Krewat- There are OBD-II 2-valve V-10's

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Krewat- There are OBD-II 2-valve V-10's

Yes ,There are OBD II , 2-valve V-10’s afterall
Quote: Krewat”Do you have an O2 sensor after the catalytic converter?

My '01 was bought (by me) in New York, and is NOT OBD-II compliant .”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

………………………<o></o>
I am currently on the road with trailer , it took some time to get underneath the truck to verify the pre- and post-cat O2 sensors . Yes there are 3 O2 sensors altogether , 2 of them are pre-cat, on each side of the Y-pipe and 1 is post-cat .<o></o>
This subject of being OBD-I or OBD-II complaint has been one of the most confusing subject on this forum over the years . <o></o>
1-Yes I have a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> O2 sensor after the cat<o></o>
2- Yes I have a sticker stating it is OBD-II compliant . (Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker says- This vehicle conforms to California regulations applicable to 2003 model year new LEV medium-duty vehicles and to U.S EPA regulations applicable in California. OBD II certified.)<o></o>
Mine was originally purchased in NY in 2003. We also heard that majority of V-10’s (like Krewat’s ) have different stickers , theirs basically stating it “ conforms to ULEV(?) heavy-duty vehicles and OBD-I certified” .Perhaps the source of confusion is that there are only a few OBD-II 2-valve V-10 ‘s around (mostly originated & registered in CA and NY )<o></o>
I checked the V-10 archives , I found at least 4 forum members claimed that their 2-valve V-10 was OBD-II certified .<o></o>
1- Rick –from White Rock ,BC Canada (who happened to purchased a 2002 California V-10 truck which has a sticker saying OBD-II certified (he had the photo of the sticker)<o></o>
2- mwsF250 – He had a 1999 CA truck which had a 3<SUP>rd</SUP> O2 sensor after the cat (OBD II)<o></o>
3- 3000fps –Also said his CA truck 2001 F-250 V-10 has a post-cat O2 sensor<o></o>
4- Wolfboro- the 4<SUP>th</SUP> on the record .<o></o>
We also had the following confusing statements in the V-10 archives ;<o></o>
-“The third O2 sensor is NOT an indicator that you are OBD-I or OBD-II. <o></o>
That's just for checking catalytic converter efficiency, and it doesn't mean anything OBD-I vs. OBD-II. <o></o>
“There is no OBD-II PCM for the 2-valve V10.
It "talks" OBD-II, but isn't "OBD-II compliant"It can't be OBD-II because it can't check the catalyst efficiency<o></o>

So it is not OBD-I or OBD-II anymore ,obviously both kinds exist . If we move forward from here on , what is the difference between these ? I am in a no-inspection & no-emission check state ,so I do not know what is going on at the inspection process . I would like to hear from other members . What happens to OBD-II compliant trucks during the emission test ,are they subjected to same emission test like other OBD-II vehicles (cars) or they get the exemption by their GVWR (weight rating) along with OBD-I trucks ?
Does an OBD-II complaint truck's PCM control more sensors (beyond cat. converter) , do they have more info(error codes) when MIL light come on ?<o></o>
Any info appreciated<o></o>
<o> </o>
<o> </o>
<o> </o>
<o></o>

<o></o>
<o></o>

Old 07-14-2012, 07:44 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Well you made me go look

I have 3 02 sensors one after the cat and one on each side of the Y pipe and my tag reads California OBD-II certified, it also has EGR. I bought the truck in Medford Oregon in September of 2000 and it was a very late production 2000, I was told by a local Ford dealer in Nebraska that did some warranty work on it that it had some 2000 & 2001 electronic parts on it, they reflashed the PCM with the 2001 updates to get rid of some high idle problems.

From the day we bought this truck new it has never run smooth at or close to sea level but when it's back in Nebraska at 2K feet it runs nice and smooth. I also get better mileage than most claim so I wonder if being OBD-II certified makes it run a little leaner

Denny

Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rvpuller,
sorry to hear that you had idling issues many years . Mine was fine from day first, both in high altitude (like CO , MT ) and low ground like FL . Now , you have a "good excuse" to enjoy the high country year round .

Happy traveling,

Old 07-15-2012, 12:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I knew OBD-II V10's did exist, but I thought they were limited to CA. And even then, there are exceptions. Many people wonder why their PCM isn't showing a code for misfires, or some other monitor, and turns out they usually have an OBD-I V10, which is why I made that comment in the other thread.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...f/obdsm307.pdf

That's for 2003 - the one for 2001 says just about the same thing in terms of CA and OBD-II for <14,000 GVWR.

See page 3.

Over the years, when I get an inspection, I have had certain mechanics try to OBD-II test it. It failed. They had to modify the weight code to >8500lbs GVWR. My truck registered as a passenger vehicle, has a weight on the reg of just over 5600lbs, so the inspections equipment thinks it should be OBD-II.

This is in New York. The NYS DMV emissions department (or whatever the heck they are called) know about this issue with >8500lbs GVWR trucks not being OBD-II so they have a specific work-around for it.

If my truck is registered commercially, the inspection equipment KNOWS that it can't do an OBD-II check. Leading to the question: If OBD-II was a requirement in New York for >8500 lbs GVWR, why do they have a specific workaround for it?

Time for a poll

See the sticker image from my V10, taken just today:

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2012, 05:51 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Wolfboro
rvpuller,
sorry to hear that you had idling issues many years . Mine was fine from day first, both in high altitude (like CO , MT ) and low ground like FL . Now , you have a "good excuse" to enjoy the high country year round .

Happy traveling,
Mine doesn't run all that bad at sea level it just runs better at 2K but for the last 6 years we have spent more time at sea level so it just bugs me a little.

Denny

Old 07-15-2012, 05:57 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Denny, any chance you had the "high altitude" calibration? Any idea what the calibration code they put in it is? It should be on a sticker somewhere.

As for "leaner" - I doubt it - they all run "stoich". The key is - EGR - The EGR does seem to help fuel economy, especially in the part-throttle low-to-mid-load area where the EGR is open.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:29 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Krewat
Denny, any chance you had the "high altitude" calibration? Any idea what the calibration code they put in it is? It should be on a sticker somewhere.
I looked but I couldn't find anything, not sure where to look.

Denny

Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
It would probably be right near the emissions conformity sticker, or on the firewall near where the PCM connector is. Or even on the door jamb or pillar.

They are supposed to put sticker on the truck somewhere that says it was reflashed, and it would have the new calibration code on it.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by Krewat
It would probably be right near the emissions conformity sticker, or on the firewall near where the PCM connector is. Or even on the door jamb or pillar.

They are supposed to put sticker on the truck somewhere that says it was reflashed, and it would have the new calibration code on it.
I guess 12 years ago they didn't do that because there isn't anything anywhere.

Denny

Old 07-19-2012, 03:29 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I too have a 2-valve V10 that is OBD-II compliant.
This engine is in a 2000 Excursion limited.
I am in Arizona, but it might be a truck from CA. (not original owner)

I also have 3 O2 sensors. two upstream, one downstream.
There is a sticker on the inside of the hood stating the compliance.

When I take it to emissions, they put it on the roller to measure actual pollutants. It passes with flying colors, very low compared to what the limits say it should be under. One of the values didn't even measure anything, too low for the machine to detect is my guess. (forgot which one)

I do have to say, the engine runs like crap under load. Moderate acceleration results in pinging, if I disable OD it pings more. cruising is fine.

Checked intake, filter, MAF. all clean and tight.

I use an app on my smartphone named torque. It shows the individual emissions monitors. Sometimes the EVAP-system monitor doesn't go to complete for a looooong time. Other times it passes right away. It never causes the check engine light to come on. weird behavior.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
I knew OBD-II V10's did exist, but I thought they were limited to CA.
The so-called "Green States" in the north-east also got the CA emissions versions for a number of years. Check the OBDII manuals for details. Everyone else should have gotten the "Federal" version although I doubt this was strictly adhered to.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by az_r2d1
Yes, I too have a 2-valve V10 that is OBD-II compliant.
This engine is in a 2000 Excursion limited.
I am in Arizona, but it might be a truck from CA. (not original owner)

I also have 3 O2 sensors. two upstream, one downstream.
There is a sticker on the inside of the hood stating the compliance.

When I take it to emissions, they put it on the roller to measure actual pollutants. It passes with flying colors, very low compared to what the limits say it should be under. One of the values didn't even measure anything, too low for the machine to detect is my guess. (forgot which one)

I do have to say, the engine runs like crap under load. Moderate acceleration results in pinging, if I disable OD it pings more. cruising is fine.

I use an app on my smartphone named torque. It shows the individual emissions monitors. Sometimes the EVAP-system monitor doesn't go to complete for a looooong time. Other times it passes right away. It never causes the check engine light to come on. weird behavior.
It will be interesting to see how it runs this winter because we will be spending it in Arizona and Mexico (month of Feb for Mexico). I will have gas form the US side when we are in Mexico at sea level on the Sea of Cortez so I will be able to tell if it's the programming or the fuel at sea level.

Denny

Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
It will be interesting to see how it runs this winter because we will be spending it in Arizona and Mexico (month of Feb for Mexico). I will have gas form the US side when we are in Mexico at sea level on the Sea of Cortez so I will be able to tell if it's the programming or the fuel at sea level.

Denny
I recently filled up in mexico. Used the premium gas (it was 2.90 I think) and it ran great. no issues. Didn't notice any pinging either.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 PM
rvpuller
I recently filled up in mexico. Used the premium gas (it was 2.90 I think) and it ran great. no issues. Didn't notice any pinging either.
We are only going in 62 miles to Puerto Penasco so with my main tank and 50 gal aux we should need to fuel.

Denny

Old 07-20-2012, 08:00 AM
krewat
Site Administrator

That's a classic sign of an EGR not working.

I suspect that even though it's "OBD-II compliant", it still doesn't pay as close attention to things as a passenger car (or anything <8500 lbs GVWR, anyway).

Quick Reply: Krewat- There are OBD-II 2-valve V-10's