Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Alabama Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Alabama Chapter Join Chapter , Leader:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior User

Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Soldier in need of a mentor

Hey everybody. I've been reading up on things that are quirky with the Ex, doing routine maintenance etc. on the truck, but now I feel like its time to do some serious maintenance on it. I bought the truck to be a everyday drive/TT hauler, and my wife and I will be going on a 8 month US tour once the Army finally lets me go. The previous owner, while loving the truck, did not do all the maintenance that people on here do. Hub bearings, tie rod ends, ball joints, u-joints, etc. Now while I feel moderately confident doing things like springs, shocks, tie rod ends, getting into the guts of the axels makes me nervous. There are great posts here with pictures on how to do them, but not having a big shop and having to go to the auto service center here on post makes it more difficult to ask quick questions when a problem arises. Now to my point and question. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to mentor me on these things. Probably would take less than a week, but I'd like someone to hands on help me do needle bearing lube, u joint replacement, ball joint replacement, rear seals replacement, that type of thing. I live in south eastern alabama, so if there is anyone close that would be great, but if not, all of this can wait until we go on our trip and im sure that a week or two stop at someone's shop can be arranged through the wife without too much argue. Id be willing to compensate the person for their time. I know I can take the truck to a shop and they can do it for me, but it doesnt TEACH ME how to do it, and I like to be as self sufficient as possible. More of a teach a man to fish type thing. Is there anyone out there that has done these type things that feels confident on giving me some hands on help? Thanks a ton!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior User

TheDudeAbides is starting off with a positive reputation.
i'm also stationed at Rucker. I've done several lifts, suspension mods, and all kinds of steering maintenance. If you have a chiltons or haynes manual, it'll show you the bulk of what you need brother. On the other hand, I also understand there is plenty that it doesn't show you too. Feel free to give me a call sometime and we can set something up on the weekend? Blake 512-630-1768
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Elder User

oldkountryboy has a good reputation on FTE.oldkountryboy has a good reputation on FTE.oldkountryboy has a good reputation on FTE.
same here i live in enterprise, if you need help on some of it let me know

if i have the time i am good free labor, lol

plus i have done a few lifts in my day also, and more maintenance on vehicles than i care to think about
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Senior User

x2 brother. lifts are a lot of fun and great to look at...but sometimes they are a TON of work lol. kinda makes you wonder why you opted to do it in the first place sometimes.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Senior User

Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Sigskydiver is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Awesome guys thats a huge help. I have a chitons but yea it doesn't show everything. Maybe if either of you guys needs to do that kinda maintenance on your truck we can take them both to the autoshop and do them at the same time. Just a thought
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Senior User

mine is an 81 f100 with a 300 I6. she's gonna need a few more things before she hits the open road.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior User

pdogg6 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
kinda makes you wonder why you opted to do it in the first place sometimes.
That's generally the conclusion on 90% of the jobs I decide to take on myself...
LS
Alabama Chapter
Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Senior User

Ridenred333 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I know this is kind of an older post but are you guys still around here.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:48 PM
Senior User

I am not. Moved out to south florida. Hope the other guys are though if you need something.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Senior User

Ridenred333 is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks for the response
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southern Region > Alabama Chapter