Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

2008 Ford Edge A/C stops blowing cold.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM
SwetnBullets
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Ford Edge A/C stops blowing cold.

I have a 2008 Ford Edge. The air conditioner starts off working fine, but while driving, it stops blowing cold air. Volume of air stays the same, it's just not cold. It may or may not get cold again during the same drive cycle.

Dealer has replaced the electric cooling fan but it didn't fix the problem. Just wanted to know if anybody experience with this problem, and maybe offer a fix.

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Normally when you speed up the motor and the air conditioner "cuts out" it is because it is a little low on gas (R134). THe pump running faster, sucks more, and the low side pressure drops below 25 psi and the low pressure switch shuts off the compressor. You need to put a set of gauges on and test the pressure on the hi and low sides. Do this at idle, then speed the motor up to 1800 RPM and watch the pressure for 60 seconds to see that it maintains proper R134 pressure.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
Definitely get it looked at since we experienced the same symptoms (air not cold enough). My wife's 2007 Ford Edge had 3+ issues with the A/C, and I can tell you what our dealer found. The first time we had an issue was when the vehicle was almost brand new. We would have to turn the AC on setting 3 or 4 to get just a little cold feeling, and the dealer replaced the nut or screw that splits off one of the hoses. We were told that it was a bad design, and the nut/screw was stripped, which caused the AC R-12 (or whatever they use now) to leak out. The problem persisted, and the second time the vehicle was serviced, we were told that the hose was warped (but a better design had been issued now, or something to that effect). The dealer replaced the hose and added the R-12, or whatever again. A couple years later, I was having the same issue, and this time, there was an issue with the heat not fully warming the vehicle. Sometimes the problem was that the vehicle would get hot, then cool-off, other times, the vehicle's heat never fully warmed up. I had the Extended Warranty with $100 deductible, yet Ford wanted $110 just to look at the vehicle and diagnose. So, an independent shop was trying to figure out the problem, and the mechanic thought it odd with less than 60K miles that something like the heater core or water pump would be the problem. I paid like $78 to have the thermostat replaced which was "most likely the problem". They noted that the coolant was very dirty, eventhough it was flushed at 50K by the dealer, who used the recommended 100K quality stuff. That still didn't solved the problem, and I found online that there is a known problem with the heater core for all 2007-2011/2012 Edge's and Lincoln MKX's. Evidently, the cores were improperly coated at the factory, and not allowing the coolant to properly flow. Further a silent recall was actually being issued. Ironically, we never got a notice eventhough some users on a My Ford Edge - The Premier Ford Edge Enthusiast Site were now commenting about having issues or receiving the notice. My first step was taking the vehicle back to the independent shop that performed the thermostat swap to verify that the thermostat was functioning. Also, they traced their steps, and I saw through the window the tech using a flashlight underneath the vehicle on the rack looking for hose punctures,leakage, or any other sign of malfunction. On a side-note, the service-writer found online what I had found about heater core's being bad, the tech. re-testdrove the vehicle, and again determined (with a hand-held thermometer) that the vehicle was warming-up only to just stop producing heat -- esp. at a stop-light. Therefore, acc. to his diagnosis, a blockage must have occurred somewhere. Further diagnosis revealed that the coolant was again "very dirty", and after only 1,000 miles or so. As a what-do-I-do next move, the tech. removed the heater core and was shocked at the discovery -- it was rusty and disintegrated, so now it became a warranty issue and the dealer had to be involved. I scheduled an appt. with the dealer the next day, but they couldn't find a problem because the independent shop had "cleaned up the core by blowing air into it". I was informed that the dealer was aware that certain models were "adversely affected", and as a courtesy, they were replacing affected heater cores out of warranty up to 100K at no cost to the owner -- as long as the dealer was made aware and tried dealing with the situation in other ways, like in our case. But, since they couldn't find the problem that day, I was told that I'f it reoccurred to, "come back immediately" because they weren't going to just replace parts that someone else said were bad. Needless-to-say, I knew that I would be back, I just didn't know when, and less than a month later, I was driving with no heat. I took the vehicle back to the dealer where they replaced free of charge to me the heater core, and the rest is history. Sorry that the post was so long, and I hope that I helped.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
starleyjo
New User
2007 Ford Edge won't blow cold while idleing

I bought my Ford Edge 2007 used last year. I live up in North Texas where we had 100's days of heat. It started last year, but I thought becuase it was so dang hot outside it wasn't gonna get cooler until the temps dropped. Then this summer, with 100's days of heat again...I noticed it is doing the same thing, but now worse. I also have had my temperature gage go to Hot one day a few weeks ago while driving. When the temperatures are in the 90's -80's the A/C blows cold air fine. SO, my question is ...is this a freon thing? or is it a defect such as a Heater Core like mentioned in the previous forum?