Negative reputation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Awitte58
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive never used it, nor been repped negatively that I recall... or just havent noticed it in my user cp.

ANYWAY, maybe it should be an option to those who are 'SUPPORTER's of the site, because with my experience those who are wililng to pay and support the site arent the ****** who just come on and negative rep over some story or someone's opinion differing from their own.
I like to think they would actually use it when it applies... like if somebody is repeatedly posting up false/wrong information and ignoring when people are trying to help and correct it.

Just my .02... I didnt even know you could disapprove.. I just click the heart and put up something like "good info!" and let it go. lol

Old 07-24-2012, 02:32 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Awitte58
Ive never used it, nor been repped negatively that I recall... or just havent noticed it in my user cp.

ANYWAY, maybe it should be an option to those who are 'SUPPORTER's of the site, because with my experience those who are wililng to pay and support the site arent the ****** who just come on and negative rep over some story or someone's opinion differing from their own.
I like to think they would actually use it when it applies... like if somebody is repeatedly posting up false/wrong information and ignoring when people are trying to help and correct it.

Just my .02... I didnt even know you could disapprove.. I just click the heart and put up something like "good info!" and let it go. lol
Nope, that doesn't work either. The jerk that gave me bad rep because he didn't agree with my opinion WAS a supporter!

Old 07-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigF350
Based on feedback, the moderation team have elected to remove the "I disapprove" option on posts (or as it may also be known... to leave "negative reputation").
This will go into action in approximately 1 weeks time.

The ability to utilize the "I approve" function on posts (or to leave positive reputation to other users) will remain as it is today.

For users who have previously received negative reputation (displayed as a red box in your User CP), sadly there is no simple way for us to remove those from the record, and thus they will still be listed in your total reputation count.
You can edit Rep from the Admin CP in VB from the users profile (its down on the lower right above PM permissions IIRC). Its just a number add 15 per offense for the most part. Press enter to save and its done.Yet, I agree not wasting the time to edit negative rep off a user that most likely earned it to begin with. Personally I ignore a users rep seeing it means nothing in the long run when you need advice.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,118 Likes on 2,648 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Well I guess I'll have to continue to slam them in public and get sent to the woodshed if I ruffle a Special Person.
Dick, I thought you were a special person

Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Dick, I thought you were a special person
Dick has always been "special"!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
You can edit Rep from the Admin CP in VB from the users profile (its down on the lower right above PM permissions IIRC). Its just a number add 15 per offense for the most part. Press enter to save and its done.Yet, I agree not wasting the time to edit negative rep off a user that most likely earned it to begin with. Personally I ignore a users rep seeing it means nothing in the long run when you need advice.
It can be done - likewise we could do a DB query.

The first is way too much work for a site of this size, the later has potential hazardous implications

Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigF350
It can be done - likewise we could do a DB query.

The first is way too much work for a site of this size, the later has potential hazardous implications
Agreed, as I said above... Keep up the good work.

" An individual is intelligent, People are stupid." You said it all with the comment, "site of this size". People hate change... Hope it all goes smooth for you and the team. Also hope my comment about it can be done, does not make issues for you. That was not my intent and I should have put more thought into it before I opened my mouth.

My VB data base was only 15K members. It was much easier to make changes. I don't know if I would have announced this change myself. It mostly only riles up the riff raff that want what they earned, removed. As far as I see it... this change makes no impact on the site other then smoothing member relations. I agree with the move.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:10 AM
finitetime
Senior User
What!!! We have reps? I only been here a few years but I have never heard of this. How do you check peoples reps?

I personally would put much stock in reps anyways. Why cause if you asking advice you have to remember 2 things.

1.) Everyone is right sometimes.

2.) Nobody is right all the time.

That's why you should read everything, get several opinions and use your own judgement that way if the opinion you decide to listen to turns out to be wrong then its your fault cause you had other choices.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The "FAQ" link has that answer

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - FAQ: User Profile Features

The only part of that explanation that is incorrect is the part about the ability to disable the display of our reputation points. We don't have that at this time.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 AM
finitetime
Senior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
The "FAQ" link has that answer
Oh That's what that those green dots are.

Guess I learned something new today.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Since so many of your are WITH the idea of getting rid of the negative reps, maybe I should give everyone on this thread a negative rep just so we can remember that we had them.

Just kidding hahaha.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wouldn't matter. They go away after a while anyway.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
surprised that so many people feel so strongly about them.

I've gotten a few I deserved. I don't return the favor for those. But then, I've gotten a ton of negatives over the years because I pissed in someones wheaties about some stupid vitrol they were spouting. It's funny to read the neg comments when all I wanted was some proof behind their concept.

ie: Brown Water...aka...Hydrogen Generation...aka...Perpetual motion fuel. Man I have gotten quite a few negatives from that idiocy

The negatives I didn't earn **** me off. If I'm being a jack***, just tell me. But please don't go behind my back like a little school girl . I'd like to see the reps posted for everyone to see personally.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kw5413
Wouldn't matter. They go away after a while anyway.
If you play the "reps game" like I've seen some do... (100 posts, joined last month and their reps are maxxed out)... then yeah...

Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have never played the rep game. In fact, the rep game is the reason that limitations were put in place a few years ago. Some folks in the old Northwest Chapter got a tad overzealous with it.

In any case, about 15 rep hits and the 16th drops off the list.