Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2012, 05:22 PM
New User

Psycho is starting off with a positive reputation.
56 F-100 project

New project.

Been waiting on this one for 25 years. That's about how long ago my Papaw told me it would be mine someday.

His dad owned her before that. My earliest memories are in this truck. The original color code is G-E, Papaw repainted her around 83. Just sanded down to primer then paint, no body work. He painted her back the solid green then, which is why the roof is no longer white. I'll put her back green and white. That's how I first remember her.

The original 272 starts and idles with just a touch of the switch. No choke, no pumping the gas. The original ford-o-matic drives out good, but blows fluid out the dipstick tube in high gear. Seals in the clutch packs are just plain rotten from sitting. Got the rebuild Kit from David Andrews last week. Transmission is out, probably build it next week.

Gutters and lower doors are the only major rust damage. It's always been stored inside. There's surface rust here and there, and I patched a couple holes in the drivers side running board, which I brazed. Cab corners, fenders, ect, solid.

I'm an old school brazer and stick welder. Don't own a mig welder. I got some good patch material out of the hood of an old maverick. Most everything will get brazed in, etched with phosphoric acid, then sealed with zinc chromate. The gutters and roof line will be the only real challenge. I've had no luck sourcing patch panels. They'll probably end up with a thin layer of plastic filler for the final smoothing, but there won't be any of this gobbing the crap in there garbage.

Thought it's probably not often ya'll see a 56 this straight completely unrestored and just thought I'd share. There'll be more pics as I go along.

The last picture is about 7 years ago, Papaw and I, second and third owners respectively, in happier times before the alzheimer's robbed his mind.

If anyone knows where to locate a stock wheel, I'm short one and would like to buy one.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

dynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to alldynamic is a name known to all
Yikes,

That rim has seen better days.

Midfifty sells new rims if you want to spend the money, other wise check your local Classifieds, Craigslist Etc.

It makes me happy to see the truck stay in your family, and good luck with it. Im sure your Papaw wouldnt want it any other way.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Click Here to become a RI Chapter Member

Tom - Rhode Island Chapter Leader

"Speed is just a question of money... How fast can you go?" - Mad Max
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Old guy with old toys

raytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to beholdraytasch is a splendid one to behold
That looks like one nice unmolested original old truck.........And in good hands.
2007 F150 SC. Driven once in a while. 2015 Escape SE EB 1.6 Wife's ride
Eighteen trillion, still spending and no end in sight. What fools! Argentina, move over, here we come.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Postmaster

Harrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to allHarrier is a name known to all
Great story, great looking truck.
Be sure to keep us up on the progress.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Elder User

Nuthin is starting off with a positive reputation.
Might as well be a member of the family, eh?

That truck is going to be a comfort to you; somehow, I know that.

Do keep us posted. I especially would like to see the top once it's re-done. I have that in mind for mine.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:57 AM
Elder User

South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.South of BC has a good reputation on FTE.
Welcome aboard, we have a lot in common. I have my dad's '56 F100 he bought new and Alzheimer's is robbing his mind. Looking forward to seeing the progress on yours, and if I can be of help, just ask.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Posting Guru

old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.old_dan has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to the forum!!!

I love a truck with a good back story!!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Elder User

Schuyles is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Schuyler Travis
Touching story and great looking truck. My grandaddy gave me my '65 F100 and recently had to move into an assisted living home because of Dementia...it's sad, and like was said previously, I know the '65 will always bring back the good times.

Good luck, can't wait to see the progress.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Senior User

Nighthawk756 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Fantastic story....love the family lineage. Wish my 56 was that good of shape!

Keep us up to date on the progress!
2006 F150 SuperCrew Lariat
Old 07-18-2012, 11:34 AM
Freshman User

sky56 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Skymedic56
Great story. Truck looks great too. Thanks for sharing and best of luck on whatever you end up doing with her. Take care
Old 07-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
Psyc,
welcome! Great story and nice to see pix of the old gal.
If I may offer some advice? You really don't want to use brass for body repair. The amount of heat affected zone will warp the panels to pieces, especially the doors, and paint does not bond to brass very well. If you must use a torch, weld, don't braze the panels. Use the smallest tip you can get for your torch or invest in a henrob torch. Use TIG filler wire and paste flux rather than flux covered gas rod with either torch. Much better yet, spend the money on a MIG machine, the Eastwood 135 is a good machine, plenty of power for almost anything that needs welding on your truck, plugs into a standard household 115V outlet, and uses shielding gas, all for the very affordable price of (just lowered!) 299.00!. Eastwood MIG Welder | MIG 135 Welder | MIG Welding MIG is very easy to learn and works well for sheet metal. Read my posts on how to mig weld here: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-practice.html this comes from a guy who spent 30+ years with an Ox Ac torch in his hand. If my MIG machine burned out today, I'd be unpacking another one tomorrow!
There are no patch panels available for the roof, you'll have to make your own (not really difficult, I've posted plenty of how to's on here), plus there is understructure under the skin that is likely rotted out and in need of replacing as well. cut out the deteriorated metal well into solid and the same with the understructure. If the roof is that rotted, pull back or remove the windshield rubber and poke around the lower windshield surround under it for signs of more rot, once water can get past the roof, it runs down the posts and pools at the bottom of the windshield and rusts thru from the inside. Use an icepick, awl or similar to probe any/all flaky surface rust, blistering or dark specks for soft or rusted thru areas. You can't weld (or braze) them over no matter how small they may appear, it must be cut out and replaced with sound metal.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 07-30-2012, 03:03 PM
New User

Psycho is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. After considerable research I picked up a linc pro mig 140 and an 80cf cylinder, and have been building a cart for them as a practice project. Been nearly 20 years since I did much wire welding. I've got an old bus here to rob for patch panels, so maybe when the weather turns bad this winter I'll be able to get on this project full steam.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Post Fiend

AXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to beholdAXracer is a splendid one to behold
Chuck Frank
be sure to check out my thread on MIG welding http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-practice.html To help you get started and comfortable with that welder.

1956 F100 Panel "GRACIE"
2007 Solstice GXP racer, the "KRAZED KANARY"
Third place finish 2009 SCCA National Championships
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM
New User

hoss351 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wheel

Psyco Let me double check but I believe I have the original spare tire and wheel from my 56. If I do still have it then I will be more than happy to let it go. I will check
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM