1978 F100, no electrical, completely dead, won't start - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
 

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter
Log In 


Ohio Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: RUNVS

1978 F100, no electrical, completely dead, won't start

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 AM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
1978 F100, no electrical, completely dead, won't start

Hello,

I live in Cincinnati, and my 1978 F100 won't start. I thought that I'd post a message here hoping that maybe somebody local would be able to offer some repair advice.

My truck was working fine, I didn't drive it for a few weeks over the winter, and it just went completely dead: won't start, no interior lights/no headlights, won't crank, nothing. Based on the advice of some family/friends, I've tried several things: new battery, new battery cables, new starter, new solenoid, and new voltage regulator.

One of the posters on the 1973-1979 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum instructed me on how to run a jumper wire from the solenoid to the battery. My truck will crank when a jumper wire is used.

Looking back, I should have had a more organized plan of attack instead of just randomly replacing parts, but I'm not a good mechanic, and I thought this approach might work.

Anyway, I posted a thread over on the 1973-1979 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum which is still active.


http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ont-start.html



Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-12-2016, 07:43 PM
TonyS. TonyS. is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
TonyS. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrink View Post
Hello,

I live in Cincinnati, and my 1978 F100 won't start. I thought that I'd post a message here hoping that maybe somebody local would be able to offer some repair advice.

My truck was working fine, I didn't drive it for a few weeks over the winter, and it just went completely dead: won't start, no interior lights/no headlights, won't crank, nothing. Based on the advice of some family/friends, I've tried several things: new battery, new battery cables, new starter, new solenoid, and new voltage regulator.

One of the posters on the 1973-1979 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum instructed me on how to run a jumper wire from the solenoid to the battery. My truck will crank when a jumper wire is used.

Looking back, I should have had a more organized plan of attack instead of just randomly replacing parts, but I'm not a good mechanic, and I thought this approach might work.

Anyway, I posted a thread over on the 1973-1979 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks forum which is still active.


http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...ont-start.html



Thanks for any assistance you can provide.
Did you ever figure out the problem?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2016, 08:44 AM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes, I was finally able to get the truck running again.

I had to have my uncle, who lives an hour away in Dayton, decipher the wiring diagram for me. I talked with him when I was in town in Dayton for a family event. He is an excellent auto mechanic. I did not understand the wiring diagram.

One of the wires running to the solenoid?, I think it was, got disconnected somehow, that wire's connector fell off somehow which just left a bare wire dangling unconnected to anything, and I did not know where to reconnect the wire. I did not want to randomly start reconnecting the wire for fear of damaging anything.

Anyway, the truck is running fine now, and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for everyones help.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 AM
TonyS. TonyS. is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
TonyS. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrink View Post
Yes, I was finally able to get the truck running again.

I had to have my uncle, who lives an hour away in Dayton, decipher the wiring diagram for me. I talked with him when I was in town in Dayton for a family event. He is an excellent auto mechanic. I did not understand the wiring diagram.

One of the wires running to the solenoid?, I think it was, got disconnected somehow, and I did not know where to reconnect the wire. I did not want to randomly start reconnecting the wire for fear of damaging anything.

Anyway, the truck is running fine now, and everything is back to normal.

Thanks for everyones help.
I'm having the same exact problem. Could you show me how the wires hook up with a picture
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 AM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS. View Post
I'm having the same exact problem. Could you show me how the wires hook up with a picture
Yes, I will post a picture shortly.

This was a very frustrating experience for me, I have no idea why or how that wire's connector just fell off and disconected the wire and prevented the truck from starting.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2016, 09:05 AM
TonyS. TonyS. is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
TonyS. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrink View Post
Yes, I will post a picture shortly.

This was a very frustrating experience for me, I have no idea why or how that wire's connector just fell off and disconected the wire and prevented the truck from starting.
I'm going through the same experience. I've replaced everything but the wiring from the alternator to the voltage regulator. Very frustrating bc like you I have no idea when it comes to electrical.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 AM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am sorry that I did not get back to you sooner.

2 pictures:


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2016, 11:36 AM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
6 wires and cables:


1-3: Side of solenoid closest to battery: positive battery cable, yellow and black wire, and the black wire which is the fusible link.

4. Other side of solenoid: cable running to the starter.

5-6. red and tan/brown wires running to solenoid.


The yellow and black wire is what became disconnected and caused all my problems.


Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 AM
TonyS. TonyS. is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
TonyS. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrink View Post
6 wires and cables:


1-3: Side of solenoid closest to battery, positive battery cable, yellow and black wire, and the black wire which is the fusible link.

4. Other side of solenoid, cable running to the starter.

5-6. red and tan/brown wires running to solenoid.


The yellow and black wire is what became disconnected and caused all my problems.


Hope this helps.
What does the yellow and black wire connect to be I think that's exactly my problem too? Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 AM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
The yellow and black wire, along with a bunch of other wires in a bundle, runs into the truck cab through the fire wall.

That yellow and black wire must control a bunch of stuff, because when that wire was disconnected, nothing worked at all, the entire truck was disabled by that one black and yellow wire.

I will post more pictures in a minute.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-13-2016, 12:04 PM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
In the second photo, my index finger points to the wiring bundle entering the fire wall.


Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2016, 12:06 PM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 PM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-13-2016, 12:09 PM
TonyS. TonyS. is offline
New User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 11
TonyS. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbrink View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
So it connects to the positive side on the starter relay?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM
sjbrink sjbrink is offline
Freshman User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 43
sjbrink is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do not know what the starter relay is, but the yellow and black wire connects, along with the positive battery cable and the fusible link, to the side of the solenoid that is closest to the battery. I am guessing that side of the solenoid is what is called the positive side of the starter relay.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need suggestions- 1973 F600 power steering bigdog221 Large Truck 2 10-01-2014 01:10 PM
1973 F600 Dump- Power Steering question bigdog221 Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 0 09-24-2014 12:25 PM
Help me pick a truck... Power of 8 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 21 06-12-2014 02:31 PM
Help me pick a Truck... Power of 8 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 06-11-2014 10:29 AM
1994 7.3 IDI Non Turbo Won't start jblueep Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 53 02-16-2014 07:05 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-West Region > Ohio Chapter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

 

Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup