1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'48-50 Radiator Splash Pan

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
'48-50 Radiator Splash Pan

Anyone know of a supplier for a stamped steel replacement, or of a nice used one? Been forging ahead on Gertie the '49 F-2, and am in need of one. The original has rotted through in a couple places, and is not worth repairing.

Would have posted this in the Marketplace forum, but have not registered the required 25 posts yet. Thanks.

Dave

Old 07-15-2012, 04:32 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gertie-The '49 F2
Anyone know of a supplier for a stamped steel replacement, or of a nice used one? Been forging ahead on Gertie the '49 F-2, and am in need of one. The original has rotted through in a couple places, and is not worth repairing.

Would have posted this in the Marketplace forum, but have not registered the required 25 posts yet. Thanks.

Dave
Are you looking for one for a six cylinder or eight?

Old 07-15-2012, 05:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
There's a reason they are so hard to find. They are a major PITA as far as working on anything. They probably were just the ticket back in the '50's when these trucks were taken down mucky roads and through fields, but unless you plan on doing the same, you can live without one.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:00 PM
BigPigDaddy
Cargo Master
If you are talking about the piece that goes under the radiator, there is one on e bay right now.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
The one I need is for a V8. Saw the one on Ebay, but that is the back pan, and goes directly underneath the fan and lower radiator hoses. The one I am looking for is the front pan that sits between the bottom of the radiator and the lower valance panel (the valance is the part that sits directly beneath the grille, and between the lower fender extensions). The front splash has a cutout for the crank and the drain petcock.

I know I really don't need the pan, but it has always been there (I've had the truck since March of '83, been in the family since around '69), and I am intent on doing a full resto. A driving resto, but complete nonetheless.

Thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate it.

Dave (and Gertie, the '49 F-2)

Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Ah, I get it, I believe that is called a lower deflector, and is more important for directing air going thru the grille into the radiator.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Like Ross said, you really do want the deflector in front of the radiator to make sure all the air that is supposed to goes through the rad, not around it. I'm not familiar with the 48-50 deflector, but if it's anything like the 51-2 version, it should be simple to make one that would do the job. Mine is just a small flat piece of sheet metal with a very short 90 degree bend/lip on one edge.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
I'd have thought so too, Wayne, but it looks like a miniature radiator splash shield, according to the Denns C. catalog

Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Ah, I get it, I believe that is called a lower deflector, and is more important for directing air going thru the grille into the radiator.
I always figured its main task was to keep rocks from pounding hell out of the radiator, but the deflector principal certainly sounds correct, given the hot-headed nature of the flat V-8.

Anyways... I would like to locate one. There was a decent looking candidate on the 'bay recently, but some hack had chopped a hole in it.

On a side note, was working on the truck this afternoon completely refurbishing the brake system, and had it running for some hour or so. Even backed it into the drive (gently, no brakes), moved the Farmall out of the shop, and pulled the truck into the building so as to begin repairs in earnest, and under a roof (got soaked last week working under the trees). Today was the first time the old girl moved under its own power in over 13 years. Was pretty excited driving her, when I pushed the brake pedal to the floor (forgot, no brakes), and almost ran over my surface grinder. Fortunately, she is quite stiff from sitting so long (I am that way too after a time), and she only came to within a foot or so of the machine. Backed her up a little, and straightened her in the bay, then shut her off and chocked.

Dave (and Gertie, the '49 F-2)

Old 07-16-2012, 12:05 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I may have one. Just don't remember if it's for a 6 or an 8. I'll check tomorrow.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
I'd have thought so too, Wayne, but it looks like a miniature radiator splash shield, according to the Denns C. catalog
Thats the puppy Ross. The far right dimple and opening is for the rad. drain, and the center hole is for the crank. Given that this is a drawn and stamped sheet, I would think it would be a difficult job even for a Pull-Max sheet worker. The angles wouldn't be bad, but the drain recess would be tough to repro.

Dave

Old 07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The 51-52 version of the same part is a flat piece of metal with a couple of holes. It's much easier to replicate it than the stamped 48-50 version.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 AM
Gertie-The '49 F2
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I may have one. Just don't remember if it's for a 6 or an 8. I'll check tomorrow.
Thanks for looking PanelMan. Will be on pins and needles till then.

As stated earlier, I have had the truck for around 30 years. Even brought my last kid home from the hospital in it when she was spawned (Sarah graduated from high school in May). But with lousy jobs, and 5 heathens... er, children, I never had the money to do anything but drive it when I needed to haul something.

Now it looks like crap.

Of course, I now get pretty good pay, the heathens... er, kids are grown, and I can now try to bring Gertie back to something like her former self. Just pulled her from the weeds a scant five weeks ago, and have sunk better than $600 in new parts into it.

The best is yet to come.

Gert in March of 83 shortly after Dad let me have her, and before I was married.

Gert, me, and my dog Ruby the same day.

My neighbor, me, and Gertie two weeks ago in front of the shop.

Dave

Old 07-16-2012, 06:42 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
I have an extra one but it is for a six. Made the mistake of buying the second one when I already had one.

It's not the first time I've bought two of the same part. That's what happens when your build takes 4 years and you have CRS!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if panel man doesn't have one i might but i wont be home till fri to look

Quick Reply: '48-50 Radiator Splash Pan