Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Senior User

AKFORD4x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Diesel in radiator

So the previous owner had bad injector cups and they were all replaced as well as injectors before I bought the truck. He did not however flush out the radiator before he sold it to me and he DID tell me that he didn't get a chance to flush it yet. The trucks running great, good heater, normal operating temps but the coolant is very dark colored and smells like Diesel fuel. I WILL get to flushing it out in the next few weeks but my question is this: IS it doing anykind of damage to my cooling system or the truck by driving it like this?.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM
New User

roaddogjru is starting off with a positive reputation.
It will not hurt it to drive with a little diesel in the radiator. I know a person that drove thousands of miles with leaking cups and sucked the fuel off the coolant in the puke tank every night.
Run straight water for a month, flush it and put coolant in. You will still have some residual, less that 1/4 inch usually so you may have to suck it off several times before it stops. Put some Water Wetter in.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Think of it as water pump lubricant.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 07-24-2012, 10:07 PM
is a BAAAD MAN

Jmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputationJmatthews has a superb reputation
I ran water through mine for a while and put in a little purple power every now and then and drained the radiator almost every evening after work. It cleaned it out well. then I did a flush and fill on last time like you are supposed to.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:40 AM
Senior User

RPM371 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Diesel will degrade the coolant hoses and degas bottle.
2006 F350 XLT 4x4 Crew Cab, 6.0 Powerstroke, ARP Studs, OEM Head Gaskets, Performance Machine Coolant Filter, Sinister EGR Delete, High Idle Mod, Scangauge II, SCT w/ Matt's 8K Tow Tune, FICM by Ed w/Atlas 40, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Suspension, B&W Turnoverball, Michelin LTX A/T 2 LT245/75R17, Galaxy 939 w/Texas Star amp, SiriusXM XpressRCi, Ouku 7" Flip Down HD Touch Screen/DVD/CD/Nav/Bluetooth/USB/SD/Cam (it plays the radio, too).
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
New User

roaddogjru is starting off with a positive reputation.
The esters in diesel will degrade natural rubber. Modern hoses and seals are all Buna N, Nitrile, Silicone or a combination of these and sometimes contain teflon also. The only oils that will attack these compounds are jet oils per MIL-PRF-26399 or PRI-QPL-AS5780. These oils will eat the soles off your shoes but are not used in diesel applications.
The puke tank composition will not be effected by engine oil but it will discolor it which makes it look like it is going bad.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 AM