1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wiring Help Needed - Bought truck & removed Viper Alarm, no Turns, Hazards, or Brakelights...

Old 05-23-2012, 11:08 AM
freerider15
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Wiring Help Needed - Bought truck & removed Viper Alarm, no Turns, Hazards, or Brakelights...

I've been lurking around for a bit, using this sight to give me a bit of insight before buying a truck...great info to be read here.

So long story short...bought a truck (99.5' F-350, 7.3L, ZF-6, 4x4, 120k on the clock), but being so worried about looking over everything else...I didn't realize until after I bought it from the dealer a few things were wrong. I knew the turn signals weren't working but figured that was an easy fix, but come to also find out later none of the rear brake lights (except the upper middle cab light) or hazards work. When you move the multi-function switch up or down to signal the flashers, nothing happens...no clicking sounds, no blinking dash lights...nothing.

So the previous owner had a Viper Alarm system (the 350plus model) installed, and upon further looking (removed the lower driver's dash panel), it seems parts were no longer hooked up or spliced in anymore (which also explained what I believe to be a battery draw). Looked at a wiring diagram for the Viper system, but that really didn't help all that much since I didn't have a cross reference to where that corresponding wire & wire color was on the F-350.

When you would hit the unlock or lock button on the remote, the rear brake lights as well as turn signals would flash, but the doors wouldn't unlock/lock. I went ahead and removed the system yesterday as well as I could, but still no turns, hazards, or brake lights.

I've attached a picture of some wiring that was cut, in hopes that some might recognize it.

So the wires are (in case its hard to tell from the photo) Light Green, Blue, White & Red. They feed up into a connector thats to the upper right-ish of the "gas"-pedal. The connector has a tag on it that reads (you can somewhat read it in the picture) that says "Connect To Instrument Panel." As well there is a brown wire you can somewhat makeout in the picture that is spliced into a light blue/yellow wire i'm trying to trace.

Normally I would look through a wiring diagram to try and figure out where isn't getting power, buuuuuut I don't have any. I looked at buying a factory service manual on ebay...but I'm kind of worried their essentially just going to send me the equivalent of a Haynes manual which won't do me a *whole* lot of good...or at least ones in the past haven't.

As well...should I supect the multi-function switch (since they're prone to going out on my year), flasher relay, etc?

Really trying/wanting to get this solved so I can actually drive my truck and enjoy it...because unfortunately until this gets resolved it gets to sit in the driveway.

So any thoughts, expertise, etc. on how to go about or helping to solve my dilemma?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Check the fuses under the hood as well. THere are many there that are relay/fuse types and those can go too and they also control the turn and brake function of your lights.
If you have a manual it will map them out for you.

Beyond that.... hopefully someone on here will have more detailed info to the cut wires.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Crewcab Turbo
Fleet Mechanic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe those are the trailer brake controller wires if I remember correctly. The truck has a built in trailer brake wire harness. It's set up to use a plug in trailer brake controller, no splicing of wires needed. Mine has a plug on the end and it plugs directly into the brake controller.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
I believe those are the trailer brake controller wires if I remember correctly. The truck has a built in trailer brake wire harness. It's set up to use a plug in trailer brake controller, no splicing of wires needed. Mine has a plug on the end and it plugs directly into the brake controller.
Those also control the turn and brake without a trailer. I have blown a couple of the mini fuses in the past where I have lost parking and turn. Two different fuses but once under the hood and once under the dash. Finally found the issue so haven't had a prob since.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:40 PM
freerider15
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
Check the fuses under the hood as well. THere are many there that are relay/fuse types and those can go too and they also control the turn and brake function of your lights.
If you have a manual it will map them out for you.

Beyond that.... hopefully someone on here will have more detailed info to the cut wires.
I looked at any and all fuses I could find (under the dash & hood) related to turn signals (didn't see any for rear tail lamps)...and none were blown that I found.

Originally Posted by Crewcab Turbo
So i'm essentially missing the plug...

Originally Posted by BillyBob69
Those also control the turn and brake without a trailer. I have blown a couple of the mini fuses in the past where I have lost parking and turn. Two different fuses but once under the hood and once under the dash. Finally found the issue so haven't had a prob since.
So the plug, if not plugged into anything...shouldn't be the source of any function? I.E...whether or not the wires have a plug on them or whether they're just dangling shouldn't make a difference...

Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freerider15
Normally I would look through a wiring diagram to try and figure out where isn't getting power, buuuuuut I don't have any.
Here are the Stop-Turn-Hazard pages from my '99 wiring diagram, they should help get you started:

Chris

Old 05-23-2012, 05:11 PM
freerider15
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by landmobile
Here are the Stop-Turn-Hazard pages from my '99 wiring diagram, they should help get you started:

Chris
Thanks for those, that should help get me somewhat started.

If you don't mind me asking...how did you get your hands on an actual FSM?

AS well could I ask nicely for page 149-6 so I can test my multi-function switch

***Oh and 13-9 & 13-11 (Jumction Box Fuse/Relay Panel)

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM
landmobile
Senior User
Originally Posted by freerider15
Thanks for those, that should help get me somewhat started.

If you don't mind me asking...how did you get your hands on an actual FSM?

AS well could I ask nicely for page 149-6 so I can test my multi-function switch

***Oh and 13-9 & 13-11 (Jumction Box Fuse/Relay Panel)
Here are the other pages, I bought the FSM on ebay.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM
2000ca250
Posting Guru
Wow a wiring issue and Ken hasnt gotten a diagram in here? Must be a busy day at work!!!

Sounds to me like the connectors that were used to splice in the Viper have interrupted the connection of the factory wires once you removed the Viper. Check where the wires were spliced in and see if any wires are cut or broken.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 AM
freerider15
Cross-Country
landmobile...thanks again for getting me diagrams!

Originally Posted by 2000ca250
Wow a wiring issue and Ken hasnt gotten a diagram in here? Must be a busy day at work!!!

Sounds to me like the connectors that were used to splice in the Viper have interrupted the connection of the factory wires once you removed the Viper. Check where the wires were spliced in and see if any wires are cut or broken.
That was my exact initial plan, but i'm not finding anything other than the trailer brake wiring thats cut/tampered far enough that it would cause any problems. What would be really nice (what I'm sure the techs who install this have is a list giving color of viper wire to match color of F-350 wire with general location.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Hello,
I came across your thread looking for something and was wondering if you found the problem.

If you have great. If not I might be able to help you. Let me know. Brice