Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009 - 2014 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM
New User

Michael Alio is starting off with a positive reputation.
F150 XLT Supercrew V-8

So I am about ready to purchase the truck noted in title. I have a 2001 Tundra Access Cab and until this year had no major problems. At 140K the transmission and converter went out without ever towing anything.

So I am torn between the 2012 Supercrew Tundra and F150. Any opinions on the 2012 truck?

I have what I feel is a good price. $30K for the XLT with the 6.5 foot bed, XLT convenience, tow, and chrome package, trailer brake, heated mirrors, power rear sliding window, driver side keyless entry, XLT plus package. Buying in California.

Any opinions before I jump from Toyota? can I expect the same dependability? I do the maintenance on schedule. Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Elder User

TheWhiteBeast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Go Ford! If you're in the central valley I can hook you up with the salesman I use.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:48 PM
New User

Thanks but I am in SoCal and using Edmunds.com to obtain internet quotes from competing dealers before I go in and try to haggle them down!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Elder User

TheWhiteBeast is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There are a few organizations you can join and get an x plan pin and save yourself some money.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:11 PM
New User

can you tell me the organizations? Going to google also! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Senior User

BigDfromTN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.BigDfromTN is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Michael, Welcome to FTE.

I cant speak vs a Toyota.

I went from an 06 F150 to an 11 F150 Ecoboost. Love the truck.
Be aware, the 6 speed has some oddities that may not feel just right at first. It is most likely just fine. Mine has 24K on the clock and running strong.

The Best to ya!

2010 Expedition LTD. Fully loaded 4X2.

1965 F100 Blue&White 6cyl Three on tree (previously my Grandfathers)
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Junior User

Jay87LX is starting off with a positive reputation.
what was the original sticker on the truck before you arrived at the $30K price?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Elder User

FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.
Go with the Ford. They build good trucks. I also think the Ford is better looking.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Posting Guru

Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.Greg B has a good reputation on FTE.
My experience with Ford trucks is that they are very reliable. Like all makes they have their strong points and weaknesses. But I have never had any major problems with any of the many Ford trucks that I have owned. A few gripes, yes. But no major problems at all.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Junior User

glass_joe099 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm not about to bash Toyota, I own an Avalon that has 160,000 roughly and nary a hiccup (knock on wood) and I know plenty of people who put well over 250K on various Toyotas. However when it comes to trucks Ford is where its at in my humble opinion.

It all started with a 1994 Ford F-150 XLT I bought used with about 80K on it. It had a short bed and regular cab. I took that truck everywhere, camping, skiing, hunting, you name it I did it except tow and plow. It owed me nothing and saved my life at 198K when I got rear ended on the highway by some dope who was yapping on a cell phone. I was at a near dead stop in bumper to bumper traffic and he blasted me doing at least 50. His car was in pieces, the car I ended up slamming into from behind had an accordion where the trunk was. My truck you'd never know it just destroyed two cars. The rear bumper folded over and ended up in the gas tank. The front end had some cracks in the grill. It bent in half slightly and blew out the full glass back. I was sold. The only major maintenance I did on it was a fully rebuilt transmission.

Second truck a 1998 F-250 XLT light duty. It had 144K when I bought it and 297K when I recently sold it. On top of all the above activities this time I did plow with it and towed a 20' boat quite often. The engine was starting to show signs of severe wear and tear at about 270K, a valve tick, burning oil (no smoke only evidence on the plug in the #7 cylinder.) No major repairs at all. Original tranny, original motor, original rear end.

That brings us to today where I recently (February) purchased a pre-owned 2011 F-150 XLT with about 12,700 miles on it. It was previously owned by Enterprise Rental company. The truck rolled off the factory floor in June of 2011. I paid $28,500 for it plus all the added fees and other rip offs every dealer hits you with. It has the full bumper to bumper warranty until I hit 35K and power train expires at 60K. I flat out love this truck. I do mostly highway driving with it back and forth to work and I'm getting between 17 and 18 mpg. I average at least 70mph for 70 miles round trip five days a week. I have yet to tow with it but my mechanic who owns the similar truck a few years older has towed a camper with his and says you'd never know there was anything on the back. It handles like a dream, has a ton of room in the backseat (its a super crew cab) plenty of power and is one damn fine looking vehicle at that. I've never owned a Ford that I did not put well over 170K on the odometer. Usually I sold it because I got sick of driving it.

If you are happy with the price and happy with the look of the truck you will not be disappointed with its performance.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I think you'd do well either way but I must give more weight towards the F-150.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay87LX View Post
what was the original sticker on the truck before you arrived at the $30K price?
MSRP is $37,295, truck comes with XLT convenience, XLT plus, tow, chrome packages, plus the keyless driver side entry, and trailer brake controller.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE View Post
Go with the Ford. They build good trucks. I also think the Ford is better looking.
I agree. I love the look the chromed out look of the XLT and do not really care for the Tundra front end. But I do know after speaking to lots of dealers yesterday, you get a lot more for your money with the Ford. Seems Tundra has fallen behind in that respect and they nickle and dome you for the add ons.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_joe099 View Post
I'm not about to bash Toyota, I own an Avalon that has 160,000 roughly and nary a hiccup (knock on wood) and I know plenty of people who put well over 250K on various Toyotas. However when it comes to trucks Ford is where its at in my humble opinion.

It all started with a 1994 Ford F-150 XLT I bought used with about 80K on it. It had a short bed and regular cab. I took that truck everywhere, camping, skiing, hunting, you name it I did it except tow and plow. It owed me nothing and saved my life at 198K when I got rear ended on the highway by some dope who was yapping on a cell phone. I was at a near dead stop in bumper to bumper traffic and he blasted me doing at least 50. His car was in pieces, the car I ended up slamming into from behind had an accordion where the trunk was. My truck you'd never know it just destroyed two cars. The rear bumper folded over and ended up in the gas tank. The front end had some cracks in the grill. It bent in half slightly and blew out the full glass back. I was sold. The only major maintenance I did on it was a fully rebuilt transmission.

Second truck a 1998 F-250 XLT light duty. It had 144K when I bought it and 297K when I recently sold it. On top of all the above activities this time I did plow with it and towed a 20' boat quite often. The engine was starting to show signs of severe wear and tear at about 270K, a valve tick, burning oil (no smoke only evidence on the plug in the #7 cylinder.) No major repairs at all. Original tranny, original motor, original rear end.

That brings us to today where I recently (February) purchased a pre-owned 2011 F-150 XLT with about 12,700 miles on it. It was previously owned by Enterprise Rental company. The truck rolled off the factory floor in June of 2011. I paid $28,500 for it plus all the added fees and other rip offs every dealer hits you with. It has the full bumper to bumper warranty until I hit 35K and power train expires at 60K. I flat out love this truck. I do mostly highway driving with it back and forth to work and I'm getting between 17 and 18 mpg. I average at least 70mph for 70 miles round trip five days a week. I have yet to tow with it but my mechanic who owns the similar truck a few years older has towed a camper with his and says you'd never know there was anything on the back. It handles like a dream, has a ton of room in the backseat (its a super crew cab) plenty of power and is one damn fine looking vehicle at that. I've never owned a Ford that I did not put well over 170K on the odometer. Usually I sold it because I got sick of driving it.

If you are happy with the price and happy with the look of the truck you will not be disappointed with its performance.
Thank you for your insight! Glad you like your XLT because that is what I am shooting for. I will probably tow a 20 foot pop trailer with it on occasion and know it will do it with ease.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Elder User

FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.FORD COASTIE has a very good reputation on FTE.
You will definitely like the driver's door key pad. I think it's one of the best features Ford has.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM