6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Help me to love my truck again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Lozeke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me to love my truck again.

I have an 08 F-250 with 19,000 miles and out of the bumper to bumper warranty. Recently while pulling my trailer (7,000 lbs) camping the engine fan ran constantly for about 60 miles. Weather was 95 degrees and route was from Albuquerque to Santa Fe when this was happening. It also happened running around town the other day , weather was cloudy and about 85 out. The thing would not shut off and it drives me nuts. I had the dealer look at it before warranty expired and of course they could not duplicate it.

My exhaust is also leaking I believe because I can smell the exhaust in the cab when at a stop. If I put the A/C in recirculate it stops the smell but I should not have to do this on what is basically a new truck. It even still smells new and I only use it for towing the trailer around. This seems to me like a cab off repair and I don't even want to imagine how much this would cost me to fix. As far as the A/C it feels more like a swamp cooler than referigated air. I had the dealer look at this as well and they found a leak and supposedly fixed it. It hasnt been a year or 12k miles since it was supposedly fixed under warranty. Do I have any recourse with the dealer for this?

Last but not least when I park the truck and get out it never unlocks all the doors and I have to constantly unlock the doors for the kids to get out. Where would I locate the module if any to fix this?

Sorry for the rant but I used to love my truck, now not so much. I am not a troll just an enthusiast of Ford trucks who needs to be shown the light again.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Go here for the owners manuals. There is a procedure for the door locks:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp

For the exhaust leak here is a TSB that probably applies:
Exhaust leak in engine compartment:
Some trucks may have an exhaust odor inside or exhaust smoke may be visible around the front. This could be caused by a leak at the turbo outlet from a misaligned downpipe. Verification requires disconnecting the turbo oil supply tubes (replace the banjo sealing washers, W302474) and removing the turbo heat shield to inspect. If the leak is at the turbo outlet, the downpipe will need to be repositioned to seal correctly, with a new downpipe to turbo gasket (7C3Z-6L612-B) and v-band clamp (7C3Z-5A231-AC), and new nuts for the downpipe to catalytic converter flange (W711407-S900). If properly installed, the downpipe will be 11/16" +/- 1/8" from the frame rail. TSB 07-7-7

For the Fan..it is stuck and probably is bad. If stuck that it too them and ask for a road test with the SA or tech with the laptop hooked up.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As to the Engine fan, I had that issue a couple of years ago. Ended up changing out the clutch and new sensor. It is normal for it to sound like an airplane when you first start up and give it some throttle, but then it disengages and the noise is absent. Mine was surging, pulsing going down the road or would just stay engaged regardless of engine rpm and was quite noisy, you could not hardly talk to a passenger in the cab without raising your voice quite a bit. I set my Scangauge to monitor the Fan Speed Sensor and I could see the pulsation every few seconds. It would pulse from 37 rpm to up to 90 rpm doing 1800 engine rpm and upon start it would go higher. Normally it throws a code but mine did not. A few months, say 9 or so, I had a sound when shutting down the engine as if it were dry bearing freewheeling. First thought was turbo spinning down, but it turned out to be the fan clutch again. Replaced and has been fine since. I would have that clutch checked out, it is computer controlled and is dependent upon temp readings on different parts of the cooling system and the logic.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Lozeke
New User
Thanks for the info. I think I have the auto unlock issue resolved, it's used to unlock before and then stopped. As for the exhaust this looks like it might still be covered by the powertrain warranty so I'll take it in and hope for the best. Do you think the fan would be considered part of the powertrain as well? If not do you think this is a costly repair or is this something I can fix with a programmer? One more year of powertrain coverage and I can tune my truck.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:16 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Consult the owers manual and warranty manual. Not sure if the fan would be covered or not.

You can ask the SA to look the clutch fan up by part # beforehand and they can tell you.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:18 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had our fan replaced around 85K miles under the powertrain warranty. It was locking up and unlocking about every 20-30 seconds.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Lozeke
New User
Thanks for the replies. I hope I too can have the fan replaced under the power train warranty, that thing can be really annoying when it runs constantly.