Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > International Region > Australia Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Australia Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: ChunderDownUnder

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.

I just used trusty fleabay to purchase a ****** strap. An Ironman brand 9m x 100mm 11,000kg.

Reading the instructions it says that ideally the capacity of the strap should be 2 to 3 times the weight of the LIGHTER recovery vehicle. So the 11,000kg strap will get good only if I'm being pulled out by another F250, or something bigger.

If I'm going to get into the habit of being rescued by Cruisers I should have opted for the 9,000kg strap and saved a few bucks.

Any thoughts anyone, other than don't get stuck in the first place?

Do 4WD'ers take a few straps of different capacities in their rescue bags?
MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 07-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Posting Guru

ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.ChunderDownUnder has a great reputation on FTE.
No point askin me bro. BIGGER IS BETTER
join the Australian Chapter here-Join Chapter
Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Posting Guru

SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.SSSimon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I agree!

The point is what happens if you get stuck and the guy towing you out is driving a lightweight? The light vehicle is not going to stretch the 11,000kg strap and you might be stuck until another F250 (or larger) comes along....

Latest minor mod was to put some recovery points on the back of my truck The Ironman ****** strap instructions state 'DO NOT USE A TOW BALL as a recovery point'.

I used trusty flea-bay to source 2 10,000 lb recovery hooks at $22.50 + $7.50 postage each. Have fitted them up to the tow bar side plates which are themselves bolted to the chassis with 4 very large bolts each side:
Attached Images

MODS: Hutch,ICboots,plenum inserts,IH uppies,G2WW,HPx,AIH delete,EBPV delete,hi flow outlet,CCV mod,OCR,Zoodad,6637,4" TB exhaust,JW VB,coolant filter,FRx,'05 HD lights with switch bypass relays,B20 ready fuel system(3 filters).Stratos truck seats,rear head rests,LED running lights, 285-75-16s. Gauges:EGTx2,Boost,Trans temp,Fuel pressure,Eng oil temp, Coolant temp, Edge CS, PHP tuner
NOT done: big oil, big brakes, big turbo. Next Mods? None - I'm done!
Australia: where Mechanics use spanners & Plumbers use wrenches
Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM