F350 or F450?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 121 Likes on 117 Posts
F350 or F450?

Hello all,

Been lurking for awhile, and have learned quite a bit so far. I currently do not own a travel trailer, but will be looking for one next year when I get my settlement. I am looking to buy a used 40 foot 5th wheel trailer with 3 axles. The reason for this is because I plan on living in it full time, and want the biggest one I can get. However, after reading the post on here about getting the right size truck for the trailer, I am having second thoughts on the'96 F350 4x4 I had planned on getting to tow it. Maybe a F450 would be better suited to the task?

If I remember correctly the trailer weighs just under 12k, and I was under the impression the F350 could tow up to 16k, so I had a safe margin. The trailer for the most part will sit in a trailer park, however, I will take it with me on chapter gtg's and trips to vacation spots. I have never towed a trailer before (besides 8 foot U-Haul trailers) and have a sinking suspicion I may be getting in over my head by jumping into this truck/trailer combination right off the bat. That is the main reason for lurking here to get as many tips/tricks as I can before I make the plunge. Anyway, getting back to the main question I would rather not have to get a F450 for this size trailer if I don't have to, so I am hoping the F350 will do the job.

This is the trailer I plan on getting:

A few years back I did have a 76 F250 with a slide in camper on it, and loved it, even though noting in the camper worked except the interior lights (it was given to me by an FTE member who was going to junk it), but it was burned to the ground by a bunch of kids with a book of matches so I have not been able to go camping since then.

Jim

Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
It would have to be weighed to really find out what sized truck you will need....and what the pin weight is. That looked like an older RV so it will prob weigh more than the more recent ones......Mostly wood with aluminum siding gets heavy. The plus is, with triple axles the pin weight may be not as much as a double axle. BUT, you gotta get it weighed to be sure. Do you know what the previous owner used to pull it?

Old 07-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

No, I don't know what the owner used to pull the trailer. Looking at the other photos of it, it looks like he kept it on his property and lived in it himself. It is a 1984 Coachman.

Jim

Old 07-14-2012, 12:41 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Have you tried to GOOGLE that make - year - model to maybe find out what the manufacturers specs are on it?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
The one thought I have about campers this long is to give some thought to where intend to take it. The length can limit the number of spaces that will handle a trailer that long in some campgrounds.

Steve

Old 07-14-2012, 03:19 PM
quigley513
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you might want to consider getting a semi day cab for that rig. In the end you will be far happier and have a lot more money left in your wallet. International 4900 for example. While a basic 40 ft fifth wheel might only weigh 12,000lb, by the time it is fully furnished, water and fuel, food and tools, a/c and generator(s), and your personalty, you are ending up buying a pretty expensive pickup truck to transport it. I would bet that you can buy a pretty good day cab semi for $10,000.

BTW, you don't need a CDL to drive a semi as long as the whole rig is registered for under 26,000 and actually weighs under 26,000 and there is no commercial use.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:10 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I would lean more toward a F450 or 550 cab and chassis. The reason for a cab and chassis is to get a custom bed made for towing, that way you can carry extra fuel, parts and tools in case of breakdowns. All these things can be stored in truck body and easily accessible. You never know what the road will throw at you when full time RVing.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Some valid points, as always. Thanks for the input. I did not think of the length being a possible problem in some campgrounds. However, I can see where it might be. Not all campgrounds have the same accommodations I am sure. This particular trailer, already has a generator and AC installed, and if I understand the seller, it was included in the 12k weight figure. Of course, I will double check that before buying.

I did try to Google the make and model for specs, but it appears they use the same name on different size trailers and I have not found an exact match yet. And I do plan on living in it as my home, but I don't plan on being on the road all the time. I will have it in a trailer park most of the time, but will be taking it with me when I do decide to go somewhere. just wanted to clarify that. Also, since this exact trailer has already been sold, I am looking for one similar, but have entertained thoughts of getting a newer one say mid 90's instead of mid 80's. mainly for the fiberglass sides for weight reduction. However, I still want it big. If I can't find a 40 footer, I will settle for 38 or possibly 36. but I do plan on living in it instead of renting a house or apartment, and dealing with roommates.

Jim

Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I tow a 40' dual bathroom 4 slider coming in at 14K gross with my F250. Many Many miles on in. Does take some getting used to where you can go and park with it but I don't have any real problems.

Trick is to practice and know all your weights and your heights.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Some valid points, as always. Thanks for the input. I did not think of the length being a possible problem in some campgrounds. However, I can see where it might be. Not all campgrounds have the same accommodations I am sure. This particular trailer, already has a generator and AC installed, and if I understand the seller, it was included in the 12k weight figure. Of course, I will double check that before buying.

I did try to Google the make and model for specs, but it appears they use the same name on different size trailers and I have not found an exact match yet. And I do plan on living in it as my home, but I don't plan on being on the road all the time. I will have it in a trailer park most of the time, but will be taking it with me when I do decide to go somewhere. just wanted to clarify that. Also, since this exact trailer has already been sold, I am looking for one similar, but have entertained thoughts of getting a newer one say mid 90's instead of mid 80's. mainly for the fiberglass sides for weight reduction. However, I still want it big. If I can't find a 40 footer, I will settle for 38 or possibly 36. but I do plan on living in it instead of renting a house or apartment, and dealing with roommates.

Jim
Couple of thoughts. First one is about age. As you go back in time it becomes an increasing challenge to find parts and some parts simply do not exist. This is not a major issue, but it can be a factor. The industry says the average life span of most appliances and major components is in the area of 10 years, although they often last longer. I just became a service center for one major appliance manufacturer and they are now saying 7 years. Pretty darn short. A service call to a unit out of the 80s often means I will be working on more than one system before I leave the job.

Secondly, if you move into something with slides, you pick up a great deal of space you can only find in slick side models by going with length. Calculate your square footage with a 36-footer with a couple of slides and compare it to a 40 footer without slides and you might be surprised. A shorter rig also gives you a bit more maneuverability, if that is a factor for you.

Steve

Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Scott...I know you've posted this before, but accommodate an old fart and tell me your pin weight again.......

Old 07-15-2012, 11:04 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Scott...I know you've posted this before, but accommodate an old fart and tell me your pin weight again.......
2800 lbs not too much

Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Ant1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need a commercial vehicle to pull that trailer, it will sit more than it gets driven. Every RV made has a yellow sticker on the drivers side/road side near the front that tells you the weight capacity of the trailer determined by the axels period. If you pick a truck that can handle that capacity you are good to go. Your main issue will be to find a location that can handle the length. Also if you find a trailer with any signs of water damage, keep looking.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. I too was worried about getting a trailer that old. However, I love the look of that thing. True it will sit more than being towed but I don't want any problems because I chose a truck too small for the job.

I doubt my settlement will be high enough to afford a 2011 40 footer, but since I am looking for a 96 F350 4x4, I figure maybe I can forget the '84 and look for a 96 5'er instead. I know that still puts it past the 10 year mark for the appliances, and with me living in it full time, I would imagine the appliances will wear out sooner, since they will not be sitting unused 90 percent of the time like most others. Based on that assumption though, I would have to buy something newer than 2002, and unless I get more from this settlement than I am thinking, I am not sure that will be possible.

The '84 sold for $4,300, and the year and model of truck I am looking at can be had for under 5k, keeping me under 10k (minus taxes, title etc) However, since this will be my permanent home, I may just buy the best trailer I can, and cut costs in other areas. I had not thought about slides in my search for a trailer. Maybe a 36 ft with slides will work for me. I am single and have no kids/grand kids, so really I don't need much space, it is just the though of me living in a cramped small camper the rest of my life I don't like.

Scott, I never would have thought a F250 would work with a 40ft 5th wheel. That is good to know as I really did not want to go with a F450. I will continue looking at F350's. I will also double check the yellow stickers on the trailers I do look at to make sure of the weight. I had planned on finding an empty parking lot to do quite a bit of practicing backing it up, and making turns etc. Don't want any problems caused by my inability to park it. LOL

Jim

Old 07-15-2012, 12:29 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ant1
You don't need a commercial vehicle to pull that trailer, it will sit more than it gets driven. Every RV made has a yellow sticker on the drivers side/road side near the front that tells you the weight capacity of the trailer determined by the axels period. If you pick a truck that can handle that capacity you are good to go. Your main issue will be to find a location that can handle the length. Also if you find a trailer with any signs of water damage, keep looking.
There have been a large number of recalls due to mislabeling and manufacturers have had to change axle to handle the weight.

Steve

Quick Reply: F350 or F450?