Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V10 COP or Speed Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:34 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack
I might have found the problem, I could only get to three today, ran out of time, but the third COP back on the passenger side, when I pulled it out the spring stayed attached to the plug. Came right out of the boot. When I examined the boot, it looked okay, but with the spring loose I am wondering if that was the issue. I figure tomorrow after work I will stop by the auto parts store, pickup a new boot, replace it and see if that does the trick. Maybe I will get lucky. The other two I pulled looked okay, I believe they are all Motorcraft as well. It looks like the other two on that side are going to be very tough to get too.
Loose spring is bad. Just replacing the boot will not fix the spring. I hope that is not what you meant. You need a Coil. 4 and 5 aren't to bad to get to. I use a 1/4" socket driver with 3" extension with a 7mm.

FYI.... Left (passenger) side of engine is 1-5 from front to back. 6-10 on right side (drivers) front to back.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:37 AM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I think when you buy a new boot, there is already a new spring inside.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Boots usually come with new springs.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Cactus Jack
Junior User
Originally Posted by TrdLtly
Loose spring is bad. Just replacing the boot will not fix the spring. I hope that is not what you meant. You need a Coil. 4 and 5 aren't to bad to get to. I use a 1/4" socket driver with 3" extension with a 7mm.

FYI.... Left (passenger) side of engine is 1-5 from front to back. 6-10 on right side (drivers) front to back.
I assumed the new boot would have a new spring in it. I appreciate the sequence, I really didn't know how they were designated. So #3 is the one that had the loose spring. After it is running right, when I find a deal on some Motorcraft COP's I am going to buy an extra or two, and a couple of new boots and keep them in the X. Just in case. Looks like a programmer is next up as well.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM
Cactus Jack
Junior User
Originally Posted by Krewat
I'm going to owe y'all a beer if this keeps me out of the mechanic's shop. I kid you not, the advice, communication, and threads on this board have me thinking about putting up my 04' 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge Hemi for sale, and buying a crew cab 4x4 3/4 ton Ford, either a V10 or PSD.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I'm going to owe y'all a beer if this keeps me out of the mechanic's shop. I kid you not, the advice, communication, and threads on this board have me thinking about putting up my 04' 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge Hemi for sale, and buying a crew cab 4x4 3/4 ton Ford, either a V10 or PSD.
NOW you're talkin'

Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM
mikeismadness
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get another V10 Super Duty. You'll love it more than that hemi!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Cactus Jack
Junior User
Originally Posted by mikeismadness
Get another V10 Super Duty. You'll love it more than that hemi!
I don't know, that Hemi has a lot of power, it is a fun truck to drive. Everybody loves to drive it. What I have always liked about the Fords though, is that they make the best body in the business. My X shuts like a bank vault. The Fords always seem really tight, well made, and the cab is quiet. The interior always appears to be of higher quality. I grew up in a Ford household, at our family gatherings every year you could pull up to both grandparent's ranches and it would look like a Ford commercial. All kinds of half tons, 3/4 and 1 ton 4x4's parked out front. Chevy and Dodge just do not have as good a body as the Ford does. Now they will have great motors at times, like the Chevy 5.7 and the Dodge Cummins, but their Quality Control on the rest of the vehicle seems to be lacking, the tolerances and craftsmanship seems to be for lack of a better term "cheap." I like the way the Dodge trucks look, but one of my favorite trucks of all time are the 05-07 Ford SD trucks. I hate the way the new ones look. I told my wife is someone gave me one, I would either have to convert the front end to a 07' or 10' look, or sell it. I just hate the way they look. Now the 05'-07' model years, those are my favorites. I love the look. Ford should have kept that look longer. My 02' is going to have a faceplant before long.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:33 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by Krewat
Now I see they do come off of the coil. I have about 4 different styles of DG508 COP's in a box as spares including an MC. I have never had the spring loose from the coil. Always thought that they would be solid or soldered in. Maybe I should start a COP analysis thread with so many samples. LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 PM
Cactus Jack
Junior User
I went ahead and changed the boots on 1,2,3, switched sides checked 6 found a little bit of wetness on the boot, checked 7 it was really nasty, I figured it was the one out. Changed the boots on 7, 8, 9, & 10. Started it and it was better but still missing. I went back to 7, put a new COP in it, started it and the miss was eliminated. My wife took it for a spin up and down hills, came back and had a big smile on her face. She wanted me to drive it, so I took it for a spin, up and down some steep inclines with AC on, pulled into the rodeo arena, when I got back in the highway I gave it about 3/4 throttle and the tires squealed. Oh yeah we are back in business. I owe you guys a beer, maybe a case! I sure appreciate the help, saved me a trip to the mechanic. This site is unbelievable.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Pay-It-Forward.... Just think... now your thread will help someone else out in the future and you may not even know it. Thanks for sharing your results... now go enjoy your truck.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:02 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Glad you found the problem