6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Extended oil changes...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM
mach8274
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended oil changes...

How long is everyone going between oil changes?? The dealer did the first oil change in my truck at 3k, I did it again at 8k and now at 15k. I took a sample and sent it in to Blackstone labs this time. I use Rotella T6 5w-40. Just wondering how many of you go beyond the 5k mark. Does anyone go 10k on an oil change?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
My first oil change was at 7,200 mi per the trucks oil monitor, I am now at 11,000 +. I think I will do a sample next change jsut to see how things are doing.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
lundman
Senior User
oil life

I have learned that changing the oil is very important for the life and health of the engine. Whether it is the ATV or any 4 stroke or any vehicle. The question you ask is when to change without doing it too early and paying extra bucks? I have been changing mine at 10,000 kms, which is 6,200 miles, and before the message centre lets me know time for a change. Using quality oil and filter, keeping the oil changes consistent, help give me piece of mind. Of course many factors affect when an oil change is required. Driving conditions (the way you drive, towing, and the climate, etc., may all affect the interval. With the oil monitoring system it will remind you it is time to get the oil changed. I would have liked to see the oil system they use in some other vehicles in my F-250 where it will let you know by percentage how much oil life you have left or what percentage you have used up. (80% used for example) Keep the oil clean, use quality products, and that will go a long way in the life of your engine and your piece of mind.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lundman
I have learned that changing the oil is very important for the life and health of the engine. Whether it is the ATV or any 4 stroke or any vehicle. The question you ask is when to change without doing it too early and paying extra bucks? I have been changing mine at 10,000 kms, which is 6,200 miles, and before the message centre lets me know time for a change. Using quality oil and filter, keeping the oil changes consistent, help give me piece of mind. Of course many factors affect when an oil change is required. Driving conditions (the way you drive, towing, and the climate, etc., may all affect the interval. With the oil monitoring system it will remind you it is time to get the oil changed. I would have liked to see the oil system they use in some other vehicles in my F-250 where it will let you know by percentage how much oil life you have left or what percentage you have used up. (80% used for example) Keep the oil clean, use quality products, and that will go a long way in the life of your engine and your piece of mind.
the oil life info is in the information center, system check section, on vehicles with the enhanced info center. Page 47 of the owners guide (rev 3)

Sam

Old 07-07-2012, 08:46 AM
lundman
Senior User
oil life

Yea, I know about the message system check and how to scroll to get there. But all it will say is oil ok, or oil change soon, or change oil. Not specific about how much oil like is left.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 AM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
I wouldn't go with a 10k mile OCI without a UOA to get me there. Even if the OLM system said I could 10k miles.

If you want to go that far I would extend my OCI 2k miles every oil change and get a UOA every time to tell you how far you can go.

The major contributors to consider when extending your OCI is:
1. Wear Metals
2. TBN level
3. Fuel %
4. Viscosity

Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM
TxFordGuy1
Senior User
I'm with the 5k crowd

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I change at 5k every time.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:41 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I change between 5k and 6k.
With the exception of last oil change due to a bunch of idling (which turned out to be a non-issue) I keep going a few hundred more miles each time.
My computer alerts between 6900 and 7200.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:01 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do it when the truck tells me too. Usually between 7,000 and 7,500 miles.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:05 PM
mikespecht
Senior User
I do it when the light comes on too, just like it says in the owners manual. Think it is round 7-8k.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM
jermort
Senior User
Changing oil every 3 to 5K miles is a waste of money on modern motors and modern oil and modern filters. The oil life monitor (OLM) is engineered to tell us when we should change oil. For me, average miles per the OLM has been ~8.5K.
Realistically, Ford warranties these motors for 100K miles, and that is using the OLM. They are not going to go out on a limb and risk replacing these motors by telling us to use the OLM!
Save some $$, use the OLM and change when it notifies you.

JMHO!

jammer

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Rick Cargo
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Maintenance schedule in the owners manual says change every 7,500 miles. My truck is 2 years old and this is the first diesel I have owned so I'm following the recommended maintenance schedule.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 PM
Andrew010
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jermort
Changing oil every 3 to 5K miles is a waste of money on modern motors and modern oil and modern filters.
That's not entirely true. A lot depends on what you do with your truck, such as idle time, city driving, etc. The OLM can be trusted to some degree but common sense has to come into play at some point as well.

If you idle your truck for long periods, drive in town and never get the engine fully up to temp and things like that your oil should be changed more often. Maybe the truck will tell you sooner, maybe not. Far as I know the only things taken into account for the OLM is miles, engine hours, idle hours.

It doesn't have a 'sensor' that actually checks the oil for build up of wear metals or fuel dilution. It only makes a calculation based on the above mentioned parameters. The truck has no idea how much fuel dilution is present (there will always be some, more if you idle alot and/or don't get it hot often).

I'm not attempting to tell anyone what to do with their truck but for me, oil changes are one of the CHEAPEST things you can do to prolong the life of an engine. No way would I go 8-10k on the same oil, modern oil or not. Too much unnecessary engine/bearing wear to save less than $100 for me.

The other issue I have with the OLM is the truck has no idea what oil is in the engine. It doesn't know if it's a 'top of the line' synthetic or cheapo 10w30 from wal-mart. There has to be a fairly significant difference between those 2 oils but the truck doesn't that into account.

Just my .02

Old 07-07-2012, 10:43 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I'm with Andrew and others. I can't run it much past 7,000, or if it's got 6000 and we're going to hook up the 5th wheel for a long trip I'll change it before I leave.

Quick Reply: Extended oil changes...