1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86 Electric Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM
Mustang Mover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the forum. I have owned since new a 1986 F-350 dual rear wheeled cab and chassie ramp truck. I ordered it with 460, 4-speed and dual tanks. The front is steel and the rear is poly. It has 68K on it and the original front pump gave up last Fall after 25 years of service. The rear pump quit about 4 years earlier and I just didn't use it. NAPA provided a replacement pump which was installed. Luckily, being a ramp truck and the body being able to tip up, the tank didn't have to come out. An "IV" gas bottle was rigged to the carb to run the truck enough to tip up the body to gain access to the front tank. That pump lasted 17 miles as I was taking the truck to a garage to have the king pins looked at. A second pump was put in at the garage and I thought all was well...just a defective pump. I used the truck about 400 miles over the winter and just last week it died again in a hayfield in New Hampshire. Another NAPA pump was supplied under warrenty. That makes 3 pumps in nine months. The NAPA store owner said that this was unusual and he never had that many come back. He said to check the vehicle's wiring. The truck made it back to Massachusetts and when I went to start it a couple of days ago, another dead new fuel pump. Now it needs a fourth replacement pump. I am ready to mount a fuel tank on the roof and drive it that way. Any insight from anyone would be helpful. A rear tank sending unit was located NOS from a dealership in CT, but it came without the fuel pump. My wife (who is a mechanic) merged a NAPA generic electric pump to the NOS sending unit to give me a rear tank. The rear pump has been out of the truck since last fall due to the long road its been to track down a sender and create a new rear pump assembly. At this point, NAPA is not going to warranty a fourth pump so I'm on my own at $125 per pump. Hopefully someone out there has heard of a truck "eating" fuel pumps. Thanks

Old 07-16-2012, 08:18 AM
1983F1503004x4
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Part of the reason your truck is eating fuel pumps is probably because they're giving you the cheapo foreign re-manufactured pumps. There are a couple of people on here that have gone through pumps like you have.

Someone should be along here to help you out. I don't know much about the fuel pumps and stuff on the 460's, though I know some of them came with up to 3 or so pumps.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Another possibility is the wrong PSI pump being installed.

My 1986 DD Tempo with TBI has an in-tank pump, the regulator keeps the pressure at 14.5 PSI at the injector and has a return line to the tank.

A 1986 with a 460 I believe uses a carburetor, which requires even lower fuel pressure than my throttle-body injection, I think around 5.5 psi but that should be verified.

If you are installing a fuel-injection pump - the kind that puts out 50+ psi - and restricting it to use with a carb, it would make sense the things don't last long. Just like a human's heart trying to operate against blocked arteries, it can do that for only so long before it fails.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:56 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mustang Mover.

6-7 psi for the stock Holley/Motorcraft 4180.

If you have in-tank pumps for an '86 460, you should have the "Hot Fuel Handling" vapor seperator up between the coil and the carb.
Are you sure the return line is clear?
Deadheading the in-tank pumps causes them to overheat and burn out.

(just something to check)

Old 07-16-2012, 04:58 PM
armashby
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
86 electric fuel pump problem

I had the same problems with the standard NAPA pumps(Carter-Borgwarner). I got a Delphi # DFP FE0065 from NAPA that is a standard NAPA part OEM replacement, my NAPA deler Warrentened it after three or the other pumps. In the rear tank I used a Airtex E2091S comllete unit.This is the one to use if your plastic tank hase a Aprox. 2" hole.This is the sending unit and pump complete.
Good luck Rodger

Old 07-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Or, you can go to a stand-alone electric pump. However, I believe the tank selector valve requires pressure from the in-tank pump to switch to that tank, so you would have to go with another style valve - like the one used in the earlier trucks that switched electrically.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Mustang Mover
New User

Thank you to all who replied to my post. All the info is very helpful. I didn't realize that complete pump and senders were available from anyone else but NAPA. I will check the return line to see if it is obstructed in any way. I thought Carter made a good pump so I was blaming the truck for burning out the four fuel pumps. I'll bet they are manufactured overseas. I will post my results soon. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:26 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
On the 4th Carter- NAPA rear tank pump for my 87 F250 with 460 engine. Last one quit at 75 miles.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:36 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I'm thankful every day I read this stuff that I have a mechanical fuel pump!
Perhaps it's an option to be considered?

You'd have to reroute the return line to the pump and perhaps change the switching valve, but the eccentric should be there on the cam gear.
All you need to do is remove the blank off plate.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:31 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
I'm thankful every day I read this stuff that I have a mechanical fuel pump!

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...crankcase.html

Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Chris,
Other than taking a long time to prime if I inadvertently run the tank dry, I've never really had an issue with mine.

I know that they can fail internally, but I hear of many more problems with the Hot Fuel Handling system (both electrical and mechanical) than I have ever had.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I remember a friend with a Ford back in the late 60's that had the same problem. The issue seemed to have been that he was parked on a hill pointed down and there was a crack in the fuel pump's diaphragm. It filled the crankcase with gas. Other than that and your problem, I've never seen it happen.

Given that, I'm also happy I have a mechanical pump. We sure have a lot of people come on here with electrical pump problems - both in-tank and otherwise. Very few seem to have mechanical pump problems.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 853 Likes on 771 Posts
I think I replaced the mechanical pump in my 86 351 about 16 years ago. Still going fine. My 87 with the 460 does not have an access for a mechanical pump. But my 85 460 parts truck does.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
I think we're all in agreement that NAPA pumps are junk. I had the OE front pump fail on a trip to Colorado in '05 with 66,000. All I could find was a NAPA pump but on the return trip I couldn't use the front pump unless I was cruising level ground. Not enough output to keep up with the carb. They weren't happy to see me when I returned it, in the box with all the paperwork, at my local store. I found an OE complete that was made for the 22 gal tank and swapped just the pump.

We just got back from our last trip to Lake Superior where the rear pump failed after 82,000 miles, 28 years and 9 months. Not sure how to feel about the miles but the time span looks pretty good. I'm in the process of replacing it with another of the E3TZ9350C pumps that I bought back in '06.

After my experience with the NAPA/Carter performance and availability I've carried a spare, just like the fuel relays. I'm very glad to hear there are some quality replacement parts available now. From what I'm reading it seems that Airtex may be the way to go?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:12 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

My 87 460 truck has a mechanical pump...
Have you replaced your timing case?

Quick Reply: 86 Electric Fuel Pump Problem