1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Floor Mount Booster/MC clearance with trans/exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 PM
jbontke
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor Mount Booster/MC clearance with trans/exhaust

For those experienced with floor mount brake booster/MC setups, are there clearance issues with trans/exhaust?

I am in the process of setting an EFI 5.0L engine/trans in the frame of my 56 F100. I started centering up the engine/trans and noticed that the original looked like it was set more to the passenger side. The front suspension is stock I-beam and leafs. Got me thinking about clearance on the other side with an under cab power brake setup (Been looking at CCP unit). I looked around but didn't find this issue specifically addressed.

Can anyone tell me what I may run into?

Thanks,
John

Old 07-16-2012, 10:59 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
As you realize, the drivers side is where the main problems will crop up. What transmission are you using? Floor shift or column? I have a TCI chassis, 302 engine, and AOD tranny. I'm running fox-body shorty headers, and the 87 T-bird H-pipe bolts right up. But, I'm not happy with my Flowmasters and that the tail pipe dumps the noise right in front of the axle. I have a column shift and the under cab power brakes. It all fits, but you defintiely have to be careful when selecting parts.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:48 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jbontke
For those experienced with floor mount brake booster/MC setups, are there clearance issues with trans/exhaust?

I am in the process of setting an EFI 5.0L engine/trans in the frame of my 56 F100. I started centering up the engine/trans and noticed that the original looked like it was set more to the passenger side. The front suspension is stock I-beam and leafs. Got me thinking about clearance on the other side with an under cab power brake setup (Been looking at CCP unit). I looked around but didn't find this issue specifically addressed.

Can anyone tell me what I may run into?

Thanks,
John
John: I'm running the same scenario you are with the power master under the floor. I bought the pedal assy from Speedway and the booster/master from Performance On-Line. I will be running a 5L/AOD with a tubular engine mount. I can't see it being a problem. I think the reason nobody has voiced any concerns is, other than removing the original trans mount, there are no concerns. The tubular mount gives you the opportunity to move the engine over to the pass side if needed. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
jbontke
Junior User
Originally Posted by carnut122
As you realize, the drivers side is where the main problems will crop up. What transmission are you using? Floor shift or column? I have a TCI chassis, 302 engine, and AOD tranny. I'm running fox-body shorty headers, and the mustang cross-over bolts right up. But, I'm not happy with my Flowmasters and that the tail pipe dumps the noise right in front of the axle. I have a column shift and the under cab power brakes. It all fits, but you defintiely have to be careful when selecting parts.
I am using the engine and trans mission form a 98 ford explorer, I think that is a 4R70W. I plan to make it a column shift. I am planning on using the CCP booster/MC kit. Right now I am using a aftermarket trans mount and engine mount setup from f100 central. I want to center the and engine and trans as best I can, plus sit it back as far as possible too.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am using an efi/auto tranny with floor brakes and column shift, and tubular tranny crossmember and its tight..

I don't think there is any room to get the exhaust above the tranny crossmember on the drivers side..

I currently have the temporary pipes under the crossmember on both sides.

Sam

Old 07-17-2012, 05:16 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
You can always cheat a little and give yourself an extra inch on the driver's side. Mine is similar and it all fits in, but I can see where it easily would NOT fit in.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Tom(carnutt) you mention a mustang crossover fits great? you are talking about the Y-pipe? Because I have that to deal with soon. Like what year of pipe?
87-93 ??? It would be nice to buy something that just fits! LOL. I am putting my brakes on the firewall.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
I am using the engine and trans mission form a 98 ford explorer, I think that is a 4R70W. I plan to make it a column shift. I am planning on using the CCP booster/MC kit. Right now I am using a aftermarket trans mount and engine mount setup from f100 central. I want to center the and engine and trans as best I can, plus sit it back as far as possible too.
Welcome to the forum! So are you going to run the bauminator tcs controller for the tranny?

Old 07-17-2012, 06:54 PM
jbontke
Junior User
No, I am using the whole ECU and wiring from the 1998 explorer. I plan to go through the wiring harness and program the ECU to not 'read' the sensors/switches that I am not using.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
No, I am using the whole ECU and wiring from the 1998 explorer. I plan to go through the wiring harness and program the ECU to not 'read' the sensors/switches that I am not using.
Wow ! So you are planning to use the EEC V system. I am interested for sure!
I have read that it is a difficult system to deal with in an EFI swap. I gotta go for a bit, but I really am interested in your progress on that.
Again, welcome to the forum! I am using the EEC IV MAF system from the '87-'93 Mustang. I have a Ford Explorer 5.0 converted the Explorer linkage to Mustang throttlebody/AOD I have some literature on it and some other stuff too.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
jbontke
Junior User
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Wow ! So you are planning to use the EEC V system. I am interested for sure!
I have read that it is a difficult system to deal with in an EFI swap. I gotta go for a bit, but I really am interested in your progress on that.
Again, welcome to the forum! I am using the EEC IV MAF system from the '87-'93 Mustang. I have a Ford Explorer 5.0 converted the Explorer linkage to Mustang throttlebody/AOD I have some literature on it and some other stuff too.
It will be a challenge, but I am a big EFI fan and love tuning my own rides. Progress has been slow and it will be a while before I get to the EFI wiring as I am still trying to set the engine and rear axle.