6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

tires recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
lundman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tires recommendations

My Michelin LTX2 tires that came as O.E.M. on my 2011 F-250 Diesel Lariat will need replacing soon and I am wondering what might be a good tire to replace them with. I have heard some members talking about the Nitro Trail Grapplers. I am looking for a tire that will mainly be used for on road applications and good in rain or summer type conditions. (I already have Firestone Winter Force tires on winter rims for the winter, which are a great tire in the snow and ice). So will only need a summer running tire on the 20 inch rims.

Any recommendations:

Naturally I want a tire that has a great traction rating with fair mileage abilities and should look pretty good. It could be an all-terrain type of tire.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
lundman
Senior User
tires

I saw the Nitro trail grapplers and they may be a bit too aggressive for highway driving mainly. Perhaps a more good all-terrain type of aftermarket tire would be better???

Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers.
Not as extreme.
I needed something that will be useful in the woods but I do spend more time on pavement.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:24 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The good ones I have had are Goodyear wrangler silent armor and Bridgestone dueler a/t Revo 2. I had good performance from both, over 55,000 highway miles.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
lundman
Senior User
tires

I had the Good Year Wrangler Silent Armour Pro Grade tires before on the Chev Heavy Duty I had. They were great tires. E rating, 10 ply and I liked them. I actually went through 2 sets of those tires as I had the Chev 2500 for 8 years. They have the Alpine Snowflake on the tread and were great in the snow. However, I am looking for a tire more suitable for highway summer type driving. I already have snow tires ready for the winter and will need summer tires soon. I figure I might have around 45,000 miles on the Mich's.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Just curious...but if you are getting about 45,000 plus miles out of your Michelin LTX2 tires..., then why not just buy another set?

Something you don't like about them?

Might want to look at:

Nitto Dura Grappler
Dura Grappler

Rugged Terrain T/A
Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

Cooper Discoverer A/T3
CooperTiresConsumer - Discoverer A/T3™

---

Good luck with your search...

biz

Old 07-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Str8shooter
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lundman
My Michelin LTX2 tires that came as O.E.M. on my 2011 F-250 Diesel Lariat will need replacing soon and I am wondering what might be a good tire to replace them with. I have heard some members talking about the Nitro Trail Grapplers. I am looking for a tire that will mainly be used for on road applications and good in rain or summer type conditions. (I already have Firestone Winter Force tires on winter rims for the winter, which are a great tire in the snow and ice). So will only need a summer running tire on the 20 inch rims.

Any recommendations:

Naturally I want a tire that has a great traction rating with fair mileage abilities and should look pretty good. It could be an all-terrain type of tire.
Just curious how many miles you have on your Michelins?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,563 Likes on 730 Posts
I got 28,000 out of my Factory OEM Michelins, The second set is about ready for replacement at 40,000. But I had more hiway miles and less towing miles on this set. Heavy towing I figure about 30,000 miles average per set.

The Goodyear Wrangler Silent Amour tires that I had on my 2006 F350 were great winter tires. Good traction in the snow. But they did not hold up to the summer heat when I was towing. I developed bulges in the sidewalls of the two rear tires when the heat hit high 90's. Of course tire dealers said I was overloading truck with my trailer. But it was the same trailer I have been using with the Conti and Toyo tires that I had on before. And they had no problem with the load and I was well within the load rating. Tire dealers then started on the Road Hazard excuse that I must have hit something. Of course, Two tires, on opposite sides of truck, two weeks apart both have the same damage. Right! that is road hazard. I'm afraid I'm a little put off with the goodyear.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM
lundman
Senior User
tires

Painted horse.

I thought Good Year had one of the better tire warranties???? I used to have the pro grade Wrangler Silent Armour on my previous Chev but never towed too much with them. I did tow about 10 g's for 6 hours once just to move the car hauler trailer when I moved. And with a load E rating on the tires, and I think they are Kevlar with a 10 ply rating so towing in heat shouldn't cause those bulges. Sounds like a tire problem and unsafe at that. A defect for sure.

My Mich LTX A2s (O.E.M) have been an okay tire. No real towing and I will need to replace them in about August or September. If I can make them last I may just switch to my winter tire and rims around August and put off purchasing summer like tires until next spring.

Incidentally, I had my new winter rims and winter tires stolen from my trailer last September off property, so I took a loss of over $2,200. Wish I could catch those dirty thieves and get some justice.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 AM
lundman
Senior User
tires

Originally Posted by biz4two
Just curious...but if you are getting about 45,000 plus miles out of your Michelin LTX2 tires..., then why not just buy another set?

Something you don't like about them?

Might want to look at:

Nitto Dura Grappler
Dura Grappler

Rugged Terrain T/A
Rugged Terrain T/A | BFGoodrich Tires

Cooper Discoverer A/T3
CooperTiresConsumer - Discoverer A/T3™

---

Good luck with your search...

biz
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mich LTX A2 have been fine so no real complaints except not so good when the first snow fall sneaks in. I read where some don't like the Michs but these are my first Michs and they are okay. I may just replace with Michs again but I am always on the lookout for something better. And ride, traction, durability, and looks are what I am looking for.

And I have been readings about the 5100 Bilstein shocks some are using on their new F-250s. Are they just for lifted trucks as when I checked the website it seemed to mention lifted trucks only? I am guessing they can just go on the truck without the lift?

The Nitro Trail Grapplers might be okay. Will have to check tires out in person and see their tread, ratings, etc.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by lundman
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I have been readings about the 5100 Bilstein shocks some are using on their new F-250s. Are they just for lifted trucks as when I checked the website it seemed to mention lifted trucks only? I am guessing they can just go on the truck without the lift?
YES...the Bilstein 5100 are for non-lifted trucks too.

Front: Part Number: 24-186018

Rear: Part Number: 24-186025

biz

Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
lundman
Senior User
shocks

Thanks Biz and I am going to definitely check them out and see how much they cost. Regardless, I am going to get them cause I don't really like the Rancho shocks on my truck and reading the posts here there are a lot of people thinking the same thing. I'm going to guess in Canada they are about $600 installed but not sure?