Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM
New User

Jrod Webb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stalling Super Duty - 2002 F350 7.3

I'm at a loss. I've searched through the Forum but maybe I'm not using the right search terms. I've got a 7.3 with 234k and had an issue start about a month ago. I was helping my sister move and on the interstate in WV going about 75 and the truck died going up a hill. No stutter, no smoke, just cut off and no power. I tried downshifting but had no throttle response and just coasted to the shoulder. Waited a few minutes and tried to start it. It would turn over but wouldn't start. While waiting for a tow I pulled fuses, checked for wires I could see, but nothing. In looking through the owner's manual I saw something about the fuel pump reset. Hit it, turned it over a few times and it started. Got me to her place and 200 miles home. A week later my dad was driving it and it quit on him. He couldn't get it to start and had to get it towed to our buddy's shop. He got a generic code for a cam shaft sensor and replaced it. It didn't make it the 4 miles back to my place before it died again. Pulled it to my yard and it started the next morning. Changed fuel filter, cleaned out bowl and checked lift pump in tank- no real issues. I don't really know the diesel mechanic in my town so wanted to put the issue out here and see what problems others have had. From what I've read it seems like it could be the IPR. Does anyone have photos/diagrams of where it is under the turbo? I'd like to check wires and the tin nut on it. The mechanic said I would probably have to replace the HPOP. I don't see why it would cut the engine after a few miles before it got to working temp, or why it would start the next morning. What about the fuel pump along the frame rail by the driver's door? Any leads that I can check on my own would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jared
Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Postmaster

Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.Kajtek1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I bet $100 it is the filter inside the tank. I just did those on my 2nd truck last week. Doing it on the side of the freeway is no fun. You will find lot of info in 7.3 section, but at the tank float you have fuel mixer, that inside have 2 -small finger sized filters. Those get varnished or gunked with high mileage. Can't be bought separately, but they clean easy.
Easy test is to see how fast the fuel comes from the pump or put pressure gauge on the bowl.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

powerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputationpowerstroke72 has a superb reputation
Moved to the 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel forum.
2011 F-350 4x4 Lariat Ultimate, Oxford White / Pale Adobe 6.7L PSD 3.55 ELD / Gone but not forgotten.
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced / FTE Forum Guidelines

RIP Steve (Bricks) Price........Godspeed my good friend. RIP Paul / Hdslider.....you are truly missed.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Junior User

worm0479 is starting off with a positive reputation.
btw the cam shaft pos sensor is a recall from ford.

for what she(truck) did is exactly why its a recall bc it could make ur truck shut off in the middle of driving not being able to stop and turn safetly.. call ur dealership it about a 30 min swap. u could do it ur self in about 15-20.. if u want to buy the parts..

btw there is also a recall for a harness that conects to the brake booster that is even more important than the cps.
the brake harness can catch fire..

check it out..
Old 07-18-2012, 08:17 AM
New User

I had the cam-shaft position sensor changed but that didn't seem to help as it quit on me again on the 4 mile ride home with the new sensor. It's 96 here today in VA with humidity to match, but I'm going to see what I can do after work.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM
New User

I spent a month or two this spring building a flatbed for the truck and put some old oak 1x6s we had in the barn on the bed so I took those off first and checked the lift pump and screens/filters in the tank last weekend. They weren't clogged and the truck shut off again when I was driving it after that. It's fairly annoying trying to stay close enough to home to pull it back when it dies and still be able to test drive it.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:59 PM
New User

I had some time to work on the truck over the weekend. New wire connectors to the fuel pump (1 ton truck so lift pump in tank/no spare/ and pump on rail), checked flow rate and cleared line to fuel filter housing. Cleaned the whole filter housing area and hooked everything back up, started it up and let it idle while eating lunch. Came back out and it had died. Started checking wires and after taking off air hose to turbo found this mess:
Click the image to open in full size.

Apparently while I was working on building the flatbed a chipmunk stored acorns on top of the engine and chewed the colored insulation off the wires. I got them straightened out:

I use Skotchcoat to waterproof wiring when hooking up underground storage tank CP systems, so figured it would at least give me time until I found a replacement wiring harness/pigtail. Does anyone know what this connection is called?

Applied multiple coats to insulate the wires, hooked it back up and it idled fine for 30 minutes. Decided to drive it up the road last night and it died on me again after about 3 miles. That seems to be the symptoms- starts cold fine, drives fine for 3-4 miles and then quits. No sputter, no miss, just quits and you are left coasting with the dashboard lights on as if you stalled it. And when that happens it won't start, turns over fine but no fire. I'm wondering if there is some resistor or other electrical issue that once it gets to a certain temperature it malfunctions. All I read about modules (IPR, ICP, CPS) have to do with no-start issues, and this thing cranks up. I don't have a scantool. I don't trust the mechanic here in town who started talking about replacing the HPOP right off the bat.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
New User

For some reason the links to my photobucket shots won't pull the photos into the thread. I've uploaded the pictures of the wire harness/pigtail issue to an album
Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold

Get yourself two of these...

Riffraff Diesel: Valve Cover Gasket Connector Pigtail 99-03

Two of these...

Riffraff Diesel: Ford Under Valve Cover Harness 99-03

And two of these...

Riffraff Diesel: Ford Valve Cover Gasket 99-03

That will fix your issue.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Postmaster

CSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to beholdCSIPSD is a splendid one to behold
BTW... Clean the **** out of that motor. Thats embarrassing.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
New User

Joe,
Thanks for your suggestions, was looking at replacing the wiring harness. Dumb question - why would I need to take the valve cover off? Anything else I should do when I'm doing this?

As far as the cleaning- it definitely needs it, gravel roads and farm driving have left some gunk. I don't like using the spray engine cleaner- had to replace all the vacuum lines in my Jeep after they brittled up from the chemicals and started cracking. Any engine cleaner suggestions that don't weaken plastic or rubber?

I looked at the scantool on Riffraff Diesel and some other parts before. Nice to have resources like that for PSD.

Thanks for your help!
Jared
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 AM
New User

Dumb questions usually have a way of answering themselves when you actually read the part description. Jared
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod Webb View Post
Joe,
Thanks for your suggestions, was looking at replacing the wiring harness. Dumb question - why would I need to take the valve cover off? Anything else I should do when I'm doing this?

As far as the cleaning- it definitely needs it, gravel roads and farm driving have left some gunk. I don't like using the spray engine cleaner- had to replace all the vacuum lines in my Jeep after they brittled up from the chemicals and started cracking. Any engine cleaner suggestions that don't weaken plastic or rubber?

I looked at the scantool on Riffraff Diesel and some other parts before. Nice to have resources like that for PSD.

Thanks for your help!
Jared
Quote:
Dumb questions usually have a way of answering themselves when you actually read the part description. Jared
If the top of motor harness looks like that, its as good a time as any to replace the UVC wiring and UVC gasket.

Use Simple green, straight up. Wash, Simple green, 20 minutes, Wash and repeat.

Nothing under there your going to hurt, no matter what the naysayers say.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:43 PM
Post Fiend

just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
Quote:
Joe,

Thanks for your help!
Jared

While in there, check torque of the injectors, and rockers, your there, might as well kill three birds with a single stone.

My name is Pat, i have not purchased a firearm in 2
day (s). I am Strong, I dont need another Firearm, I am happy purchasing ammo for the fire arms I have. Purchasing the wrong ammo is not an excues to buy another firearm.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
BTW... Clean the **** out of that motor. Thats embarrassing.
GOOD GOD!

Your motor is FILTHY!

Here's what I used on mine, you'll probably need 6 cans of this stuff: Berryman 1133 - B-33 Engine Degreaser | O'Reilly Auto Parts

It's available at wal-mart everywhere....

While you're there grab around 3 spray bottles of Simple Green (it's way cheaper at walmart): Sunshine Makers 13033 - Cleaner | O'Reilly Auto Parts

-Start by removing the intake and stuffing a rag in the hose. Soak the COOL engine with the Berrymans B33 engine degreaser. Cover it in this stuff several times over.

-Given the amount of grime you have on your motor, I'd strongly suggest using a pressure washer with a wide angle nozzle to rinse off the degreaser after a good 5-6 minute soak time.

-Once you rinse off the B33, spray down the engine with Simple Green. Don't hesitate, just spray it down and use more than two bottles if you have to. Let it soak for the same 5-6 minutes then rinse with the pressure washer.

This is how I did it last saturday and my engine went from this:

To this:

So clean you could EAT off the engine!

Enjoy...
Excursion & 6.7 Forum Mod Death Row Inmate #21
Black Beauty The Mighty 6.0: 2005 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd "The 6.0" Bulletproofed by Powerstroke Enginuities Straight pipe, Atlas 40, Heavily RiffRaff'd, and Gearheaded
Big Red Beast The Mighty Excursion: 2001 Ford Excursion Limited, 2wd, "The 7.3" Built with blood and sweat by Me and Riffraff Diesel, heavily modded, also Gearheaded
FTE Guidelines
Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM