1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Box Ajustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003, 06:26 PM
dan38
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering Box Ajustment

Hi everyone,
I have a 51 f-1, and have redone the steering box.
I wonder if someone out there can give me a explanation as to how you go about setting up the ajustment. I don't have it installed yet. Still have the whole assembly on the bench. What proceedure do I follow???
Thanks to all for any help.
Dan

Old 05-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Steering Box Ajustment

Hi Dan,

Easier to do with the unit installed.

1. Get the front wheels pointed straight ahead
2. Use a bigish screwdriver to keep the adjuster screw from turning and loosen the lock nut.
3. Turn the adjuster screw in (tighten) until you feel some resistance but don't force it. If necessary, back off the lock nut so it doesn't bind as you tighten the adjuster.
4. Back the adjuster off about 1/8 turn.
5. Hold the adjuster screw in place with the screwdriver and tighten the lock nut.
6. Turn the steering wheel back and forth past the center position. You should not feel any binding when you pass center.

If you want to, you can tighten the adjuster screw a little bit after exercising the steering but don't get it so tight that the steering wheel binds at the center point. If you do, you'll just cause undue wear on the sector roller and worm gear.

Old 05-10-2003, 07:56 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Steering Box Ajustment

Just a couple of points in addition to what George told you.

First !!! Set the bearing pre-load. This is accomplished with the paper shims that came with your rebuild kit. You want the shaft to be just snug where the worm rides between the bearings. Add or subtract paper shims and tighten the end cap screws to proper torque until you are just snug.

If you can move the steering wheel up and down - remove a shim and try again. If the wheel gets tight - add a shim. The paper shims range somewhere between .0002 and .0008 if i remember right.

The specs call for 12 inch pounds to move the steering wheel 1/4 turn left and right, but most guys don't have anything to measure less than 12 in lbs. so the above method is acceptable.

The only other thing I'd add to the earlier instructions is to raise the front wheels off the ground while adjusting the sector roller. You'll get a false reading if you leave it on the ground.

Old 05-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
Steering Box Ajustment

I rebuilt a gearbox for another vehicle, and the manual suggested using a fish weighing scale hooked to the steering wheel rim for tension measurements.

But reading between the lines, and from several failed attempts myself, I realized they want the steering box a little "tight" when it's adjusted. That's the reason for inch-pound measurement. And mtflat is right. Do the steering shaft end play first. And I would adjust the shim count till you felt a definite drag on the shaft. You will have to adjust with the "feels right" method since you probably don't have anything to measure with.

Also, only turn the adjustment screw on the outside of the box, with the box in the centered position. I don't know if these old boxes have the variable ratio sector teeth, but it's good policy to center it anyway. You can do this by counting the total number of turns lock-to-lock on the bench, and then divide by half.