6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 blowing coolant under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM
mlytc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 blowing coolant under the hood

While driving today, I noticed a mist on my windshield and a slight roaring noise coming from the engine compartment. I let off of the accelerator and the roaring stopped. I noticed that the temp gauge went almost to the red and then started back down. I pulled over and raised the hood and there was coolant on top of the engine but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. Went back and checked the temp gauge and it was showing normal. Drove it another 20 miles and the gauge stayed in the normal range and jumped back up to almost red only once. The roaring sound returned when it did, but quickly went away when the temp gauge dropped. I parked it and kept a watch for coolant leaks but saw none and there is no puddle of coolant under the truck. Coolant blew out from under the hood on the driver side.
05 F-250 with 163k miles, heads replaced under warranty at 95k in Dec. 09 and the EGR cooler failed at 101k and was replaced by a Ford Tech at the dealer. First problem I have since 101k.
Will be headed to dealer first thing in the morning, but I am trying to get an idea of what it may be and how much shop time I am looking at. Thanks in advance.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Did they replace the oil cooler also when you had the EGR cooler replaced?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:20 PM
mlytc
Junior User
Yes they did.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,720 Posts
Old 07-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
tat roaring sound is ur radiator fan going off, especially when ur in the red zone for temps, it'll automatically kick in.

dont mean to sound like a stickler, but it may be ur egr cooler or oil cooler going out again. in any case, if it's either, replace both anyway.

one good way to check if it's ur egr cooler, is to park nose down after driving, pop the hood open, pop out the egr valve and check the egr valve and the receptacle to see if there's any wetness. the soot in there is supposed to be bone dry....... like toner from a copier machine..... sorry, i work for Xerox. hence the punt.

if it's wet and soggy, then u have a busted egr cooler.

not to sound paranoid, but when i had my oil cooler, egr cooler, ipr assembly, batteries, alternator issues, my coolant was actually leaking into the engine. eventually, my engine hydrolocked. couldnt even start.

i'd hate for u to experience wat i went thru. now would be a good time for diagnosis and replacement of parts before it becomes a catastrophe.

if ur in there, try doing the dummy plugs and standpipes. ford has updated parts on them fellas. lasts longer. also, dont forget to do ur updated STC fitting. it goes on the HPOP. lasts longer too. figures. its a ford thing. they kinda slow.

like a worm...... like me...... lol.

hope they have better news for u, pal. let us know how tat all goes.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
mlytc
Junior User
If it turns out to be the EGR cooler, which I'm preparing myself for, can I put a delete kit on it without changing the cooler itself to save some money?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Yes but u still gotta change out ur oil cooler. U also gotta flush the entire cooling system.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
If its the EGR cooler, that means your Oil Cooler ate itself as well.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
mlytc
Junior User
I knew the oil cooler is a given if it's the EGR, I just wasn't sure if I could do the delete with the old EGR cooler. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Deleting is just removing the current one and replacing the hole with a plate n bypass kinda thingey. Lol.

Don't forget to flush out before putting new stuff in. U don't want to mess up ur pretty new stuff.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
mlytc
Junior User
Just ordered Custom Diesels delete kit, complete with oil cooler and tuner. Hope I'm through worrying with this problem now.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:14 PM
mlytc
Junior User
OK, got the oil cooler replaced, delete kit installed and ran it about 50 or so miles and now I am getting a rough idle and shake about 45-50 mph and it is showing a p0278 code, cylinder 6 contribution balance. The tech said he had some trouble with a couple of the wiring harnesses cracking on him but he thought they would be ok. Big rain tonight just before it started acting up, what are the chances it is going to be wiring rather than the injector?
Pulled the code with the SCT tuner that came with the delete kit I got from Custom Diesel.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mlytc
The tech said he had some trouble with a couple of the wiring harnesses cracking on him but he thought they would be ok.
it would seem like that might be the problem.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM
mlytc
Junior User
It was, in fact, the injector. Number six was misfiring and the screen was bad, number 4 had a slight problem as well. Both replaced and also replaced the radiator as it was leaking around the top seal. Got it all put back together and let it sit and idle for the better part of an hour to make sure all coolant leaks were fixed and the injectors were going to act right. Everything went great and I started home with it, got about 2 miles from the shop and it started puffing smoke out the tailpipe and died. No CEL, put it on the computer and no codes. It will turn over, but doesn't want to start, any ideas? I vaguely remember somewhere on here, maybe, something about the SCT tune for the delete causing the truck to die, am I remembering correctly? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Might be watever ur saying but I'm tempted to think tat it might be ur ipr or it could be something small like ur icp sensor. Tech folder will tell u how to verify tat.

It may be ur CKP sensor. Then again, tat will throw a code. Hmmmm.....

Quick Reply: 6.0 blowing coolant under the hood