1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

86 Electric Fuel Pump Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeSDale
I think we're all in agreement that NAPA pumps are junk. I had the OE front pump fail on a trip to Colorado in '05 with 66,000. All I could find was a NAPA pump but on the return trip I couldn't use the front pump unless I was cruising level ground. Not enough output to keep up with the carb. They weren't happy to see me when I returned it, in the box with all the paperwork, at my local store. I found an OE complete that was made for the 22 gal tank and swapped just the pump.

We just got back from our last trip to Lake Superior where the rear pump failed after 82,000 miles, 28 years and 9 months. Not sure how to feel about the miles but the time span looks pretty good. I'm in the process of replacing it with another of the E3TZ9350C pumps that I bought back in '06.

After my experience with the NAPA/Carter performance and availability I've carried a spare, just like the fuel relays. I'm very glad to hear there are some quality replacement parts available now. From what I'm reading it seems that Airtex may be the way to go?
So, Clyde is completely healed and back in service?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:46 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
So, Clyde is completely healed and back in service?
I wish!

The tank goes back in today and I'm not looking forward to that .... it was bad enough to wiggle and pry it out. I'm going to make a few bends on the sides and corners of the tank "flanges" to give me a little more room. I have to deal with a 3" exhaust that obstructs the right front of the tank area and the spare tire carrier mount on the left front. I can clean up the strap bolts but I have to get new bolts for the receiver hitch.

NOT looking forward to this. There's no rush but I just want to get it done with. If not for the fifthwheel hitch, camper wiring, running boards and such I would have opted to lift the box.

Guess I've stalled long enough ....

Old 07-19-2012, 10:51 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
I know the feeling Roger. Move exhaust over, disconnect air shock lines, remove class 5 hitch. No spare tire mount to worry about though.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I wish!

The tank goes back in today and I'm not looking forward to that .... it was bad enough to wiggle and pry it out. I'm going to make a few bends on the sides and corners of the tank "flanges" to give me a little more room. I have to deal with a 3" exhaust that obstructs the right front of the tank area and the spare tire carrier mount on the left front. I can clean up the strap bolts but I have to get new bolts for the receiver hitch.

NOT looking forward to this. There's no rush but I just want to get it done with. If not for the fifthwheel hitch, camper wiring, running boards and such I would have opted to lift the box.

Guess I've stalled long enough ....
Keep us updated.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Cerran
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Guys, just as an FYI I'm having the same issue with the 1986/87 F250 pump and sending unit assembly. My pumps rarely last beyond 1000 miles and I'll be on my third this year in less than 2 years. I too am looking for a solution so I don't have to change the pump yet again. Someone has to make a quality pump to replace the junk they are giving us.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:34 PM
85lebaront2
Old School Hot Rodder

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Clyde, I assume your truck has the in-tank low pressure pumps like mine did. I replaced my front one in 1994 when I bought the truck, it was a Stewart-Warner from Pep Boys and was still working perfectly when I converted to EFI. It is for the 1986 Mid Chassis 19 gal tank, n=but the pump itself was a separate piece, no gauge sender included.

FWIW, my first front EFI pump was a new (Chinese) SPI, lasted 1 week, thankfully the bed was off so it wasn't too bad. As far as pulling the box, try it with a dually, Dee Zee side box running boards and a fifth wheel hitch. I did find I could get the rear tank out from between the V5 receiver sides from below.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Cerran
Cross-Country
Pep Boys no longer carries a Stewart Warner Pump, only Carter. I'd love to find a OE Motocraft pump or a Bosch pump

Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Just back from another Lake Superior trip and the OE replacement pump I installed worked as expected. Too bad the gauge accuracy on the back isn't as good as on the front. Well, I won't be pulling it out to do any fine tuning and since I run through the front tank first the accuracy of that one is most important and when it says empty ... it is.

IIRC the Airtex complete replacement kit claims increased gauge accuracy.
I'd like that but I'm not going to do it unless I have to replace the rear again.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Cerran
Cross-Country
where did you get the OE pump?

I think we're all in agreement that NAPA pumps are junk. I had the OE front pump fail on a trip to Colorado in '05 with 66,000. All I could find was a NAPA pump but on the return trip I couldn't use the front pump unless I was cruising level ground. Not enough output to keep up with the carb. They weren't happy to see me when I returned it, in the box with all the paperwork, at my local store. I found an OE complete that was made for the 22 gal tank and swapped just the pump.

We just got back from our last trip to Lake Superior where the rear pump failed after 82,000 miles, 28 years and 9 months. Not sure how to feel about the miles but the time span looks pretty good. I'm in the process of replacing it with another of the E3TZ9350C pumps that I bought back in '06.

After my experience with the NAPA/Carter performance and availability I've carried a spare, just like the fuel relays. I'm very glad to hear there are some quality replacement parts available now. From what I'm reading it seems that Airtex may be the way to go?
Where did you get the OE pump at?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:28 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
I worked sales at a small Ford dealership for 10+ years. When I needed a fuel pump to replace inadequate NAPA pump the parts guy did a search and didn't find any. It was his idea to look for other tank configurations and we found some for the 22 gallon tank. I just stripped the pump off the 22 gallon assembly and installed it in place of the original. After the first one worked I had him hunt up another one and I've carried it around, just in case, for years.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Cerran
Cross-Country
So in other words most of us are SOL for finding a decent pump. I may end up with a frame mounted external pump it sounds like. Has anyone had any luck with the Airtex pumps?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:11 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 852 Likes on 770 Posts
So far the Airtex pump I put in my 87 has outlasted the last 2 NAPA pumps - 175 vs 80 miles. 87 is tied up right now with H2O pump issues and lack of ambition.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Cerran
Cross-Country
Sounds like that may be the route I take for now then. All I know is the carter pumps are junk.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerran
Sounds like that may be the route I take for now then. All I know is the carter pumps are junk.
What year truck? What engine? EFI? Single tank or two? If two, which tank, rear or side? 4WD or no?

Old 09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Cerran
Cross-Country
1986 F250, 460, 4WD, Carbureted, Electric pumps one in each tank, failed pump is on the rear tank, the rear tank is new and the second pump failed in just over a year's time just out of warranty, no mechanical pump.

Quick Reply: 86 Electric Fuel Pump Problem