Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
New User

max4hdmatt is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel pump question

I am in the process of buying a 05 6.0 and it needs a bigger fuel pump. It has a bigger turbo and 190cc injectors. I was looking at the air dog raptor 150 gph pump. In wondering if that's going to put out enough fuel for the truck or do I need one that puts out more fuel? It has approx 700hp. Thanks
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 PM
New User

Any advice anyone?
Old 07-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
you need a regulated return and get rid of the Dead Head system it has

Air Dog or Fass or something I beleive the guys use

do a search on here should get some good info on it
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 07-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Elder User

Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max4hdmatt View Post
I am in the process of buying a 05 6.0 and it needs a bigger fuel pump. It has a bigger turbo and 190cc injectors. I was looking at the air dog raptor 150 gph pump. In wondering if that's going to put out enough fuel for the truck or do I need one that puts out more fuel? It has approx 700hp. Thanks
Driven Diesel 6.0L Regulated Return Kit

$665

that is a lot of fuel.... 700 hp... ?

how'd it manage to run with the OEM setup?
Apollo 13 home.... just sayin'.....
Old 07-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
I'd like a few more specifics on the turbo and injectors before I make a recommendation on fuel. How did you arrive at the 700 hp number and is that flywheel or rear wheel HP?

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Senior User

dillehay is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would say use extreme caution buying anything that was previously modified.

There could be alot of abuse to that engine hidden behind those shiny parts.

If you want to build a rig find a clean stock or at least mostly stock truck and start there.

You may be happy with the truck and its performance at that level.

Extreme mods do extreme (expensive) damage.

Good luck
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Elder User

Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillehay View Post
Extreme mods do extreme (expensive) damage.

Good luck
the technical term is called "tinky.... tinky.... BANG!"
Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Posting Guru

MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.
I did a little reading, and 600 hp appears to need 250 cc injectors and a big shot of nitrous. Fire ringed heads, but the bottom end appears up to it. No one was really talking about an honest 700 hp, but you would definitely need a lot of turbo, and probably bottom end work.

Brian
Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Senior User

dillehay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
the technical term is called "tinky.... tinky.... BANG!"
Good advice to live by
Old 07-27-2012, 10:07 AM
New User

Yea 700 hp is a round about number. at the wheel its probably around 550 at most. its actually belongs to a good buddy of mine and i have seen the whole life of the truck and its been taken care of. it runs fine with the oem. but you gotta drive it like an 80 year old grandma or it will blow injectors after a couple months. so its sounds like after doing some research im going to need a bigger fuel pump and regulated return? correct me if im wrong. i also appreciate the information everyone.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM
New User

also im obviously going to need bigger fuel lines to accomodate for the bigger fuel pump.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Elder User

Quote:
also im obviously going to need bigger fuel lines to accomodate for the bigger fuel pump.
'm kay.... you can throw money at this all day long....
as has been said here, one of the stronger 6.0 participants
here is tex, at 500 hp. he recently posted what he's done
to run 200k miles without a tinky, tinky, bang. it's substantial.
the tranny mods were $5k.

you might want to talk to him.

let's put this in perspective. a diesel putting out
100 horsepower per liter in a street driver is a bit nuts.

i have a sport bike i enjoy. it's 1,300 CC, and 180 RWHP. to get that is
no small feat of engineering, and part of it requires the vehicle be moving
above 150 mph, as the static head intake pressure at that speed is 6 pounds
boost from the air intakes, and it takes above 9,000 rpm to do it. it won't
produce that on a dyno... maybe 130-140 on a dyno without the airflow.

so... 100 hp per liter, more or less. you want to get 15% more than that
from a light truck engine with a stock long block? with stock crank,
rods, and pistons?

how long do you expect this "daily driver" to last?

go look at tex's build sheet, and add all parts he has that you don't.
that's been proven for 500 hp.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM
New User

Its got a suncoast tranny and worked pistons and aftermarket crank. its got everything it needs minues the fuel system. all im trying to do is get info on the fuel system. i know motors and transmission decently i just dont know much about fuel systems.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Senior User

metmop is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Most of the people crusing this forum run mostly stock (or lightly tuned) trucks for towing or various other work. While I am not saying you won't get the answer here... you may want to consider posting this thread in either the offroad (they modify trucks a lot) or the fuel section of FTE. Either way Good Luck. One of the things I love about trucks is their versatility. One of the things I hate about humans is the way they screw up their perfectly good trucks

-2011 Harley Davidson Superglide
-2004 F350 XLT 6.0L SRW Offroad FX4 with Long Bed, Sinister Coolant Filter, blue spring, SG2.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Its got a suncoast tranny and worked pistons and aftermarket crank. its got everything it needs minues the fuel system. all im trying to do is get info on the fuel system. i know motors and transmission decently i just dont know much about fuel systems.
Where did the crankshaft come from? I've never seen or heard of an issue with the stock crank and I know of one with 1000+ HP (rear wheels). I'd also like to see the dyno sheets for the horsepower or is it just an estimate? What tuner and whose tuning is it running?

Metmop: There are more than a few of us running (or have run) some fairly heavy modifications on the 6.0.

Rest in peace Mojo. My friend and faithful companion you shall ever be.

Tim
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM