1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

door speaker size?? 86 f150

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
That's weird... hmmm... Perhaps it's a 1980-1981 thing. It's also possible that it's not wired that way, (I doubt it's a huge mistake like that in the book) because you are right, it doesn't make sense.

The 1982 Bronco harness I got was wired like this...

As for twice the performance, um, more like a 25-40% increase.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
That's weird... hmmm... because you are right, it doesn't make sense.
Boy, I am *so* glad to hear that, coming from you!

Because I look at that (green line) and then at the (alleged) speaker wiring below that, and just go.... huh?

Where is that Tim Taylor thing.....

Tim Allen's Home Improvement Grunt - YouTube

Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ctubutis
...Because I look at that (green line) and then at the (alleged) speaker wiring below that, and just go.... huh?
I've got another one. this one is in my own diagram above.

Circut 54: Light Green/Yellow stripe is constant 12v power.

Why is it connected to those light bulbs in the radio? Presumably they are the radio dial illumination bulbs.

According to that diagram, Circut 54 hooked up to the bulbs like that would cause them to be burning constantly, 24/7.

So it's my turn to say, huh?

That proves to me that these Ford diagrams are not 100% accurate.

A scary thought...

Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 PM
siloketh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speaking of speaker sizes, what size speaker did ford use in tbe center dash speaker mount? Was just slightly curious because I might try and tie that in when I redo my entire sound system with something not as grainy sounding.

HIJACK OVER

Old 07-30-2012, 08:26 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, keep in mind Ford didn't put rear speakers in pickups till 87 or later. The left side front and rear + and right side front and rear + are connected together so a 4 channel radio will work with two speakers. Aftermarket radios tell you to do that if you only have 2 speakers. When you add rear speakers (like Matt and I did mine) you have to separate the channels to get proper operation. You also need to match the impedance of the fronts.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
ctubutis
It gets better....

I got one of those gray/silver JBL things from the Lincoln version of a Granada (Versailles?) without paying attention. I mean, it looks just like all the others, right?

I finally tried to make it work... and I compared the speaker connector to the one in my truck, which has got hand-written notes on it telling me what goes to what.

And I compare....

And...

Huh?????

No front speaker wiring????

Only thing I can think is this thing (an E6 prefix) is designed to work ONLY with an amplifier....

Attached Images    
Old 07-30-2012, 08:35 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by 81-F-150-Explorer
I've got another one. this one is in my own diagram above.

Circut 54: Light Green/Yellow stripe is constant 12v power.

Why is it connected to those light bulbs in the radio? Presumably they are the radio dial illumination bulbs.

According to that diagram, Circut 54 hooked up to the bulbs like that would cause them to be burning constantly, 24/7.

So it's my turn to say, huh?

That proves to me that these Ford diagrams are not 100% accurate.

A scary thought...
To add to that... there is no light blue/red-stripe wire in existence at all! Dimmable dash lighting I guess wasn't needed, just use the always-on circuit and be done with it.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Coneynew
Senior User
Originally Posted by ctubutis
It gets better....

I got one of those gray/silver JBL things from the Lincoln version of a Granada (Versailles?) without paying attention. I mean, it looks just like all the others, right?

I finally tried to make it work... and I compared the speaker connector to the one in my truck, which has got hand-written notes on it telling me what goes to what.

And I compare....

And...

Huh?????

Only thing I can think is this thing (an E6 prefix) is designed to work ONLY with an amplifier....
Did you ever get that to work? I only say because I think I have the amp for that thing! No kidding.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:55 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
door speaker size?? 86 f150

It gets better....

And I compare....

And...

Huh?????

I have a similar one out of a Crown Vic wagon, the amp was in the rear left on that one. But I have the whole thing, I also have an Audiovox AM-FM CB for a Ford.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by Coneynew
Did you ever get that to work? I only say because I think I have the amp for that thing! No kidding.
I don't remember for sure but I think I did! I don't remember how well the rear speakers work as compared to the fronts and I'm suspicious of my speaker wiring. I have 3 of these radios, only one works kinda-sorta OK with both front & rear speakers hooked up but I don't think it's this one.

You have the amplifier? Does it work? What kind of wires does it want hooked to it? I just installed a JBL system in a 1993 Taurus (using 1995 parts) and the number of wires a factory amp has is shocking. I haven't tried to look them up in the wiring diagrams, the drawings for that car's wiring will make your eyes buggy.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:58 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 85lebaront2
Guys, keep in mind Ford didn't put rear speakers in pickups till 87 or later.
It was 1992.

The left side front and rear + and right side front and rear + are connected together so a 4 channel radio will work with two speakers.
I think you are missunderstanding what we are talking about.

We already know that one. Why I replaced my speaker harness/and Chris is contemplating on using the Bronco wiring harness in our trucks.

1980-1986/up Broncos had Four speakers and is wired for all four channels, and will plug and play with our trucks.

The problem is when you look at Chris' Bronco diagram, it tells us that the front and rear channels are connected together like the pickups, but yet it has four speakers. This is obviously an error. Why would you connect your front and rear channels, and have four speakers?

My diagram posted later shows the actual circut path for the speakers fo a bronco.

Aftermarket radios tell you to do that if you only have 2 speakers. When you add rear speakers (like Matt and I did mine) you have to separate the channels to get proper operation. You also need to match the impedance of the fronts.
Correct, and the Bronco Harness does this for you, despite what Chris' diagram says. Or at least the 1982 Bronco harness I got does.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
ctubutis
Originally Posted by siloketh

Speaking of speaker sizes, what size speaker did ford use in tbe center dash speaker mount? Was just slightly curious because I might try and tie that in when I redo my entire sound system with something not as grainy sounding.

HIJACK OVER
I think it's 6x9, I wanna use it for a CB radio.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM
81-F-150-Explorer
Post Fiend
It gets better....

And I compare....

And...

Huh?????

Both front and rear channels are combined inside the radio most likely. It may only have half the power output as a regular radio as well. This would make sense with a external two channel amplifier. Probably why the comon front channel wires are not used. To signify the need for the external amp, with the radio. It doesn't take much power to drive an external amplifier. Think of it as Hooking your TV to your surround sound amplifier.

The stereos in Ford pickups in the '70s only had the front channels. Those were designed specifically for a two speaker system though.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM
siloketh
Senior User
I think it's 6x9, I wanna use it for a CB radio.
Funny you should say that Chris. Today my buddy Mikie gave his CB radio out of his old dodge for free he wrecked a year back. Its a Galaxy DX-33HML and I remember it working flawlessly. Now if I can wire it in and use the PA function at traffic lights for those pesky drivers who dont know what green light stands for

Old 07-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Coneynew
Senior User
I don't remember for sure but I think I did! I don't remember how well the rear speakers work as compared to the fronts and I'm suspicious of my speaker wiring. I have 3 of these radios, only one works kinda-sorta OK with both front & rear speakers hooked up but I don't think it's this one.

You have the amplifier? Does it work? What kind of wires does it want hooked to it? I just installed a JBL system in a 1993 Taurus (using 1995 parts) and the number of wires a factory amp has is shocking. I haven't tried to look them up in the wiring diagrams, the drawings for that car's wiring will make your eyes buggy.
Sorry for the late reply. When I get home from work, I post a pic. Don't know if it works since I never was able to use it, but you are welcome to have it for free

I also have (3) of those Digital ford Radios. 1 of them is for a 2 speaker set up and the other 2 are for a 4 speaker set up. the 2 speaker version does not have the "Fader" adj ****.

For those using the center speaker location, I know LMC and a few other places have the dual voice coil speaker that fits this location. They also give you the jumper wires too.

Quick Reply: door speaker size?? 86 f150