on.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would also welcome diesel power in an F150. I'm not against lighter weight body panels whether it be aluminum, carbon fiber or whatever. But I am against any further price hikes. And it can't be blamed on over-paid assembly line workers, either. Top pay these days for a line worker is under $20 per hour. Even with wage and benefit reductions for the bulk of Ford employees they raise prices annually. That would lead one to believe that the upper echelon management is really doing well in the pay department if compensation is blamed for the prices. As a share holder I can say with some degree of certainty that the shareholders are doing alright, but they're not getting rich off the profits. So whatever direction Ford goes it is imperative to hold the line on prices if they want sales.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:11 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know what the problem is here?
The problem is people "wanting things" that don't sell.

So many people want electric cars- how many sell? Barely any.
And the newer designs deliver very well, they just don't sell.

Diesel ranger or f150? Great idea, except north american customers are hell bent on power and performance.

I think a diesel f150 could get a solid 25 MPG, and a diesel ranger, 30 MPG.

You'd have to go with 100-200 hp diesels though, not 300-400 hp.

Will anyone buy a 200 hp truck that gets awesome mileage?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 AM
RoughIdle
Junior User
Originally Posted by MCDavis
In theory...this is good. Fuel efficiency should increase and payload should increase too. We will have to wait and see. Im ok with the aluminum panels. Harder to repair though (think dent removal) and that could be problematic.

Due to the increase in safety needs these trucks have become pigs. Im all for something to reduce the weight and gain some relief on a weekly basis at the pump.
Dent removal is actually easier on aluminum than steel. Just make sure the tech doing it is using a rounded more blunt tool as opposed to a sharp point like what is used for steel.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:41 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
It better be easier, these things would get way more dents.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:16 AM
chris95eddie
New User
f150 diesel

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]>******** classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>*********> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Κανονικός πίνακας"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hi guys I leave in Greece, was born in the U.S.A and love ford trucks but gas price per gallon is 6.20 $ in Greece. I think that a diesel power f150 is mast have and now is
The best time to do it with fuel prices rising all the time!! There was a engine made from ford 4.4 lt turbo diesel and it wend to land rover I think?
I will be the first to buy the diesel f150 if it comes to the market!!!!!!!!!!
Everybody here drives small Japanese made trucks that run with diesel fuel. The Europe ford makes a ranger truck also small but with diesel engine.

P.s Japanese can go back to making sushi for all I care!!!!!!!

Chris

Old 08-17-2012, 03:26 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
The diesel engine used overseas does not meet emission levels in north america.

We already have a 6.7 400 hp diesel, and thats what people want.

I wish there was a low power high mileage diesel available, but who is really going to buy it? a few hundred people?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:28 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
The 3.7L trucks are getting a solid 24-25 MPG's and come standard on the F-150. No matter what kind of mileage you get from a diesel, the MPG's will never pay back the outrageous initial cost and maintenance.

I would personally love to have a small 4 cylinder diesel in a sedan or Ranger that gets awesome MPG's. VW diesels of 10-12 years ago were achieving nearly 50 MPG's on the hwy, now many car gassers are getting 40+ and for much less money.

If aluminum or composite becomes the norm then it will eventually be widely accepted.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:51 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
What ever happened to the good old days, thicker body metal, simpler mechanics, lower but reliable power.

We really haven't come to far, I mean what does a 6.7 2012 powerstroke get for mileage?
How about a 1988 7.3 IDI diesel?

Not much difference at all.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:53 AM
chris95eddie
New User
f150disel

i would like think that more then few hundred people will go to a small full size truck like the f150 with a diesel engine!!!!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why is everyone carrying on about aluminum F150s when Ford has denied the rumor?

Old 08-17-2012, 07:31 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by chris95eddie
i would like think that more then few hundred people will go to a small full size truck like the f150 with a diesel engine!!!!!!
Maybe a few hundred was an extreme opinion, I think lots of people would buy them.
I just don't think they would be a major success.

To successfully throw a diesel into an f150, it would have to be in the 250- 300 hp area to not grenade transmissions from tourque.
That isn't impressive power by todays standards.

Do you think anyone would really spend the cash on the diesel when the ecoboost f150 would easily out perform it?

They could push more power, but then they'd start needing beefier parts in the truck, at which point they'd be closing the gap between the 150 and 250/350 trucks. Not going to happen.

So, my question is; how many people would really buy an f150 with 250 hp that costs probably an easy 6000$ on top of the ecoboost that outperforms in power by a landslide?

I'm well aware that 250 hp would drive and tow fine, but are people going to buy it?

Whos going to pay thousands of dollars extra to buy a lower powered truck, that will likely not get good in town mileage because of stop and go failed regen's?

Anyone who tows lots would just get a super duty, so the only market appeal would be to the same crowd as the ecoboost- mileage and occasional towing... problem is that the ecoboost is already serving those guys.

I'd have to imagine that if this ever even became a thought, it would be fords 6.7 cut down to a v6.

Quick Reply: How about an aluminum F150?