6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Best Custom Tunes Dealer? Anyone???

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
KingRanch2004
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Best Custom Tunes Dealer? Anyone???

Looking for the BEST custom tune dealer, especially with tow issues....

Old 07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 976 Posts
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
I'm using Matt's SRL+. Runs great.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Flyinstroke
Elder User
Matt @ Gearhead. tell him how much you are towing and all the mods and he will make your tune to suit your needs. My tow tune works great. Really like the SRL

Old 07-12-2012, 05:04 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanch2004
Looking for the BEST custom tune dealer, especially with tow issues....
Well I take it since you have posted this that your concerns have been alleviated from the detrimental long term effects of tuning a 6.0.

Any of the respected tuners out there for the SCT should be able to take care of what towing needs that you have. I don't really think there really is much of a price difference among them, but I haven't used SCT in a few yrs so I don't really know all the players anymore with that device.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
joe blow
Cargo Master
Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
I use Matt's tunes as well....you can get his 3 tune package for 100.00 . His shifting is the best on this board.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:19 PM
KingRanch2004
New User
Well, as far as my concerns I have spoken to several people that use them and they have never had any problems because they drive it the way it should be driven. Frankly, there are as many people who say it will be a problem as there are that say they wont. I went to several mechanics and they all said that it will not damage the engine as long as I watch my temps and drive it sensibly. I am gonna give Matt a try and see how the 8k tow tune works out.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:45 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,448 Likes on 1,696 Posts
It amazes me that you state you want 300k reliable miles, yet you ignore warnings of too much power (other thread), black onyx gaskets, and the fact that you have turbo issues (if you previously posted correct info regarding properly tightened boots blowing off on stock programming).

Most people ask - how do you know BO gaskets are trouble when they are warned. Then we could show you a thread where measurements were taken showing it to be thinner (and besides, many reputable shops are no longer installing them).

I see no questions regarding the advice that too much power will cause issues with fuel delivery .............. first sign will be low fuel pressure which will significantly jeopardize the injectors. Besides that, the stock transmission will not hold up to 500 hp. That creates the impression that you feel you already know what you are going to do. If so - then do it and good luck.

Just a gut feel, but did you get the engine work done in Georgia .... ?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bismic
you big meanie.
a cheap shot, but very well aimed.

everyone brings something to the party, and you can
learn from everyone.... i've had a number of folks here
very gently suggest that running the banks IQ is not
in my best interest, but i've ignored that, 'cause it's
paid for, and installed among other chrome plated
BS reasons, ignoring the accurate advice of more
experienced people.

so, i've got a call into matt, to see if i can turn the banks
to the stock setting, so it does nothing, and i can just use
it for the gauges, and run a tune of his, with a +40 atlas
on the ficm.

so, the OP has helped me more than he knows, and i owe
him a debt of gratitude. i looked at his unwillingness to
acknowledge the obvious, and it looked too close to my own
for comfort.

but... but... but.... the banks was $900 installed.... i sputtered...
better to throw $900 in the trash, then to dance thru the
powertrain again.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:28 PM
KingRanch2004
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
It amazes me that you state you want 300k reliable miles, yet you ignore warnings of too much power (other thread), black onyx gaskets, and the fact that you have turbo issues (if you previously posted correct info regarding properly tightened boots blowing off on stock programming).

Most people ask - how do you know BO gaskets are trouble when they are warned. Then we could show you a thread where measurements were taken showing it to be thinner (and besides, many reputable shops are no longer installing them).

I see no questions regarding the advice that too much power will cause issues with fuel delivery .............. first sign will be low fuel pressure which will significantly jeopardize the injectors. Besides that, the stock transmission will not hold up to 500 hp. That creates the impression that you feel you already know what you are going to do. If so - then do it and good luck.

When i said the 150 hp comment i did not mean i was going to tow with that or run it all of the time. I plan on running a higher tune when NOT under tow and i drive responsibly. Trust me when i say i am not ignoring signs! I have put a ton of money into this 6.0 to hopefully prevent the notorious problems with this engine, although i am already a little put off by it. As far as the turbo problem, its not actually the turbo. The turbo i just had installed is a brand new garrett powermax and it isnt but a week old. The problem was the hose keeps popping off and from what i have been reading that is a common problem that is hard to fix. Wish like hell i had an answer for that on. Maybe i can do some sanding and cleaning, apply a new hose with some epoxy, tighten the sh%t out of it and it will work. I am at a loss as to wether i should sell this and go to a dodge or keep it. For the price i bought it for i could still make money. No, the repair work was not in Georgia.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM
KingRanch2004
New User
Originally Posted by Fulthrotl
you big meanie.
a cheap shot, but very well aimed.

everyone brings something to the party, and you can
learn from everyone.... i've had a number of folks here
very gently suggest that running the banks IQ is not
in my best interest, but i've ignored that, 'cause it's
paid for, and installed among other chrome plated
BS reasons, ignoring the accurate advice of more
experienced people.

so, i've got a call into matt, to see if i can turn the banks
to the stock setting, so it does nothing, and i can just use
it for the gauges, and run a tune of his, with a +40 atlas
on the ficm.

so, the OP has helped me more than he knows, and i owe
him a debt of gratitude. i looked at his unwillingness to
acknowledge the obvious, and it looked too close to my own
for comfort.

but... but... but.... the banks was $900 installed.... i sputtered...
better to throw $900 in the trash, then to dance thru the
powertrain again.
I took advice and called Gearhead. They are making me a custom tune for my SCT for towing purposes. I am not going to run a high tune for that.! I also had some lengthy conversation with them on the do's and dont's and i took heed. They informed me that using custom tunes are ok and will not damage the engine as long as you dont drive it like you stole it all of the time. As i said in another post i am contemplating just selling my 2004 f350 (king ranch) dually with 37,000 miles, that i bought about a month ago) and go to a different line of trucks. Especially after reading a lot of stuff on here.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
When i said the 150 hp comment i did not mean i was going to tow with that or run it all of the time. I plan on running a higher tune when NOT under tow and i drive responsibly.
I'm sorry if I have a hard time with that one. It's going to be harder then you think to drive light with the skinny pedal after getting your new found power especially initially.

Trust me when i say i am not ignoring signs! I have put a ton of money into this 6.0 to hopefully prevent the notorious problems with this engine, although i am already a little put off by it.
Black Onyx gaskets though are pot luck though. You might have good ones, you might not. Also some of the supposedly notorious problems aren't really so, but I digress on that one.

As far as the turbo problem, its not actually the turbo. The turbo i just had installed is a brand new garrett powermax and it isnt but a week old. The problem was the hose keeps popping off and from what i have been reading that is a common problem that is hard to fix.
Really? That just doesn't sound right.

64mm turbo in my truck. Other then the turbo and the turbo pedestal everything else just bolted up right to it. Never had a hose blow off and I'm pushing at max 52 PSI of boost when I really get on it. Unless there is a physical issue, but this is the first I'm hearing of this problem.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Fulthrotl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tex25025
but I haven't used SCT in a few yrs so I don't really
know all the players anymore with that device.
however, it seems you pull pretty heavy loads,
and you are running more power than most folks
here, and seem to have been doing it for a pretty
long while.....

what are you running to make that work for you?
i looked at your profile, but not many details
other than injectors and turbo change.

do you have a thread somewhere where you have
your cookie recipe for the perfect 6.0L?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend

what are you running to make that work for you?
i looked at your profile, but not many details
other than injectors and turbo change.
I used to have it in my siggy, but it was getting too long with everything.

ARP Studs
Ford Gaskets
ITP's Fuel Regulated Return
Fluidampner
FASS 150/180
Suncoast Heavy Duty Rebuild
64mm Non-VGT Turbo
Spartan Stage I Injectors (155mm^3)
Spartan Phalanx Tuner (doubles as OBD-II gauge)
TFT, ECT, Boost, Volts, Oil PSI, EGT, and Fuel PSI gauges

do you have a thread somewhere where you have
your cookie recipe for the perfect 6.0L?
Nothing in one concise spot (atleast not that I can remember) just spread out all over in various posts.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:45 PM
KingRanch2004
New User
Originally Posted by tex25025
I'm sorry if I have a hard time with that one. It's going to be harder then you think to drive light with the skinny pedal after getting your new found power especially initially.

Black Onyx gaskets though are pot luck though. You might have good ones, you might not. Also some of the supposedly notorious problems aren't really so, but I digress on that one.

Really? That just doesn't sound right.

64mm turbo in my truck. Other then the turbo and the turbo pedestal everything else just bolted up right to it. Never had a hose blow off and I'm pushing at max 52 PSI of boost when I really get on it. Unless there is a physical issue, but this is the first I'm hearing of this problem.
52psi of boost is pretty dag on impressive. There are a lot of forums on here about the hoses blowing off. They get oily and just blow and a ton of people have experienced this problem. Just google it and you will find the forums.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Custom Tunes Dealer? Anyone???