Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Drag Race Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Drag Race Story

Hey guys! This is gonna be a LOT of rambling so just bear with me. Some of you know I was going to some dirt drags here in my hometown and heres the story:

Day started off good. I was the first one to register. They finally let us practice run an hour or so after that. I wound the ol 460 up and took it down the track a few times and was not impressed at the slightest! I came up to the light, revved it up some, and dropped the brake. It lugged the rest of the way down the track. My gfs dad was there and he says I already had my torque converter locked in before I was even moving causing the poor performance. Next practice race was against him in his Ford Lightning! So I didnt revv it up at all this time, light turned green and I went from brake to full throttle. It did amazing!!!! I halfway kept up with him lol. This was the start to a good night.

7 pm rolls around and the races begin. We have our drivers meeting and they say 4wds and 2wds were in the same class and its also double elimination (you can lose twice before your out) The next couple hours were 4 wheelers, side by sides, and motorcycles. BORING!!! The event really heated up when the diesels went. They always put on quite a show with their looming black smoke clouds. Had some dang quick trucks there too! Then the good show started: gas powered trucks! I was first in our class and sure enough... they put me up against a thoroughbred flat-out dirt drag racing pick-up. You know? The kind that sitts wayy back, has the built motor and paddle tires. I shook my head knowing good and well this was gonna be loss numero uno. Light goes to green and I get him off the line by a long shot! But of course, he caught up.

My 2nd round comes up and wouldnt you know it... the only other pure bred race truck pulls up next to me. This one was wayyy more hardcore than the other. Super swampers on the back, a good 6 inch drop in the rear, and sounded bad to the bone! Light goes from yellow to green AND... he jumps. Red lit! But I didnt see it and thought for sure I was done. My gf texts me and says he red lit, so I hop back into Roxanne and go again. Pull up next to a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 packin a Hemi. Same guy that won it all last year. I lost of course. Park my truck and start walkin towards the grandstands when an official stops me before I get 10 feet from my truck and says "You number 1?!" "uh... yea". "Theyre waitin on ya!" I didnt ask questions! Hopped back into Roxanne and headed towards the start line. Line up against an old school Chevy 1500. Light goes green and we go! He was manually shifting his automatic and throws it in reverse... I won! Come around the track and they wave me thorugh and I line up again! Pull up next to that same damn truck I raced the very first time. Light goes green and halfway down the track I hear some funny noises from the right lane and hes slowin down. Blew the tranny! I go around the track and theyre wavin me through AGAIN! This time they put me up against a Ford Lightning... My brothers sitting in the drivers seat . I get a good chuckle knowing dang good what the outcome was gonna be. Light turns green and both our exhaust was rackin away. We get off the line about the same but that ol supercharger got me in the top end. He won by about 2 car lengths. I accepted that loss lol. My gf texts me and says "You got 3rd!" I couldnt believe it!! Out of everything that happened that night, God had to have been riding in my passenger seat or somethin! How often do you hear of an old tired F-250 beating $20-30,000 race trucks! I was beyond ecstatic! I had a huge, cheesy smile the rest of the night! I got a trophy, a picture with Miss Richland County, and a whoppin $28 check lol. At least they paid my entrance fee of $20 lol.

In case some of you actually paid attention to my ramblings, youll see I said I lost 3 times. My first race, 3rd race, and last race. Well turns out, on my first race, the guy musta jumped and I didnt realize it and he red lit. I find all this out after the race is done over with lol. You talk about one happy dude! I am still very impressed with my truck! O, and I forgot to mention, I did all this spinnin ONE tire! Iv got an open diff, and I couldnt get my 4wd to engage! It was a good night

Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
big vann
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good write up.Now where's the pic of Miss Richland County.Sounds like you had a great night.It's not always the fastest vehicle that wins a drag race as traction plays a huge role.What happened to your 4wd?Transfercase?Hubs?If it was working properly,that lightning might not have won.It's fun to beat the Pro's though,isn't it?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:31 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wanna wake up that ol 460. I put a Vortech supercharger on my new '96 SC DRW truck. It ran 15.8's without any other work. Back then the Lightnings were only going mid 15's, so they couldn't believe my big ol dually was running with them.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:31 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
Iv seen/heard a trubod 460 on YouTube. Orgasmic!!! I want one but dont have the 5 grand to do it.

As for 4WD... I managed to get stuck with the auto-hubs. Theyre notorious for being one of Fords poorer designs... Definitly high on my list of mods

Old 07-12-2012, 09:53 PM
fordka
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thats freaking awsome. wish i had that luck tractor pulling

Old 07-12-2012, 10:23 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
It was ALL luck lol. Everyone is amazed I made it as far as I did. In all honesty, I shoulda been done after my 2nd race lol