Sponsored by:

Thanks FTE! New Excursion, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks FTE! New Excursion, pics inside

I posted a couple months ago about getting a V-10 Excursion and here is what I ended up with, it's an 01' limited 4x4 with 102,000 miles. Got it from a Ford dealer so I paid a little more but it is super clean, they did the door lock actuators, front pinion seal, break pads, battery, all fluids, under coating and full detail as usual. The coils and fuel rails look very new aswell.

First things I have noticed, for a large truck it rips fairly good and has awsome throttle response. It drives straight and has none of the steering wheel movement or slop that can be an issue. The rear window lock always unlocks but is hit or miss on locking. It does need some different springs upfont as its low and speed bumps are harsh. This is my daily driver and my temporary tow rig, my last trip it was 17,100lbs and handled it ok except for the huge mountain grades, need taller gears to keep the speed, almost was dissapointed in the V-10's power on the big hills but I think the weight and gearing is too far apart for what I was doing. Air bags and onboard air is next for sure.

First mod was a 2 chamber flowmaster 3" inlet-dual 2.5" outlets, very happy with the sound as its nice and aggesive at higher revs but just cruising around its not too loud or anoying.

Second mod was the Tekonsha brake controller, best controller I have ever used and has very nice features. Well worth it.

Then I did the front headlights, I had these set aside for my superduty but they made there way the the Excursion and I think for a free mod its much better.

While I did the lights I did the front hitch, easy install and cheap too. Makes moving the trailer into tight spots that much easier, and I put my dirt bike rack on it too (although I need to make another rack cause its too dam tall!)

I wanted to have the use of the trailer brakes if I moved the trailer from the front, so I bought a 5th wheel 7-way extension kit for a superduty pickup, and cut it open and soldered and extended that another 10ft or so to reach the front of the truck. Now I can use both plugs at the same time if needed, I plan on adding some lights to my new bike rack to help out at night so this will come in handy for that aswell. Have yet to mount it in the truck as of now.

Overall very happy with the truck, thanks for the tips guys enjoy!

Like I said I am building a new rack for the front as yes it was sketchy to see around the bike!

V-10 Ford Excursion flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust - YouTube

Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
awesome pictures and a great job - the front hitch is terrific.

Welcome to FTE

Old 07-08-2012, 03:41 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
great looking truck! love the mods. very clean looking also.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:19 PM
RideNaked
Junior User
VERY nice rig!!! How much weight will your dirt bike rack support? I've got a Ninja that I want to take with me but it weighs in at 500 pounds with no gas.....

Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by RideNaked
VERY nice rig!!! How much weight will your dirt bike rack support? I've got a Ninja that I want to take with me but it weighs in at 500 pounds with no gas.....
Thanks guys!

The rack is overkill and would support the street bike but would be over the limit for the front hitch and would need to be used in the rear. The front is rated for 300lbs and when I bought it I was surprised at how beefy looking it was, but with my rack sticking so far out it has so much leverage, and the rack itself is 150lbs + 250lbs or more of bike it does flex the hitch more than I like. I am building an aluminum one dedicated for the front with a drop on it to lower the bike another 10-12 inches, also it will be way lighter and closer in to the hitch to reduce leverage and flex.

My travel trailer is 800lbs tongue weight and is way over its capacity but being used only for small maneuvers its just fine.

Anyone have any suggestions on must have or should or could have mods? Lets hear em'!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice! I want one of those front hitches so bad.

Made up your mind which spring pack your going with? Most of the X guys run modded springs, but I almost think you'd be better suited running SD "c" codes out back. Even with airbags, that's alot of trailer

Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Here is the link to the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00076RLHW/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1341792505&sr=1-2

Do I really need to upgrade to a heavier spring if I go to air bags? I do need to bring the front up for sure though.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Those sure look like the factory Steeltex tires that were recalled. You may want to think about replacing those, even though the recall period has run out.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 AM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
WOW!

I just googled that and yup it sure looks that way! I only have 50% or so left so I have figured I would replace all of them next year but I guess I might just switch over the 35" Toyo's from my super duty for a while until I cough up for new rubber.

Thanks, Todd

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Those ARE NOT the recalled tires. They are the Firestone replacements for the recalled tires. I got those tires for free from Firestone because of the recall and I got about 60,000 miles out of them. I still have that tire as my spare in fact...completely virgin.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
king-david
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice looking rig

Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM
kconrad
Senior User
hotrodtodd, what muffler did you go with from Flowmaster? I am looking to get a new muffler but the wife does not want it too loud. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my Dodge and that was too loud for her.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:52 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Nice set up!

How did you manage to install the front receiver using their supplied bolts? I had a tough time so I mounted them on the outside at first. Then I went and got OEM bolts and retainers to give it a factory look. Had to drill into the bumper for my license plate.

Here is mine.

I've changed my grille since then. Also have a Nomad trailer.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 PM
hotrodtodd
Senior User
Originally Posted by kconrad
hotrodtodd, what muffler did you go with from Flowmaster? I am looking to get a new muffler but the wife does not want it too loud. I had a Flowmaster 40 series on my Dodge and that was too loud for her.
Thanks guys, it is a 40 series but I am also running the cat, and I guess it depends on your style of driving, I like the windows down almost all the time unless its frozen outside and the stereo + subs up so its only noticable when you pay attention to it, but if you drive with the windows up and some AC or stereo then its not noticable very much at all.

I would not change it and love the sound, the muffler shop told me to return the muffler and that my wife would hate life in it but she likes it and doesnt complain. Also might help that the tips are right at the back bumper facing straight back, it is loud from outside but again not too bad inside.

Originally Posted by jh818
Nice set up!

How did you manage to install the front receiver using their supplied bolts? I had a tough time so I mounted them on the outside at first. Then I went and got OEM bolts and retainers to give it a factory look. Had to drill into the bumper for my license plate.

Here is mine.

I've changed my grille since then. Also have a Nomad trailer.
I used the nuts supplied, they had the tabs welded on to them so you can bend them all around so you can snake them in behind the bolts, a bit tricky but doable.

Here is what I made for my plate, I didnt want it to hang down too low and get in the way and its easy to remove, most people dont realize I have a hitch behind the plate.

Thats funny how big is your nomad? I have an 09' with 08' graffics and interior, when I ordered it they were changing the look so I had the choice of new or old and went with this.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM
AzSuperDuty
Senior User
Can you put a receiver hitch on the back of the trailer and mount your bike back there?

Quick Reply: Thanks FTE! New Excursion, pics inside