Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Elder User

davbeisner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Truck drained on oil while running... What to check?

So I had my oil changed at the dealer last week and just backed in, and discovered my oil plug in the middle of the street and all 17 quarts of oil all over the road. I got the engine shut off before it finished draining or siezed, and the dealer is on the way with a wrecker to take it back and fix it. What specific things should I have them check for in the way of possible engine damage?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Elder User

davidkstyler has a good reputation on FTE.davidkstyler has a good reputation on FTE.
Oil pressure for a start, then you might have the next fill of oil tested after a few thousand miles for metals. Blackstone Labs is one of the popular test sites.
Blackstone Labs
That should tell you if there was any damage done.
2005 F250 6.0 PSD XL 2WD LB, Fumoto valve, HFCM Drain Mod, Edge Insight, Edge Exhaust Pyrometer, GlowShift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Blue Spring, BulletProof EGR, Cat ELC, Homemade Coolant Filter, Ravelco, Red Head Steering Gear, MOOG Ball Joints, Bestop Bumper Step, Amp Research Bed XTender, Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover, 140 Amp O'Reilly Alternator
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Posting Guru

wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.wulfman has a great reputation on FTE.
First thing is the truck had to shut down before it was empty , because no oil no fireing of the injectors . Once it got low enough it will shut down but not be dry . Meaning you can not burn these motors up like you can a gasser . Fill it up and go , and do the oil changes yourself that way you know it is done right.
2003, 250 XLT cc 4x4 sb 6.0 mods,scan gauge2, coolant filter, the blue spring,and hypertect max energy on stage 1 only,high idle mod,stock down pipe 4inch straight pipe ,no kitty ,welded egr cooler, new oil cooler and that bad **** 03 turbo whistle free mod DAVID
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
This has got to be a joke right?!?

I would expect free oil changes for life of the vehicle.
2006 Ford F350 6-Speed, Aluminum Flat bed, Regular Cab, Blue spring,SRL SCT Tuned, 4 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust, Scan Gauge II, 03 Turbo, EGR delete, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ARP Head-Studs, 2In leveled on 35 in TOYO M/T w/pro comp wheels -12mm offset
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Senior User

greentree ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.greentree ford is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfman View Post
First thing is the truck had to shut down before it was empty , because no oil no fireing of the injectors . Once it got low enough it will shut down but not be dry . Meaning you can not burn these motors up like you can a gasser . Fill it up and go , and do the oil changes yourself that way you know it is done right.
I agreed ^^^^ I would ask for my money back
Old 07-23-2012, 06:04 PM
Senior User

phantomphixer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Big time apology from the dealer, free hat, oil changed while you watch.

"MOLON LABE"
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Elder User

berick is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Yikes! Another reason to add a Fumoto valve and change your own oil. That sucks man, I hope that dealer looks after you and gives you some kind of mileage warranty or service discount for your pickup.
'05' F350 Harley Crewcab, FS-2500 Oil Filtration System, AFE Cold Air Intake, MBRP Dual 4" Exhaust, Herd Front Bumper, Dual 10" Liteforce "Blitz" Lights, Espar Diesel Pre-Heater, Smoked Recon Led Lights, Blue-spring Upgrade, HFCM Upgraded Plug, Diamondback Rear Deck, Bilstein Leveling Kit, Bilstein Dual Stabilizer Kit, Edge Insight CTS, Strictly Diesel Fuel Pressure Adapter, Icon Adj. Pan Rod, Harpooned, Britebox, Fumoto Valves - Block, Compu-Star Remote Starter with Alarm, CCV Reroute, SCT with Matts Custom Tunes, Riff Raff Cac Boots & Aluminum Cac Tube, DC Power 270XP,
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Elder User

Dealer paid for a 75 mile tow to get it back into their dealership, refilled the oil, checked it out and said it looked good, and also gave me a couple other parts (including installation) that I had been wanting... Offered to pay cleaning bills to have my driveway cleaned from the oil, and offered anything else I wanted.

Unfortunately I'm moving 2000 miles across the country in 9 days, so getting a lifetime service deal or warranty from them is kinda pointless.

Overall I was really pleased with their service and their willingness to make it right. They also topped off my tank (about half a tank) of diesel to pay for my drive home. The initial oil change was free cause it was part of their regular service before they sold me the truck (I actually bought it off the lot before they had a chance to service it, so I had to take it back two days after I bought it for the service, which is when this happened). So thankfully nothing lost except a few hours of my time this afternoon!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Postmaster

2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.2006powerstroke90 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbeisner View Post
Dealer paid for a 75 mile tow to get it back into their dealership, refilled the oil, checked it out and said it looked good, and also gave me a couple other parts (including installation) that I had been wanting... Offered to pay cleaning bills to have my driveway cleaned from the oil, and offered anything else I wanted.

Unfortunately I'm moving 2000 miles across the country in 9 days, so getting a lifetime service deal or warranty from them is kinda pointless.

Overall I was really pleased with their service and their willingness to make it right. They also topped off my tank (about half a tank) of diesel to pay for my drive home. The initial oil change was free cause it was part of their regular service before they sold me the truck (I actually bought it off the lot before they had a chance to service it, so I had to take it back two days after I bought it for the service, which is when this happened). So thankfully nothing lost except a few hours of my time this afternoon!
It seems like you handled this situation very well, in return the dealer took care of you too.

I'm sure that's all you lost a few hours.

May I ask why drive 75 miles to have the truck serviced?

Imagine the look on the techs face that changed your oil...
2006 Ford F350 6-Speed, Aluminum Flat bed, Regular Cab, Blue spring,SRL SCT Tuned, 4 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust, Scan Gauge II, 03 Turbo, EGR delete, 6.4 Banjo Bolts, ARP Head-Studs, 2In leveled on 35 in TOYO M/T w/pro comp wheels -12mm offset
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Elder User

bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.bigb56 has a good reputation on FTE.
At least they owned up to it. I had a tire store forget to tighten my lug nuts once on a 1969 Cutlass, when I came back a few minutes later the mechanic insisted he tightened them and suggested that someone must have loosened them, they were just started on the studs.

02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 148K, 285's, AIS, Isspro
pyro, boost & tranny temp, EV2 FP & HPOP, DiPricol coolant temp,Dieselsite coolant & tranny filters, 6.0 cooler, ITP in tank mod, AE, GPR LED & Stancor, Bellowed UpPipes, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006powerstroke90 View Post
May I ask why drive 75 miles to have the truck serviced?
Normally I do my own oil service...but I just bought this truck two weeks ago and it was the dealer where I bought it. Did it for free as part of their normal service on a truck before they sell it. I'll be doing my own service again in the future, for sure!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
Quote:
Offered to pay cleaning bills to have my driveway cleaned from the oil, and offered anything else I wanted.

Overall I was really pleased with their service and their willingness to make it right.
Have you ever had an environmental clean up bill? They will bend over backwards to offer you anything you need. They do not want you to report them to the EPA!!!!!!!!!!!

This day and age, they do not want any outside folks involved. The bill is enormous, not only that, but it will go on their business record as having an environmental issue.

I'm not telling you to use this against them at all. Just saying there are folks who would have called the authorities on this situation.

How do I know this? Don't break open your radiator where there might be a concerned environmentalist around, I did.

Vote for my truckhttp://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pow...test-poll.html"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Elder User

Oh trust me, I know all about enviro cleanup and EPA crap! I'm certified in HazMat and developed a 400 page EPA requirements document for a college I used to work for!

I just called my local fire department (which I used to work for) and we used a combination of oil dry and sand from the street department to soak it up. Enviro issue avoided!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm hitting easy street

amdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant futureamdriven2liv has a brilliant future
Quote:
Oh trust me, I know all about enviro cleanup and EPA crap! I'm certified in HazMat and developed a 400 page EPA requirements document for a college I used to work for!

I just called my local fire department (which I used to work for) and we used a combination of oil dry and sand from the street department to soak it up. Enviro issue avoided!
Well, that is good. I'm sure the fire department will post this event where they need too.

Vote for my truckhttp://www.powerstroke.org/forum/pow...test-poll.html"Drive it like you know how to fix it!"
Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Elder User

davidkstyler has a good reputation on FTE.davidkstyler has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Normally I do my own oil service...but I just bought this truck two weeks ago and it was the dealer where I bought it. Did it for free as part of their normal service on a truck before they sell it. I'll be doing my own service again in the future, for sure!
Even more reason to pull an oil sample. Checking for excessive fuel, coolant or metals would let you know if you got a "winner" or if you need to start planning for some TLC.

Preventative maintenance is always cheaper than failure maintenance!
2005 F250 6.0 PSD XL 2WD LB, Fumoto valve, HFCM Drain Mod, Edge Insight, Edge Exhaust Pyrometer, GlowShift Fuel Pressure Gauge, Blue Spring, BulletProof EGR, Cat ELC, Homemade Coolant Filter, Ravelco, Red Head Steering Gear, MOOG Ball Joints, Bestop Bumper Step, Amp Research Bed XTender, Roll-N-Lock Tonneau Cover, 140 Amp O'Reilly Alternator
Old 07-24-2012, 10:58 AM