Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling the 460 out for some maintainance!!! Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 08:00 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pulling the 460 out for some maintainance!!! Pictures

Started getting the truck ready to pull the motor tonight!! got the hood off, radiator, shroud, fan, wire harness, battery, starter cables, power steering lines, vacuum lines, throttle cable and a bunch of a other small things.

I am going to pick up an engine hoist and stand tomorrow morning and try and get the motor out tomorrow night. I am doing the following:

oil pan, oil pump, rear main seal, clutch, headers, air pump delete and any other stuff that comes up and needs replacing.

Ill post some pictures tonight and more along the way!!!

EDIT:
New stuff being replace:

main bearings, rod bearings, head gaskets, manifold studs and of course a bunch of gaskets. more pictures on page 2 and much much more to come

Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
Old 07-07-2012, 10:53 PM
PatsPOS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's easy for me to say this, since I'm not doing the work or spending the money...but if you have the oil pan off anyway, it might be worth popping a rod and a main cap to check the bearings. It's probably not worth the hassle if you're not pulling the heads off, but new piston rings never hurt 'nuthin!

I haven't priced the parts lately, but if you reuse your cam and pistons, you're probably talking around $800 for a rebuild. Just a thought, and keep the pics coming!
Pat

Old 07-08-2012, 02:37 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
Likely I am not going to do rings, the truck only has 49k miles and runs great. But I will check the bearings!

Also a few questions. Do you guys know how many bolts mate the tranny to the motor? I have everything ready to go other than the motor mount bolts and unbolting the motor from the tranny. But when I am crawling under the truck I dont really see the obvious pattern of bolts. Do I need to pull anything off of the truck from the under side other than the exhaust?

This is my first time pulling a motor, but I have done a few clutches in cars in the past. So I am familiar with unbolting the tranny from the motor on smaller cars. Hoping to have the motor pulled tonight if all goes well.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:54 PM
90f150302
Junior User
there should be 6 bolts for the transmission to engine... 2 on each side and 2 across the top. plus if there is any smaller bolts holding the thin plate between engine and transmission

Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
awesome got all those bolts off, can't tell if the starter need to come off though.

Does that plate come off with the motor or does it stay against the tranny? Basically the starter is holding that plate to the tranny and if it needs to be removed with the motor its not going to detach.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05victorylly
awesome got all those bolts off, can't tell if the starter need to come off though.

Does that plate come off with the motor or does it stay against the tranny? Basically the starter is holding that plate to the tranny and if it needs to be removed with the motor its not going to detach.
The plate stays with the engine, and the starter does have to come off...

Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
alright, thanks a lot for the quick advice!! hopefully my next post will be pictures of a motor hanging from a cherry picker!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
alright so im having a hell of a time with starter!! one bolt came out easy and other other just broke off and now the starter is stuck in there. The shaft of the bolt is seized in the case and when trying to get the starter out the corner of the tranny case broke off. you can see it in the picture.

I figure some pb blaster and some heat and then trying to punch the shaft out in order to free up the starter....any input guys???

plank to lay on:

top bolts:

starter bolt shaft is seized and the corner of the case broke off....FML

Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM
dcarnut1
Freshman User
Bummer! That happened on my 94, but my trans housing did not break. I had enough room between the housing and the plate to slip a sawsall blade in. I cut the bolt, removed the starter, and then removed the bolt after the trans was out.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
I really need some advice here guys. I can't get this broken off bolt out and get the starter out. Its just seized in the tranny case and wont push out. The only thing holding it in is fact that its all seized up between the threads and the tranny housing, the bolt head is gone.

I tried soaking in pb blaster and then pounding on it trying to push it through, I tried heat and trying to rock the starter. Nothing is working. There are only 2 starter bolts correct? I could only find two, the bottom one came off super easy but the top one in the picture is very suborn.

Any advice on how to get whats left of this bolt out and my starter removed? Motor is ready to pull just waiting on the starter removal.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 AM
wicat3
Elder User
Not sure how much room you have or what you have to work with but you could try to drill out the bolt making a small hole then working your way up a bit bigger. Or get a small cutting wheel between the starter and tranny housing?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
05victorylly
Senior User
there is zero space between the case and starter so I think my only option is to get my right angle drill in there and gentle drill it out.

those starter bolts are not hardened right? should just be regular bolts i assume.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 PM
wicat3
Elder User
Not sure if they are or not either way its not going to be fun

Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 PM
05victorylly
Senior User
MOTOR IS OUT!!!!

Well I finally got the motor out of the truck!!! Starter was a major pain in the ***, ended up just pounding the bolt shaft out until i had a gap between the starter and the tranny housing and then just fatiguing the bolt till it snapped off.

My engine hoist I bough on craigslist ended up being a piece of junk so i just used the tractor to lift it out and turns out the engine stand I bought is also a piece as it bends like crazy with the weight of the motor on it. So I need to find a better one tomorrow.

I blocked up the bucket of the tractor so its not supporting the weight all night and doesn't drop down. Tomorrow I will clean everything and get the flywheel resurfaced and pull all the old parts off. I will also clean and coat the frame in the engine bay.

Wednesday will be the the day of installing the new parts like pan, pump, clutch headers etc.

Let me know what you guys think!!!

Quick Reply: Pulling the 460 out for some maintainance!!! Pictures