Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > New England Region > Vermont Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Vermont Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: wildstang

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 AM
Freshman User

JoshDacres is starting off with a positive reputation.
Camper Removal???

So I started a thread on the sixties specific boards to see what they would say, but I might need some VT ingenuity.

Its an old truck with an old camper, some people call it an RV but I can see the pretty truck underneath that camper. Its bolted right to the frame, which should be the easy part, unbolt right? The next problem is the gas tanks for the truck are integrated and are located inside the camper, so Im thinking I might have to use a temp marine tank or something till I can get a real tank to put in. I was thinking I would just use four jacks and lift each corner and then drive right out from under it. Cut the wiring and figure it out from there once its gone. I have a feeling that its not going to be that easy.

The other problem is that I dont have anywhere to get rid of it. I threw it on craigslist for free if someone wanted the camper, its not in to bad a shape but everyone that wants it doesnt seem to be very helpful with getting it off. I've even had people ask me if itll fit on the back of they're S10 or Ranger, lol.

The transfer station here in Burlington said that they would take it, but they would charge me, and I'd still have to work my butt off to get it off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Heres a couple pictures...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 AM
Postmaster

RV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant futureRV_Tech has a brilliant future
May, that's an Class C motor home, nothing like a slide-in truck camper. Normally you would remove that in pieces. Rental companies did develop a system to reuse the rear box on new models, but I think they have all given up that practice. I have been to the factories and watched em being built, and would not be inclined to just attempt lifting it off. Some of these have a welded partial subframe and for many of them, the box will not tolerate lifting without coming undone at joints, etc.

The plus side is construction on these is not the greatest and it is pretty easy to tear em down and sell the metal siding to a recycler.

My two cents worth,

Steve
2010 F150 super cab, box stock, bed slide, ARE bed cover
Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 AM