Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Look out ford, gm, and dodge, international is entering the HD sector!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 08:29 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rush117
One of the points of the OP was that those of us driving F350's would jump to a medium duty truck if the price was similar. That is why I was looking at pricing for the F350, not because it was a good comparison of performance.

Even the price between a f350 and terrastar isn't huge.... with the 5th wheel campers and toy haulers today, I can see guys jumping in.

Fords are tough, but I think the terrastar is designed to do the job day in and day out.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Even the price between a f350 and terrastar isn't huge.... with the 5th wheel campers and toy haulers today, I can see guys jumping in.

Fords are tough, but I think the terrastar is designed to do the job day in and day out.
I agree. You will see 5th wheels being towed behind these. Are they for the retired couple? No. But go out to OHV areas where young guys with money have toys and I will bet you will see some.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:59 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
Are they for the retired couple? No.
Actually, I'd have to "tentatively" disagree.

With a huge windshield, huge mirrors, and optional air ride seats, ride comfort "should" be at an all time high, and visibility is also important.

These things ride really tight, and they're wider, so pulling a trailer should feel a lot more comfortable.

I'll admit I haven't pulled with one, but just wanted to share those points.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by parkland
Actually, I'd have to "tentatively" disagree.

With a huge windshield, huge mirrors, and optional air ride seats, ride comfort "should" be at an all time high, and visibility is also important.

These things ride really tight, and they're wider, so pulling a trailer should feel a lot more comfortable.

I'll admit I haven't pulled with one, but just wanted to share those points.
I see your counter argument, and raise you a rebuttle.

The suspensions will be pretty stiff. International calls them a "heavy duty truck, not a pick up with heavy springs to get it by."

I dont see them being very comfortable. I have driven F650s and other medium duty trucks and even with air ride seats, they arent super comfortable. They are designed to get a worker around for a day. Dont count on plush features like nice carpet and leather. Vinyl will be king in this truck because its designed to be more rugged than comfortable.

I'm not saying they COULDNT be plush, but I really dont think thats the market they are targeting. They are building a medium duty truck not an SUV. And until the last 10-15 years even heavy duty pick ups didnt have super plush features. Thats a recent development and I dont think International is trying to make a plush vehicle by any means.

I'm not even sure if you can get a Lariat F550. Well, I guess you probably could, it just doenst happen a whole lot.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I see your counter argument, and raise you a rebuttle.

The suspensions will be pretty stiff. International calls them a "heavy duty truck, not a pick up with heavy springs to get it by."

I dont see them being very comfortable. I have driven F650s and other medium duty trucks and even with air ride seats, they arent super comfortable. They are designed to get a worker around for a day. Dont count on plush features like nice carpet and leather. Vinyl will be king in this truck because its designed to be more rugged than comfortable.

I'm not saying they COULDNT be plush, but I really dont think thats the market they are targeting. They are building a medium duty truck not an SUV. And until the last 10-15 years even heavy duty pick ups didnt have super plush features. Thats a recent development and I dont think International is trying to make a plush vehicle by any means.

I'm not even sure if you can get a Lariat F550. Well, I guess you probably could, it just doenst happen a whole lot.
Touche, rebuttal accepted.

However, I think there are multiple issues at play here.
For example, I think the terrastar with air seats, would probably keep your back at ease better when hitting a pothole. The F series might ride smoother over regular road surfaces though.

The F series definately has the cup holders, dual climate control, make up mirrors, child seat anchors, plush fabric, and styling to make you feel like it's a rugged vehicle, and worth a lot of money.

The terrastar is rather bland really, it is simply a work truck closer to the pickup truck size and cost. The frame is massive, the shocks are huge, everything is thicker and bigger.
If a guy put an air ride suspension in, and the air ride seats, I'd think that would be pretty smooth, even with the bulky truck and trailer attached.
But I agree, I doubt they're going after the plush customers, right now, anyways. I'm sure if they sell enough, it would come.

IMHO, if they really wanted to sell lots, they should have found a way to jam the maxxforce DT 7.6 I6 in there, and offer a 6 sp manual tranny and exhaust brake.
Even though the 6.4 now used has not much in common with fords variant, the bad image remains.

I'm still attentive though, they have the allison with RDS option or something, and the 6.4 seems to be going strong, and about to get urea very soon.
Mileage should pick way up.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Rush117
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are they for the retired couple? No.
I somewhat disagree as well. There are a lot of retired folks driving around a Class A diesel pusher rv. I think we may start to see more medium duty trucks pulling large fifth wheels around. But they won't look like this one:

2013 International TerraStar for sale in Austin, Texas - Commercial Truck Trader

They'll look more like these:

AVM- Luxury Automotive Conversions, International Truck TerraStar, Terrastar Limited, TerraStar SUV, International Truck Terrastar Hauler, ITE TerraStar, ITE TerraStar SUV.

Folks that are spending $250,000 on a nice rv are not going to tour the country in a work truck. They'll buy their $110,000 fifth wheel and $100,000 truck to pull it. Of course, the thing that will keep many people from going this route will be the lack of ability to tow a car for when they get wherever it is they're going.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Rush117
I somewhat disagree as well. There are a lot of retired folks driving around a Class A diesel pusher rv. I think we may start to see more medium duty trucks pulling large fifth wheels around. But they won't look like this one:

2013 International TerraStar for sale in Austin, Texas - Commercial Truck Trader

They'll look more like these:

AVM- Luxury Automotive Conversions, International Truck TerraStar, Terrastar Limited, TerraStar SUV, International Truck Terrastar Hauler, ITE TerraStar, ITE TerraStar SUV.

Folks that are spending $250,000 on a nice rv are not going to tour the country in a work truck. They'll buy their $110,000 fifth wheel and $100,000 truck to pull it. Of course, the thing that will keep many people from going this route will be the lack of ability to tow a car for when they get wherever it is they're going.

With the terrastar's size and towing ability, huge 5th wheels should pull nice, and it might be small enough to be the car once arrived.... just a thought.

And those are cool pictures of the souped up terrastar.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:46 PM
LSchicago2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kd0axs
You aren't really comparing apples to apples there. The TerraStar isn't the equivalent of an F-350 pickup, it's the equivalent of an F-550 cab-chassis. If you look at the two examples I posted earlier, the price difference is less than $1200.
And my 2011 F550 chassis cost me $29K New, with about $7K in options. A far cry from paying $44K for an inferior truck.......

Old 07-28-2012, 11:35 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LSchicago2
And my 2011 F550 chassis cost me $29K New, with about $7K in options. A far cry from paying $44K for an inferior truck.......
Yes, but most of that price difference is because you have the V-10 rather than a diesel. The cheapest diesel F-550 I can find comes in just shy of $40K.

2012 Ford Super Duty F-550 DRW for sale in Cleveland, Ohio - Commercial Truck Trader

Speaking of which, Ford is now the only choice if you want a gas engine in a class 4/5 truck. Dodge only offers the Cummins in their 4500/5500, and GM is no longer making anything bigger than the 3500. Obviously, International isn't offering a gas engine either.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:38 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by kd0axs
Yes, but most of that price difference is because you have the V-10 rather than a diesel. The cheapest diesel F-550 I can find comes in just shy of $40K.
I dont think he's upset about that haha

Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont think he's upset about that haha
Nope,I know he isn't.

That's actually where Ford has an advantage. They still realize that not everyone who needs to tow or haul something wants a diesel engine, especially when it adds nearly 10 grand to the price of the truck.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LSchicago2

Well.... inferior is a bit strong, especially considering your unit would be on the light side of the argument....
You go test drive a terrastar and check out what kind of unit it really is.... I love fords, but this thing is definitely a par above in terms of heavy duty use.
International's version of the 6.4 is a ton different than most guys realize, different block, different fuel system, pretty much completely different except for displacement.
I know you like your gas trucks, and I know, and understand why, so let's not even get that situation burning , haha.

Internationals 6.4 has been installed in lots of RV chassis also, one of which weighs in a 30,000 lbs, and makes the 15 MPG highway that was required to make the deal happen. So don't laugh so soon, a gas engine would not be able to deliver that.

While I think the idea of the terrastar is cool, I realise you might not like it, other people might not like it, thats fine. It is different, while they are trying to get close to big 3 HD models, they are offering a plain jane truck, at the same cost. You have to realise though, these units are pretty damn stout. Certainly stronger than a 550 or dodge 5500. That is my opinion anyways

Old 07-29-2012, 07:17 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Moved to the Ford vs the Competition forum.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:14 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You go test drive a terrastar and check out what kind of unit it really is.... I love fords, but this thing is definitely a par above in terms of heavy duty use.
The Terrastar is like a an F-650 body on an F-550 chassis.(kind of like GMs big bulbous fugly C4500, but at least it had a higher GVWR) I don't see the reason to put such a big body on a smaller chassis. The F-550 is proportioned much nicer IMO. Want a larger cab and a heavier duty truck than the F-550, buy an F-650. The F-650 has both gas and diesel options and will make a great tow rig.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by dkf
The Terrastar is like a an F-650 body on an F-550 chassis.(kind of like GMs big bulbous fugly C4500) I don't see the reason to put such a big body on a smaller chassis. The F-550 is proportioned much nicer IMO. Want a larger cab and a heavier duty truck than the F-550, buy an F-650. The F-650 has both gas and diesel options and will make a great tow rig.
The F650 may have the V10 option, but from what I hear it is pretty out of place in the F650 and has very limited uses. I kind of think of it as the 5.4 in the superdutys. It is a great motor, and will get the job done, but there is another option that is better suited for the truck. The V10 should stick to (and be made available again) in F250-F550s IMO.

As for the larger cab on the small chassis, there is no reason not to, plus I'm sure it shares most if not all of the parts from the larger trucks, making the up front cost of making a new line of truck much more cost effective.

Quick Reply: Look out ford, gm, and dodge, international is entering the HD sector!!!!